Hyperrealism and gatekeeping role-play

Mahitto

3 hours ago, Mahitto said:

it promotes self-insertions and if it becomes the norm, it will do so even more; more people will simply role-play what they're relatively good at OOCly and not even bother trying anything new

So you're saying I should try starting my own gang of armed kids in Davis instead of playing what I know and enjoy?

Almost all jobs that are 'hyperrealistic' can be googled in seconds.

For PHMC, here's a quick google list:

• How to treat puncture wound (gun and knife crime)
  • Morphine dosage
  • How to treat cardiac arrest. 

And common sense stuff like blood needs to be inside and lungs need air.

Play what you enjoy and let it be realistic if you want.

Edited by Coburn
3 hours ago, Mahitto said:

there's an impossible barrier of entry into lots of jobs and factions - most people do not have the OOC knowledge (or time, or interest) to fully learn everything (and more) of what a paramedic, mechanic, manager etc. would do in real life. If you've never role-played something before, chances are you have no knowledge nor the ability to quickly become an expert.

I'll touch up on this, as it's something I've seen and done.

For most cases, there is no "impossible barrier". 

I was part of SD for a few month before my character retired. I had ZERO experience in LEO roleplay, terms and whatnot when I decided to join, however most factions like these are pretty "noob" friendly. They teach you, give you guides, tips, tricks and the players in those factions are usually friendly and willing to teach you. I was using a cheat-sheet for codes and radio usage for the better part of my first month until eventually I got used to it. No one, ever, gave me shit for doing it wrong. But instead taught me how to do it right.

As for mechanic RP, which is something I do quite frequently currently - I have no IRL knowledge or experience regarding mechanic stuff, but my character does. It just takes a few minutes every day to read up on things, or even make yourself a guide with bullet points that you can stretch later on when you decide to RP it. I denied employment for a lot of people at my own garage, because I specifically said we don't seek apprentices but rather experienced mechanics.

Am I going to deny you if your character is experienced, but you are not OOC? No at all. I'll provide you with guides and tips you can use during your RP and I will gladly help and answer any questions about it to the best of my knowledge and ability whenever I am able to. 

If someone doesn't have the interest in learning what they want to RP and provide good RP along with it, they shouldn't pursue it and perhaps look into something that interests them more. That's my opinion.

There's no impossible barrier. It all boils down to the willingness to learn, and dedicate time into something you wish to pursue. I understand people have busy lives, but if you want to learn something new, you can always make some time to read up on it at least - while you eat, while you are on your break, while you are smoking a ciggie, before sleeping... It's all up to the player to inform themselves and research if they really want to portray or partake into some avenues of RP. No one is going to outright deny you for lack of knowledge OOC. Most things are just a bit of research, common sense and will to learn - and it's really easy to tell apart from those who do it because they have interest in it, and those who do it for whatever reason but won't put a single inch of effort into it.

5 minutes ago, JackieH said:

I'll touch up on this, as it's something I've seen and done.

For most cases, there is no "impossible barrier". 

I was part of SD for a few month before my character retired. I had ZERO experience in LEO roleplay, terms and whatnot when I decided to join, however most factions like these are pretty "noob" friendly. They teach you, give you guides, tips, tricks and the players in those factions are usually friendly and willing to teach you. I was using a cheat-sheet for codes and radio usage for the better part of my first month until eventually I got used to it. No one, ever, gave me shit for doing it wrong. But instead taught me how to do it right.

As for mechanic RP, which is something I do quite frequently currently - I have no IRL knowledge or experience regarding mechanic stuff, but my character does. It just takes a few minutes every day to read up on things, or even make yourself a guide with bullet points that you can stretch later on when you decide to RP it. I denied employment for a lot of people at my own garage, because I specifically said we don't seek apprentices but rather experienced mechanics.

Am I going to deny you if your character is experienced, but you are not OOC? No at all. I'll provide you with guides and tips you can use during your RP and I will gladly help and answer any questions about it to the best of my knowledge and ability whenever I am able to. 

If someone doesn't have the interest in learning what they want to RP and provide good RP along with it, they shouldn't pursue it and perhaps look into something that interests them more. That's my opinion.

There's no impossible barrier. It all boils down to the willingness to learn, and dedicate time into something you wish to pursue. I understand people have busy lives, but if you want to learn something new, you can always make some time to read up on it at least - while you eat, while you are on your break, while you are smoking a ciggie, before sleeping... It's all up to the player to inform themselves and research if they really want to portray or partake into some avenues of RP. No one is going to outright deny you for lack of knowledge OOC. Most things are just a bit of research, common sense and will to learn - and it's really easy to tell apart from those who do it because they have interest in it, and those who do it for whatever reason but won't put a single inch of effort into it.

Honestly I know at least 25% of hyperrealism roleplayers would love to write a guide on their interests, because it's just that, something THEY are interested in. And they'd love to teach and share that.

