Surrealism

Copa Cabana

There's a Discussion topic open right now titled "Hyperrealism" that critiques very high standards put up by some factions. Despite having some truth to it, I don't see it being as a huge and far reaching problem in the server. Instead I'd like to shift the discussion over to exactly the opposite end of the spectrum - surrealism. The difference between joining a legal faction that teaches you all you need to know for your roleplay through IG experiences and guides versus factions where you join and get no help because the entire faction is basically a GTA Online lobby.

I know that IFM has taken steps to address the realism crisis, but it's too little too late. If we want to stop the carnage of 1930s level crime waves, we must make sure that ALL factions apply standards that match the way criminals operate in the 21st century. I bring you the consequences of not enforcing standards (or alternatively, enforcing standards that aren't even true today) as well as potential ways to stop it.

Consequences:

• Car loads of gang characters with (M) at the end of their names and checkered shirts on their body driving around entire LS looking for robbery victims.

• Criminals murdering law enforcement officers en masse over something that would only land one or two of the gang members in prison for a week or so.

• Criminals murdering each other en masse just to prove how "strong" they are and to protect their OOC ego.

• Organized crime factions going on dick measuring competitions and causing wars with each other over it that would realistically end in both sides locked up for life.

• Majority of criminal characters not even being afraid of prison or death.

• Poor understanding of how crime actually works and engaging in practices that are outdated (shaking down businesses like its the 70s or doing hits in middle of the streets with assault rifles).

• No fear of police investigations because cops are too busy chasing a car load of gang characters from the 1st point and will not have time to investigate organized crime.

• More things that skipped my mind.

Ways to fix it:

• It should be mandated by the IFM that all factions and groups have up-to-date resources and guides in their Discord servers. This would eliminate the possibility of poor illegal RP due to not knowing the ropes.

• Giving the law enforcement more tools and power to combat crime and investigate criminal activity. The LSSD has done a great job recently with their raids, but every time I read the press releases it is like "5 guns and 200 grams of cannabis were seized" which in GTA W's economy is basically pebbles.

• Enabling drastic sentencing for things that are way too wild to be done IRL. For example, a murder of a law enforcement officer should pretty much warrant a CK if the perp is arrested.

• Adding a section in Guides titled "IFM Approved Guides" which would feature RP guides for illegal RPers that are vetted by the IFM and considered to be "up to date" to today's criminal climate.

• RPQM enforcement in faction portrayals. It doesn't even have to be RPQM investigating the reports made on factions. The person who reports a faction MUST provide proof and sources that the portrayal of reported illegal faction does not match reality. Warnings could be issued and if they are not adhered, faction can be force-archived.

• Create initiatives and opportunities, both from OOC and IC standpoints for investigative journalism into crime. I would LOVE to see more crime journalists digging in and exposing facts about local criminal groups for the rest of the server to acknowledge ICly.

• Try and change the culture of how players who roleplay characters that turn into informants are perceived. I will be honest, there would be way more characters flipping and giving up their buddies if it wasn't for the OOC friendships and OOC reputation. If you have RPed a character that snitched once, some factions might steer clear of even accepting you in the future. I have no idea how to change the culture, but I hope there are ways.

If you have more to add to the topic, please comment, but do keep things civil and calm.

Edited by Copa Cabana
  • Upvote 25

I completely second this topic.

Last year, roleplaying as a legal character was challenging at times due to the crime waves that you've mentioned. My character could hardly work without risking getting maimed or killed outside of his workplace. Some incidents were so ridiculous that two different people got gunned down on the same spot within just a couple hours of each other. Having a violent city in today's America is totally fine, but I find it's exaggerated to the point of broken immersion.

What you've written about factions resonates with me as well. I've been on GTA World for over a year and I've made a point of actually avoiding factions, to the extent of refusing IC and OOC invites. I have made an exception to this rule only just recently. A lot of problems on this server would be resolved if it wasn't for the OOC controversy and interpersonal drama between players and their various groups.

Edited by 13 Ways
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Copa Cabana said:

• Enabling drastic sentencing for things that are way too wild to be done IRL. For example, a murder of a law enforcement officer should pretty much warrant a CK if the perp is arrested.

Two first-degree murder charges already results in life-imprisonment and murdering a Law enforcement officer can lead to life, as-well.

However, I do believe that a lot of crimes should result in larger sentences. Personally? I'd multiply them by 2. However, this server's not ready to R.P. in T.T.C.F., for some reason.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Two first-degree murder charges already results in life-imprisonment and murdering a Law enforcement officer can lead to life, as-well.

However, I do believe that a lot of crimes should result in larger sentences. Personally? I'd multiply them by 2. However, this server's not ready to R.P. in T.T.C.F., for some reason.

