Suicides (Self-CK) should not be allowed to Name Change

Welsh

If you want to name change, have your character disappear by moving into a different country or going to see family.  I'm not normally against telling people what they can't rp but I honestly hate suicide rp having come across it IRL due to my work and other personal issues. It's not something that should be done lightly and a lot of suicide RP I've come across is the player just roleplaying it for in their eyes 'a laugh' and a quick way out of something. Just don't. You put those around you in a difficult position IC (Unless they just shrug it off), and it can be a big trigger for those out of character.

Edit: If theres character development into it then alright, but I've seen several people just do it because they're bored. Hell I've seen people somehow PK from a suicide which.... I don't even get.

Edited by Fenris
  • Thanks 1

I mean, suicide is tough topic, and basically my heart goes to every victim. However, if we'll be banning every sensitive thing, we'll not be able to RP any illegal concept soon. We have a lot of gangs/mafias/murders on the server? Shall we ban that too? I mean, there is a lot of scary things on server, but RP server should imitate life, with some minor tweaks. If that's too much for someone, well, I'm afraid that GTA: RP isn't game to turn to. That's like coming into COD game and claiming that you are against guns... Doesn't make much sense, does it?

Also, we'll not do much if we forbid the RP. There will only be raise of MVA's with fatal outcome, or suicide by cop... Etc...Etc... In other words, we can only EDUCATE people how to RP better, how to stick to their character etc... Repression never works.

Edited by Revolter
  • Upvote 2

You can just buy a namechange. Yes it costs money, but honestly it's a minor contribution to the server. While it requires legit copy of the game, which means people had to buy it. The server doesn't run on steam, it requires money to maintain, to upgrade and run in general. Which is why some features and options are based on donations, which I agree on. And honestly most of factions on the server are gangs, not every, but majority. Gang members usually don't have much, nothing that couldn't be achieved within a day or two. So deleting said character and creating new one is an option as well. These are workarounds, so you don't have to suicide. Yes namechange will not be free, but you can always roleplay your character moving out of the city or something else. Doesn't have to be death.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Revolter said:

I mean, suicide is tough topic, and basically my heart goes to every victim. However, if we'll be banning every sensitive thing, we'll not be able to RP any illegal concept soon. We have a lot of gangs/mafias/murders on the server? Shall we ban that too? I mean, there is a lot of scary things on server, but RP server should imitate life, with some minor tweaks. If that's too much for someone, well, I'm afraid that GTA: RP isn't game to turn to. That's like coming into COD game and claiming that you are against guns... Doesn't make much sense, does it?

Also, we'll not do much if we forbid the RP. There will only be raise of MVA's with fatal outcome, or suicide by cop... Etc...Etc... In other words, we can only EDUCATE people how to RP better, how to stick to their character etc... Repression never works.

This.

41 minutes ago, TotalDeeJay said:

There will also be players who have either lost friends or family to Suicide or have attempted or had those thoughts themselves, that I feel it is completely inappropriate RP that shouldn't be carried out in the first place. 

I have had my fair share of situations involving suicide on my LEO character and trust me, they're not enjoyable; there's nothing enjoyable about such situations, they lack originality, they usually don't make sense and more often than not, they're just pointless cries for OOC attention. But I don't stand by this or this suggestion, at all. Role-play is and often covers sensitive topics. That's part of the (ugly) beauty of it - life is not fair, it's not all roses and stuff happens. However, it's important to be able to tell reality from fiction, to keep them separate and to not self-insert ourselves into our characters. Life sucks, but censoring all role-play that can trigger someone will lead to... well, no role-play.

The problem is that all illegal or immoral role-play can touch a nerver of someone who has or knows someone who has went through that particular thing. By that standard, we should be completely banning all illegal and immoral role-play, with no exception. There are players who've lost loved ones to murders, there are players who've been robbed or know of people who have, there are players here who've unjustly been the victims of racism, homophobia, sexism or other types of discrimination. There are people here who've seen or lost people to gang violence. There are people here who've lost loved ones to manslaughter too, or police brutality, or many, many, many others - basically, to everything you can imagine. I'm sure that this type of role-play can strike a nerve and can be considered completely inappropriate by some. Myself included. However, that doesn't mean that we should be forbidding and censoring role-play because of our OOC feelings towards it.

• Upvote 1

Having read the replies to this so far, I can see some fair points being made against this suggestion.

How about Suicide being treated like a CK Application? While some have raised the point that there can be serious RP development that would lead to that situation, or on the basis of OOC Toxicity e.g.

With an application in line with CK Apps, this maybe would discourage those with throw away characters or who just want to cause drama over genuine RP?

I understand the seriousness of suicide IRL I've had friends and relatives even who've attempted it. But, to ban people from commiting it ingame is stupid. Suicide 100% exists and is a real serious thing so I agree it needs stronger RP than /me yeets himself off the roof but to outright ban it is just a stupid idea IMHO feel free to reply and give further insight but this is my opinion.

As an example one of my characters is a veteran who has severe PTSD which can and does sometimes give him suicidal thoughts. Does this mean I can no longer dive into this type of roleplay because it may trigger some people? Truthfully, I created the character with the sole purpose OF TRIGGERING YOU. Make you realize the real sad reality of being a veteran.

Edited by Juicebox.
1 minute ago, Juicebox. said:

I understand the seriousness of suicide IRL I've had friends and relatives even who've attempted it. But, to ban people from commiting it ingame is stupid. Suicide 100% exists and is a real serious thing so I agree it needs stronger RP than /me yeets himself off the roof but to outright ban it is just a stupid idea IMHO feel free to reply and give further insight but this is my opinion.

This. I'm in the same situation - I unfortunately have had friends both attempt and succeed... but I wouldn't ban the role-play. I genuinely feel for all of the people who've had to go through such horrible moments, victims and close ones, and I know how bad it is and it feels.

Rape, paedophilia, and the other forbidden types of role-play? I understand. But we can't start banning general ideas left and right just because it can offend people. Most people would have reason to be affected by the gross stuff that's happening on the server. The same applies for all other crimes - from murder to robbery to simply immoral things like harassment and racism. There's at least one person here who's been directly affected by one of each types of crime. The important thing is to not self-insert ourselves.

If someone's role-play is sub-par, refer RPQM to them. I've seen way too many people trollishly commit suicide (even two-three days ago, someone yeeted themselves off of the Hawick motel, just like that), but I've also seen people do it properly. Our OOC feelings towards IC crime should not cause it to be forbidden. Of course it'll touch a nerve, it's crime - unfortunately...

• Upvote 1
  • Welsh changed the title to Suicides (Self-CK) should not be allowed to Name Change
  • Wuhtah locked this topic