Edited by Coburn
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, JackieH said:

Honestly, that isn't gatekeeping, or the problem. It's the opposite, I wish more groups, businesses, factions, ... were more open to doing that 🙂 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Coburn said:

Honestly I know at least 25% of hyperrealism roleplayers would love to write a guide on their interests, because it's just that, something THEY are interested in. And they'd love to teach and share that.

Exactly this. I wrote a guide about chopping vehicles because I was heavily involved in it for the good part of... around 6 months. Is it the most accurate, 1:1 with real life? Probably not. Is it a good guide to make the RP easier and enjoyable for whoever wants to partake in it and has no clue about it? Most likely.

If people that have a passion or have experience in certain roles or jobs wrote more guides, and people actually used them, this so called "gatekeeping" would be minimum, because if the interest and willingness is there, it's noticeable by everyone!

18 minutes ago, JackieH said:

This sums it up pretty well, what I've been explaining and how I used to go about roleplaying mechanic roleplay myself. We all have access to the most expansive knowledge database. I can personally say when I used to do mechanic roleplay. I would just Google it as a I went along. I never had a single complaint about the accuracy of my roleplay, sure some people were roleplaying it slightly differently to me. But, it wasn't really a big deal.

4 hours ago, DimitriS said:

When I started out in LSFD (for example) I knew jackshit about paramedicine, EMS practices, general treatments and whatnot. It didn't take me long, thanks to people like @KinnyWynny, for me to start picking things up. 

The roles sometime require you to do some base research to enhance it but nothing too hard, I know a lot of people that are currently in LSFD that aren't EMS in real life and still do the job. 

Just for reference, I am a software developer in real life, I have gone in plenty of fields in GTA:W and nothing even closely related to software development. So... It's not that bad, just requires a little bit of research.

Sorry for the tag, weather dude ❤️

Hey glad I could help!

I actually have some fairly strong opinions on this topic, and I know where OP is coming from, joining a faction you have no prior knowledge on and expecting to learn all of it seems daunting, it is daunting and it can be kind of scary. Back when I was in the LSFD, a big part of my enjoyment was simply teaching people how to at least be an authentic Paramedic, I never wanted people to learn the difference between lets say, Congestive Heart Failure and a Heart attack, one because you'll almost never see either, and two because I could just put that in a guide in case it was ever needed in the future.

The main goal I always tried to push, often times unsuccessfully (the amount of times I got called an elitist asshole is uh, a lot), is the fact that the best you can do is to provide an authentic experience, not a realistic one. What does that mean? Well when becoming a Firefighter/Paramedic, embrace the culture of an American Fire Department, learn how an Ambulance and its crew interact so you can enhance your roleplay. And learn a couple treatments that give your patient a better roleplay experience. Focus on asking story driven questions, like medical history, or what happened to the patient, learn their name, etc. Most of the medical shit? Can be slapped into a guide, controlled F and referenced, no one is going to know everything at the start, you gotta build them up and eventually they'll pick stuff up on their own.

Now there are still basics people should learn, and thats important to maintain standard, like someone said before, the bare minimum for EMT/Paramedics is to learn the difference between bandaging, for Paramedics to know what an IV is, etc. But thats what initial training and field training is mostly for. The rest is having passionate people ready to look this stuff up, or maybe having people who work in the field give advice and experience.

I don't really like fixation on hyperrealism, like I've seen people quote specific brands of medical items that even I barely know about. Plain english is good, be authentic, realism can come second.

5 hours ago, Mahitto said:

The problem and reason for this topic is that more and more businesses are moving from that requirement and require extensive, real-world knowledge of these concepts. Reading some articles doesn't cut it. To make it a bit clearer, one example is one of my characters having applied for a position as a gun store clerk and being asked to go through a basic theoretical and practical test which actually included some pretty in-deth knowledge on weapons, how they work, types and brands, models and calibers, procedures, gun laws and such. I was lucky to have some experience in this area but for someone who wants to start learning or role-playing this, or someone new to the server, that would've been absolutely impossible to pass, unless they've had a pretty strong passion and a lengthy history with guns. I've seen the same thing happening in factions and businesses, mechanic garages, nightclubs, security companies and many others and it seems to be a trend that's spreading.

Honestly, people forget it is a game, we are not applying for a real-life job. In my business I need people I can trust IC and people who somewhat know how to talk to customers, which is two things by which I hire people. I can't trust you? I do not hire.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

Hey glad I could help!

I actually have some fairly strong opinions on this [...] I've seen people quote specific brands of medical items that even I barely know about. Plain english is good, be authentic, realism can come second.

You're the hero we need thanks ❤️ 

The person who knows the minimal knowledge for roleplay scenes is having a lot more fun than the person who spent hours researching every niche and bit regarding it. If you're too caught around with details that only you know and only care for then you're not having fun. No one outside of your circle of roleplay cares that you know "advanced" EMT training or that you know some niche case law, or what gang belongs in what part of Los Angeles. Literally no one cares for your niche knowledge.

• Wuhtah locked this topic