Great to hear that, and yes, things should carry heavier sentences. If you don't want to RP in T.T.C.F., don't do crimes or make sure you're careful when you do them. I've been RPing criminals since I joined this server and I was never caught on any of them because I RP careful and aware. I don't RP like it's Downtown Kabul and I'm safe.

The reason it's not hyper realistic is because it's a game. Who do you think it is irl who are searching for robberies in groups, and hitting quick cash robberies? Minors.

There is probably more then 1 shootout between police and criminal everyday in multiple places throughout the US.

I think this comes from lacking a full understanding of the real life streets and criminal psychology. The things that are really unrealistic on the server are the millionaire whiteboys who turn murderer in two seconds, the amount of separate crime groups of the same race/influence with substantial power (besides South Central), and generally the people who metagame and powergame as a general part of their RP.

We'll never get hyper realism because it's a game, I'm always confused reading threads like this because it's almost as if most people think if it's not a perfectly peaceful world then it's unrealistic. Groups of minors will run up on people who seem rich and rob them, it's a criminal way of making money.

• Upvote 4

Here's an idea: how about we create more legal businesses or legal infrastructure for better roleplay on both the illegal and legal side? The mafia didn't roll around in a minivan Masked up looking for victims to rob, they operated corrupt trade unions, building projects, etc. Street gangs are difficult because much of street gang culture is about being a shooter, but being a shooter in real life will get you thrown in prison until you're taken out in a body bag. Robbery, let alone **kidnapping**, which is so common on this server, goes laughably unpunished. 

Tl;Dr if you create more legal and rp oriented ways that citizens can make money, illegal rpers will follow along, rather than engage in the current joke of rooftop automatic TDM between 14 year old bloods and crips. 

I have lately been addressing some of the issues you listed to IFM, we can only see where it goes from here. I've said this in other threads, but my issue with ''organized crime'' is that they seem to lack balance between organized crime and street crime. You'll see factions that claim to be OC shooting AKs across a 4 lane road or committing some sort of mass shooting over simple insults. That is no longer organized crime, that's just stupidity. I wish PD and SD would have more people to investigate these things, because from the videos I have been seeing lately on these ''organized crime'' factions, I am wondering what sort of reading these people did about their concepts before claiming leadership roles of 20+ people factions. 

26 minutes ago, nateX said:

I wish PD and SD would have more people to investigate these things

PD and SD are lucky if they don't have less investigators by the end of the week. Retention has been difficult with rule breaks leading to weeks of investigation work being thrown out for a void. That paired with IFM shutting down any additional or current investigative resources that actually work because "iT's dEtRiMeNtaL tO tHe cRimInaL cOmMunItY" is leading to a fire that's burning through player interest twice as bright for half as long.

It's not just an issue of surrealism, it's how it's being applied only to one side as benefit and leveraged against the other to slow them down.

It sucks.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, 2Tall said:

Here's an idea: how about we create more legal businesses or legal infrastructure for better roleplay on both the illegal and legal side? The mafia didn't roll around in a minivan Masked up looking for victims to rob, they operated corrupt trade unions, building projects, etc. Street gangs are difficult because much of street gang culture is about being a shooter, but being a shooter in real life will get you thrown in prison until you're taken out in a body bag. Robbery, let alone **kidnapping**, which is so common on this server, goes laughably unpunished. 

Tl;Dr if you create more legal and rp oriented ways that citizens can make money, illegal rpers will follow along, rather than engage in the current joke of rooftop automatic TDM between 14 year old bloods and crips. 

Unfortunately the philosophy on faction management is that legal and illegal are two extremely seperated worlds that never work together. Pretty much every Government management faction, (Senate, LS city GOV etc) has a 'no corruption' rule. Factions that want to privatize parts of government duties, like a Private EMS company are stricken down a lot. Same goes with other sections of roleplay where the corruption of the private-public sector intermingling, like industry, is rare, far in between, and almost never supported.

Edited by KinnyWynny
  • Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Copa Cabana said:

Enabling drastic sentencing for things that are way too wild to be done IRL. For example, a murder of a law enforcement officer should pretty much warrant a CK if the perp is arrested.

The only issue I have with this is that you have a few supercops that give 0 damns about shootouts and similar scenes because they know CKs aren't forced on them. Teach and lead by giving the example.

DaQuan Shanterious the Third is none the wiser than his past two characters because the same cop got shot 20 times and is still going out and about - while they CK for nefarious purposes, get CKs forced on them or end up being CKed for some other reason. Yet officer CKs are so sparse and few in between that there's whole ass ceremonies being held over someone that just namechanged - something that happens daily in South Los Santos.

I can't take things freely when the people that uphold their factions and jobs as being 'dangerous to life, dedication to public safety and time consuming professions' don't get the same strains applied to them.

Of course I'm not outing for a mass CK Order 66 moment on whoever it is, but c'mon...play stupid games, win stupid prizes - should be THAT simple.

• Wuhtah locked this topic