Reallow "looking for work" ads

Mahitto

2 minutes ago, Phased said:

I tried answering sarcastically - that obviously didn't work so I'll word this out better.

While you can post that you're looking for work on LinkedIn, or put a post in a magazine that you're probably one of the only 20 people that still buy paper magazines, these don't go out to everyone in your city.   Posting them in game via ad means it goes on every single players screen and it is just weird to see.   A 15 year old in Davis isn't checking your LinkedIn, but if they see it and can interpret it as they wish too, they can see your advert on every billboard on the city.   

If you post it on the forums it opens it up in a realistic manner where someone who was actually looking to employ it would see it, instead of everyone on the server.   Putting them back in game has no merit, improves nobodies experience and just adds to shit we see on screen every day which is completely irrelevant to our roleplay.

Logic makes no sense here. People are allowed to sell their personal cars or items of value through the ads system, which goes out to everyone. Your logic could easily be applied to any number of ads that are allowed in-game already. There is absolutely merit to allowing job ads because it increases the real time, in-game interaction between two players rather than adding an unnecessary step to have to post it on the forums first and hope that someone in-game is looking at the forums. I'd rather post an ad in-game and get a real time response while we're all active in-game. This would absolutely benefit the server.

11 minutes ago, Phased said:

I tried answering sarcastically - that obviously didn't work so I'll word this out better.

While you can post that you're looking for work on LinkedIn, or put a post in a magazine that you're probably one of the only 20 people that still buy paper magazines, these don't go out to everyone in your city.   Posting them in game via ad means it goes on every single players screen and it is just weird to see.   A 15 year old in Davis isn't checking your LinkedIn, but if they see it and can interpret it as they wish too, they can see your advert on every billboard on the city.   

If you post it on the forums it opens it up in a realistic manner where someone who was actually looking to employ it would see it, instead of everyone on the server.   Putting them back in game has no merit, improves nobodies experience and just adds to shit we see on screen every day which is completely irrelevant to our roleplay.

So what you're saying is that we should get rid of all in-game ads, completely, as that's the case for all of them. Your 15-year-old from Davis would also probably not see the vast majority of these other ads that we have in-game. But that's a different suggestion that you can make yourself, if you choose to do so. Regardless, in order to allow more flexibility, the ad system is usually portrayed by most in various ways and depending on the advert. If your character wouldn't realistically see an advert, then don't role-play seeing it. You're also not realistically able to look around in third person.

The "looking for work" ads, though, were one great way for people (especially newer players) to get into actual role-playing and encouraged role-playing and interaction in general. Our current system does the opposite.

1 minute ago, Wuhtah said:

Hi - I'm reading and hearing. How can we compromise to make everyone happy? Or compromise so both sides feel heard? 

How about allowing such ads with some sort of bare minimum of effort being put into them (a minimum length, for example - to exclude poor attempts such as "looking for any work"). Or, as someone suggested here, by having another category in the /ads section dedicated only to hiring people & looking for work, that doesn't give notifications but acts as an ad (appears when you post it, takes money, goes away when you log off etc - not like the I menu thingy).

2 minutes ago, Wuhtah said:

Hi - I'm reading and hearing. How can we compromise to make everyone happy? Or compromise so both sides feel heard? 

A previous reply of mine:

Everyone says they'd rather not see "21 one female looking for work", then amend the rules so that they need to be structured a certain way. You don't need to include your age or your gender in the ad, to be honest.

Hell, give them their own section in the /ads CEF and a separate command, then simply don't print them in chat. Use /workad Brand new in the city. Looking to work in a bar or similar establishment. That way employers know where to go look for them. Simple. The in-game interaction needs to be focused on. I know management wants people to use the site, but at some point it becomes counterproductive to have to add in the extra step of using the forums rather than staying in-game to post an ad to an active several hundred people.

Without adding development time as suggested above, if that's not possible? Amend the rule section to specifically allow these kinds of ads to be posted in a specific manner. Age and gender and nationality isn't really relevant, doesn't need to be there. You need contact information, what kind of job you're looking for or what you're willing to learn. Sure, it's an OOC control measure, but it allows people to report the ads that don't follow the format.

For developmental features - that might take a bit longer. I was hoping to bring this suggestion up in the January staff meeting for management's eyes. 

So, I hear the developed features, and I also hear the non-developmental features where we can tweak the rule a bit to make it more realistic. Having some examples (which I see) would be great too. Some people will take it as a "willing to work in any business" type ordeal, so we do need to specifically state what is allowed and what isn't. What could be some suggestions to this?

10 minutes ago, Wuhtah said:

For developmental features - that might take a bit longer. I was hoping to bring this suggestion up in the January staff meeting for management's eyes. 

So, I hear the developed features, and I also hear the non-developmental features where we can tweak the rule a bit to make it more realistic. Having some examples (which I see) would be great too. Some people will take it as a "willing to work in any business" type ordeal, so we do need to specifically state what is allowed and what isn't. What could be some suggestions to this?

My personal opinion is that we should simply allow these as we used to before, and separately require some bare minimum of effort for ads in general. I don't think there's anything wrong with people advertising looking for any job - it's a common thing in real life too, especially for lower paying job. Many people out there looking to make a quick buck, willing to do anything that pays some money. The only thing to consider is to have people put some effort into writing theirs ads - sure, not requiring a whole paragraph, but not "need a job" or "buying car" either. Even if it's more general, something a bit more eloquent can be written.

But all in all, I just think that we should allow these ads as we used to before. If someone doesn't want to see them, they can simply disable the notifications. I don't think we'd have many more ads either way - some people are already advertising "looking for work" right now, but they're doing it against the rules. As it currently stands, most people don't really care about 95% of the ads that are being posted. Having ten more at the cost of encouraging role-play is really a no-brainer from my point of view.

And thank you for putting effort into helping us out! 

I'll bring it up to the January staff meeting! I'll get staff opinion + management opinion then and I'll update this thread when that happens. In the meantime - more pro's/con's will be helpful in the continuation of this thread if anyone else has anything to add.

• Upvote 1