Neutral Characters and the crime rate: What's the point?

ChromaticDeath

Cherry-picking three words from the OP doesn't invalidate the rest of the concerns shown. So a crackdown happened- that's great, that's progress, but it really isn't much when the weight of the other issues is taken into account. Roleplaying a civilian is still like roleplaying a civilian on an ARMA Operation, the only difference is a lack of Apache gunships. I've been part of a few huge operations against criminal factions in my time when I was Metro K-9. They took a very long time to organize and execute, and the only reason they were able to be put forth at all was because those being raided were good enough roleplayers to stick around and roleplay with us. It does happen, but it doesn't happen enough to offset the massive amount of bad roleplay.

unknown.png
raid.png

Edited by ChromaticDeath
6 minutes ago, Jeroen said:

Cat-ear wearing """"""mallrats"""""" aren't the peak of roleplay. Yet I appreciate them more than robbers, especially if they John Wick robbers with their PF guns.

Let us appreciate that we have such a huge problem with the state of the crime rate that several people in this thread has defended the poor portrayal of some PF owners as at least being better than that.

1 minute ago, mana said:

815738088504295446.png?size=24 🤝 838530609465786409.png?size=24

These kinds of operations takes weeks, if not sometimes months to plan out properly, and they're moreso targeting the good roleplayers who are actually sticking around long enough on a character and with a group for it to be possible to track ICly by LEO. I think most people in this thread has problems with the current robbers who are poorly portrayed, not part of any group besides their friend group, and who name change whenever they get caught by the police, or simply continue the same kind of behavior once they get out of jail.

I remember during my time as a DA several times that people I was handling the criminal case of name changing because they didn't want the player anymore now that they were looking forward to life in prison, or a.very long sentence, and I was baffled how often I had to report this, as it is against the rules to NC if you have an active case about you. Worse than that, it indicated to me clearly that a lot of people don't want to roleplay the consequences of their actions.

I love big operations like the one you linked, as they are a progression of a story, and gives legitimacy to the LEO during the operation and rewards their hard work, and it makes illegal factions more credible too, as it shows they are big and powerful enough to be cracked down upon, and that they have survived long enough to be worth the trouble.

I am very happy with this thread. It is the first time I have seen so many people be civil with each other and actually discuss the problem at hand, and I think that fact actually adds to the validity of the claims.

20 minutes ago, Protheus said:

These kinds of operations takes weeks, if not sometimes months to plan out properly, and they're moreso targeting the good roleplayers who are actually sticking around long enough on a character and with a group for it to be possible to track ICly by LEO. I think most people in this thread has problems with the current robbers who are poorly portrayed, not part of any group besides their friend group, and who name change whenever they get caught by the police, or simply continue the same kind of behavior once they get out of jail.

The operation started a couple of days after multiple cops were gunned down in a certain area: it was definitely a great effort from those who took the time to organize it. At the same time, though, people namechanging or just avoiding us aren't really of concern. If they're the ones who were involved or somehow related to the shooting? Great, they live out the consequences. If they're simple bystanders caught in the crossfire, then they live the consequences of what happens in their area and get some motivation to prevent it from happening again. The heat brought upon their block is the same heat they'll have to deal with.

Persons without the willingness to understand what happened there will simply jump to think that we were bored out and chose to abuse our power (barring in-character narratives, although everyone who got arrested got told who to point their fingers at anyway)—the rest will understand and know exactly whose fault it is for the operation taking place: it is no one else's other than the people who were involved in the shooting and the gang that gives them a name. Those people can be outcasted and sent off, and if that doesn't take place, then all other gangs in the area are more than welcome to shoo the troublemakers out.

If none of those two things happen? That's completely fine: they'll deal with continuous injunctions and investigative holds and go through the expected repercussions of behaving the way they are. The same approach can be taken for all types of gang-related violence, although the similar "warzone-like" principle that applies to many other areas of the server and not only gang environments is unfortunately still there and will continue to take place until management comes to a ruling about it. Although clear already, no amount of theorizing or discussion will fix the issue on its own.

21 minutes ago, ChromaticDeath said:

Cherry-picking three words from the OP doesn't invalidate the rest of the concerns shown.

I only posted here and quoted that so I can post the bureau handshake emotes, but YDY.

Edited by mana
24 minutes ago, Protheus said:

Let us appreciate that we have such a huge problem with the state of the crime rate that several people in this thread has defended the poor portrayal of some PF owners as at least being better than that.

I'm absolutely not defending it, but at least they're better than the problem at hand.

7 minutes ago, Protheus said:

It is the first time I have seen so many people be civil with each other and actually discuss the problem at hand, and I think that fact actually adds to the validity of the claims.

Unironically, talking about things- as a community- helps:

Even if it might not immediately fix things everyone's way, such debates are healthy and needed to find a broader consensus about crucial questions affecting everyone's playstyle -for example the unasked question how much victims the civilians are supposed to provide for criminals.

7 minutes ago, mana said:

The operation started a couple of days after multiple cops were gunned down in a certain area: it was definitely a great effort from those who took the time to organize it.

Chiming in here as it was mentioned few pages earlier, our presence there yesterday as well as the interview-attempt were directly related.

As @Jeroen speculated correctly, I did suspect ic it might be a bad idea to commit an attempted interview in broad lantern light on the open road.

Local Crime Enforcement reacted quickly and shut it down, we moved to the studio.

Excellent thread @ChromaticDeath 

I barely go outside while I play my neutral law-abiding citizen character who does not own a PF gun. Why? Too many robbery squads pulling up and jacking you of all your cash/items. I'd love to have my character relax on the beach, have a picnic in the park or simply just walk around the city without the fear of being robbed. However, it's impossible if the rules allow robberies to happen anywhere - no matter if it is done in a place that is meant to be packed with people. 

To be fair to the other side, I've had excellent robbery encounters where my illegal character was robbed. It made perfect sense for said robbery to occur because it was dark outside, I was behind a building with no CCTV out of plain sight, and the robber was wearing a balaclava (The whole situation made a great story on my character thread too).

8iVq1nu.png

The key difference as to why this robbery is better than most robberies done nowadays on the server? He did not demand in /b that I hand over every single asset on me. He may have demanded that of me IC (which I was happy to do) he clearly roleplayed the fear of being caught, hence him only nabbing the cash. All in all, whoever you are, I commend you for your realistic portrayal of a thief. 

Quite frankly, the only way to enjoy the server in this current state is either to become a criminal, do not stay outside for too long or whip out the PF and shoot back at the robbers.  

Edited by SweetDaffodil
1 hour ago, Jeroen said:

Just because criminals find committing crimes fun doesn't mean that victims are enjoying themselves.

Being a cop and shooting at people is occasionally fun, however sometimes you just want to head into a bar or 24/7 and be able to order coffee or a snack and chat with the patrons, without getting a 911 call because a shootout at Chamberlain Hill happened again... the 13th time that day.

This, it is near impossible to actually RP (aside from endless calls such as going to grab a take-away coffee) if you are a part of FD. Its either you log on when the server is dead and have little calls but nowhere is open and no one is around or you go online when businesses are open and get dispatched to a call constantly with no stop (Around 85% of them being PD calling because someone got shot) It just isn't fun to RP and usually ends up with me just heading off duty.

Edited by Now You See Me
  • Applaud 1