Suicides (Self-CK) should not be allowed to Name Change

Welsh

Exactly people that just want to create random drama and suddenly rp a depressed char, I hate that. One of my characters is very depressed but that came to what have been happening to him over the time of 1800 hours. What I'm saying is I'm totally OK when people head towards a suicide when the rp they been getting made them feel that way but not over something stupid. Remember guys a real suicidal person isn't going to shout out loud that he wants to end it, can't take more. They won't because they want to succeed by finally being released from all their pain they experience thus making sure no one would stop them (At most times, I guess... there's always exceptions but this is what most of the times happen)

Edited by LeNova
6 minutes ago, LeNova said:

Exactly people that just want to create random drama and suddenly rp a depressed char, I hate that. One of my characters is very depressed but that came to what have been happening to him over the time of 1800 hours. What I'm saying is I'm totally OK when people head towards a suicide when the rp they been getting made them feel that way but not over something stupid. Remember guys a real suicidal person isn't going to shout out loud that he wants to end it, can't take more. They won't because they want to succeed by finally being released from all their pain they experience thus making sure no one would stop them (At most times, I guess... there's always exceptions but this is what most of the times happen)

I agree. If the RP eventually leads up to it then sure.  I'm just tired of attending suicide calls that essentially make fun of mental health and are rpd properly. Hell the last few I've been to the person just PKD....

5 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

This. I'm in the same situation - I unfortunately have had friends both attempt and succeed... but I wouldn't ban the role-play. I genuinely feel for all of the people who've had to go through such horrible moments, victims and close ones, and I know how bad it is and it feels.

Rape, paedophilia, and the other forbidden types of role-play? I understand. But we can't start banning general ideas left and right just because it can offend people. Most people would have reason to be affected by the gross stuff that's happening on the server. The same applies for all other crimes - from murder to robbery to simply immoral things like harassment and racism. There's at least one person here who's been directly affected by one of each types of crime. The important thing is to not self-insert ourselves.

If someone's role-play is sub-par, refer RPQM to them. I've seen way too many people trollishly commit suicide (even two-three days ago, someone yeeted themselves off of the Hawick motel, just like that), but I've also seen people do it properly. Our OOC feelings towards IC crime should not cause it to be forbidden. Of course it'll touch a nerve, it's crime - unfortunately...

Exactly, we're on a HEAVY roleplay server and suicide and depression definitely exist IRL. I think removing too many types of roleplay totally shuts down certain ways we can develop our characters. Is suicide th ban or how about attempted suicide too? I am bias because this does affect my character

Just now, Fenris said:

I agree. If the RP eventually leads up to it then sure.  I'm just tired of attending suicide calls that essentially make fun of mental health and are rpd properly. Hell the last few I've been to the person just PKD....

I also feel there should be an ooc agreement when it comes to participating/starting suicide rp.

1 minute ago, Fenris said:

Then I think a better approach would be to contact RPQM vs outright banning roleplay.

I welcome the debate on both sides of this. 

I believe my original post was aimed more towards the throw away characters and those who show a lack of RP or regard to the overall situation 

Edited by TotalDeeJay

We're fine with creating a roleplay environment in which 13 year olds shoot eachother on the daily, but suicide is too sensitive of a topic for the community?

Suicide is truly a tragic and awful thing and anyone contemplating it should immediately seek help, but roleplay - and especially GTA:W - seeks to imitate life; including the parts that are of an unsavory nature. While I agree that suicide RP is most often just used as a way for characters/players to cry out for attention, and rarely leads to constructive RP, that doesn't mean we should start doing away with concepts merely because they are sensitive by nature.

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste
typo - typing on a phone...
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

We're fine with creating a roleplay environment in which 13 year olds shoot eachother on the daily, but suicide is too sensitive of a topic for the community?

Suicide is truly a tragic and awful thing and anyone contemplating it should immediately seek help, but roleplay - and especially GTA:W - seeks to imitate life; including the parts that are of an unsavory nature. While I agree that suicide RP is most often just used as a way for characters/players to cry out for attention, and rarely leads to constructive RP, that doesn't mean we should start doing away with concepts merely because they are sensitive by nature.

A well raised point on other aspects of Roleplay that are sensitive in nature. 

But should users be able to Name Change, in a situation that has led them to Self-CK? (Using the server terminology)

13 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

I think it's not about "too sensitive", the core motivation is that- in our game environment unironically- people use suicide as a way to escape consequences their character would possibly have to suffer from.

That alone would not be problematic, but the quantity makes the total amount, not the (ic or ooc) motivation. And here we run into the problems.

13 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

seeks to imitate life; including the parts that are of an unsavory nature.

This is the key: Realistically, you'd not have a that big percentage of the population suiciding as you have in LS (arguably that is because we don't respawn with clear warrant sheet irl if we fuck up).

While for the acting player it seems as easy way out, it still leaves the dynamic environment of the character to deal with (often yet another) suicide case in the neighbourhood to which people will then react (with in creasing ignorance over time as it's so common someone does it).

Suicide-rp, furthermore, is almost always not actually dramatic but the tactical attempt to put the blame for some failure on another players' character (while at the same time conveniently erasing the own ic knowledge that might possibly clear up things).

Enforcement is not possible, as you can't force people to play characters they do not want to play anymore, but indeed what could be done is simply less support for suicide rp from staff side.

Let people just run from the city as it used to be if they're bored of their character.

No one suffers trauma from some asshole leaving town

Edited by knppel
  • Welsh changed the title to Suicides (Self-CK) should not be allowed to Name Change
  • Wuhtah locked this topic