Reallow "looking for work" ads

Mahitto

Everyone says they'd rather not see "21 one female looking for work", then amend the rules so that they need to be structured a certain way. You don't need to include your age or your gender in the ad, to be honest.

Hell, give them their own section in the /ads CEF and a separate command, then simply don't print them in chat. Use /workad Brand new in the city. Looking to work in a bar or similar establishment. That way employers know where to go look for them. Simple. The in-game interaction needs to be focused on. I know management wants people to use the site, but at some point it becomes counterproductive to have to add in the extra step of using the forums rather than staying in-game to post an ad to an active several hundred people.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Phased said:

Yeah, every time I've applied for jobs in real life I haven't looked at companies hiring I've put out billboards, started a radio advertisement campaign and paid for google ads.  That's super realistic.

The ad medium is not billboards, radio advertisement or google ads though? You have people advertising selling their personal cars on there. That's a classified ads medium. You can't say one thing, but allow another out of convenience. There's no reason someone can't sell a car on the forums, so why is it allowed in-game? There's no reason someone can't sell "an item of value" on the forums, so why is it allowed in-game per the rules? All these things can also be done on the forums, yet job ads are not allowed? Makes sense.

10 minutes ago, Phased said:

Yeah, every time I've applied for jobs in real life I haven't looked at companies hiring I've put out billboards, started a radio advertisement campaign and paid for google ads.  That's super realistic.

Most consulting contracts I got in the last years were obtained after I set myself as "available for work" on LinkedIn though :x 

10 minutes ago, Phased said:

Nowhere is it defined how to role-play the /ads system. You can role-play it as a billboard, you can role-play it as a listing you've seen or posted on Craigslist. You can also role-play it as a Linkedin Profile or anything of the sorts.

Also, there's nothing "realistic" about our in-game hiring process. Companies don't hire people on the spot. With very few exceptions, you won't call a random number, go in to an interview five minutes later, then get hired and start your first shift within the next five minutes, then get a month's salary in an hour. And that's okay. Our in-game eco system is different than the real-life one. Regardless, being forced through so many hoops to find a job is pointless when you can post an ad and instantly be connected to other people who need your services, play in your timezone and want the same information.

Just now, Phased said:

How often did you post on Linkedin that you were 21 and Italian?

Doesn't have to be that way. This can be done to where it benefits everyone, rather than divulging into a "Age/Sex/Looking for work" fest.

I tried answering sarcastically - that obviously didn't work so I'll word this out better.

While you can post that you're looking for work on LinkedIn, or put a post in a magazine that you're probably one of the only 20 people that still buy paper magazines, these don't go out to everyone in your city.   Posting them in game via ad means it goes on every single players screen and it is just weird to see.   A 15 year old in Davis isn't checking your LinkedIn, but if they see it and can interpret it as they wish too, they can see your advert on every billboard on the city.   

If you post it on the forums it opens it up in a realistic manner where someone who was actually looking to employ it would see it, instead of everyone on the server.   Putting them back in game has no merit, improves nobodies experience and just adds to shit we see on screen every day which is completely irrelevant to our roleplay.

Edited by Phased