Neutral Characters and the crime rate: What's the point?

ChromaticDeath

I believe being a neutral character in the server makes you fodder for the illegal roleplay community, and nothing more. This server is faction leaning heavy, to the point civilian roleplay is either stay inside all day, go to yet another club/bar (because normal businesses are scared to open because of extortation), or just become a ricer (or ERP if that's more to your taste, I guess).

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Woona said:

I believe being a neutral character in the server makes you fodder for the illegal roleplay community, and nothing more. This server is faction leaning heavy, to the point civilian roleplay is either stay inside all day, go to yet another club/bar (because normal businesses are scared to open because of extortation), or just become a ricer (or ERP if that's more to your taste, I guess).

Isn't that status quo what we're trying to fix by discussing potential solutions to the unrealistic illegal roleplay happening on the server?

The issue is howevermany-sided as they come, calls such as DUI's or domestic disputes illicit lower and slower responses than an officer asking for an additional for a traffic ticket, despite having potential loss of life. On the same side of the coin, I too don't wanna go deal with high energy roleplay that requires me to be vigilant after a few hours of mindless pursuits and davis shootings over traffic stops, sometimes I do get the feeling of just wanting to chill and take lower risk calls, do traffic stops, talk to people at open businesses, and all that. But the crime rate is absolutely insane, not only a night ago we had to have all three (yes, we brought state parks into the city, cry about it, they have a gun and a POST certification. ) of our law enforcement agencies assisting with inner-city calls, and stuff /still/ got through. Bodies litter the streets, suspiciously empty despite having casings all around them, FD is nowhere to be seen after a few hours because they're tired of having to deal with PD/SD/PR's mess, and then whatever else is tossed ontop as a result of gang shootings, and even DMEC, who directly profit off of the bodies, get bored. 

Something needs to change, be it punishments or agreeing that yes, the inside of a metropolitan city with millions of residents cannot simply be suspiciously empty whenever Mask_FHJKS_273 wants to rob someone for their phone, greatly inconveniencing them with no real gain besides a few laughs at the contents and using it for thirty minutes to then leave it in a property for the rest of time itself.

The fix is hard, but, the quality of the server has noticeably decreased since May, despite the development team's work and admins working more than ever, telling people "don't do it again" doesn't really drill the point in. When you tell people they can rob anybody anywhere in LA with nobody being around to witness it, why would they stop when they crash their car? Why would they roleplay being shot once or twice? The base level of realism has decreased by allowing streets to become empty when crime occurs, almost magically, so it's almost hard to blame people for not roleplaying crashes or injuries.

If a tree falls in a forest and nobody can hear it, does it even make a sound? 

Edited by Kari
  • Upvote 5
23 minutes ago, radreaper100 said:

pretty obvious the solution to drastically reducing crime is unchaining leo agencies and letting them actually do their job

I don't want to be that guy pal, but this just seems like you're promoting a faction (you're more than likely a part of) for the sake of having more fun in the game. Which I completely understand, but adds absolutely nothing to this current topic. All these people in Park Rangers could've and possibly were in PD/SD before this faction was created and the crime rate was still obnoxious. When a person approached me on the street IG the first thing I think is: "Oh God... Here we go again, let me run my pockets for you already". 10-15 more cops driving around isn't going to fix that, new meta's will be created and you'll just be dragged into a car and driven somewhere discreet to take your items.

However, it's not a robbery thread and its only a very small part of the increasingly big issue that is created on the server now. And while its only a small issue, its one of those things that happens so frequently to you or the people around you, and it impacts your roleplay so significantly if you were to take things realistically that is no longer viable to go unchecked.

So I'd like to, once again propose an idea I've presented before. Limit robberies to official faction members ONLY. I'm pretty confident that all these shit tier robberies (or other public crimes for that matters tbh) are not done by the "illegal community" they're committed by illegal mallrats who are bored and want more guns to continue their crime spree. The same people that'll namechange after being arrested so that they don't have to face consequenses. They don't care, they have no story, development, or contacts outside of their OOC friends which they commit these crimes with and will continue doing so on their new characters.

While yes, this will impact some players on the server? Everything you do has its positive sides and negative sides, letting it go unchecked is going to create an increasingly pessimistic and cynical community for the people who don't roleplay illegal characters. The negative here, is that random rule-abiding and proper roleplayers without a faction are going to be restricted a little more. But the pro's are... Robberies will be of higher quality, because official factions police themselves. They don't want their members to get publicly reported or ajailed as it'll reflect bad on their faction. They also don't want poor quality roleplay screenshots on their threads, and they don't want IFM giving them strikes/warnings for having members who involve themselves in the "crime-grind" mindset.

You're also going to be motivating solo players to join factions, which is also a good thing in my opinion because factions are very good ways to have fun on this server and feel part of something bigger and thus, you're creating more interactive and quality experiences for the players around you, and for yourself.

Think about it.

Edited by Martyn
  • Upvote 4
  • Applaud 1

Problem is when you get so many people from different backgrounds and ideas of what a serious RP should be, their is gonna be conflict. You can't please everyone all the time, so like most businesses they will follow the trend which tends to head towards cops and robbers. I would say the majority of people who play are either illegal or legal so most of the content released will be for them. For a long time illegal role players complained that legal role players got it all, but I feel with the new schemes and tier system that is implemented or being talked about they are heading the right way for illegal roleplay in general.

As for neutral players it's difficult to implement as its a niche sector. Like you have someone who plays a journalist who might want one thing, then a person who roleplays a construction worker to want another. So you won't ever get everything you want for your certain character. But there has been alot added over the years, news channels which you can access on the server with a command when it's announced. Construction vehicles which can be used to RP building stuff. Medical roleplay which is the most in-depth from any other server from what I've seen in my experience. 

As for robbery RP being boring for one party. If roleplayed correctly what's the problem with it? Dozens happen everyday in a big city no matter where you are, which is the purpose of a gated community in America as they don't feel safe out of it. People don't like playing to lose no matter how much they say they do, but if it's not roleplayed correctly report it in game or on the forum's.

The admin team are undermanned and in some places under experienced in the knowledge that is needed to properly maintain a high level of accurate roleplay. I'm not saying I know everything about everything and that's my point, no amount of VICE videos or YouTube whistle blowers can teach us everything.

The way new people are treated on this server is pretty laxed, so new people can learn how to roleplay properly without having super experienced and elitist people lord over them if they make a small mistake.

TLDR: I feel like server offers the best all round roleplay experience for all types of roleplay, I feel like the way they don't just out right ban is commendable giving people a chance to learn. The admin team try there best with the limited experience they have of legal and illegal situations.

• Upvote 1