What happened to Truckers and Trucking Companies?

Vash Baldeus

I think there are a few main issues. First, the bugs. There are quite a few bugs that sometimes make trucking not enjoyable. There is a bug that keeps businesses on the crate request list even if they have no money. With the new economy update, those business banks no longer go into the negative like they used to. There's no way to know what business is out of money until you spend the time to go there and deliver crates. When you use the /sellcrate command, there's a notification they are out of money and it deletes the crate you're holding with no refund. This is just plain a waste of time and energy. Trying to get that fixed here: https://forum.gta.world/en/topic/67479-trucking-bug-businesses-stay-on-the-request-list-even-if-they-have-no-money/. I think because of this issue, a lot of truckers stick to the same businesses they know will have the best chance of not wasting their time. There's nothing worse than driving across the city or driving out to the county to find out they can't buy the crates you are carrying.

Second issue is the the freedom with which businesses can set a price for their crates. I understand the thinking behind it, but its a double edged sword. Truckers value time over everything in most cases. A business paying $250 per crate that's 2+ miles away will never take precedence over a business paying $300-$350 a crate that's only 1 to 1.5 miles away. Truckers will prioritize high paying, low distance runs. That's just the nature of the business.

Personally, I don't think deliveries within the city should take very long. Additional supply points for each kind of business could be scattered on the opposite side of the map (think Ocean View Customs/MAD Customs side near Rockford and the Del Perro Pier) so businesses that are farthest away from the main ports don't suffer. The solution is to decrease the distance to drive to businesses farther away from the existing supply points, by implementing new supply points on the other side of the city. The county (Sandy Shores / Paleto) should have its own functioning ecosystem that doesn't rely on city truckers at all. Supply points should be added out in the county that suffice for any kind of business. This way we can have functioning trucking companies in both Los Santos and Blaine County, apart from each other. 

14 hours ago, Cypher99 said:

[...] Additional supply points for each kind of business could be scattered on the opposite side of the map (think Ocean View Customs/MAD Customs side near Rockford and the Del Perro Pier) so businesses that are farthest away from the main ports don't suffer. The solution is to decrease the distance to drive to businesses farther away from the existing supply points, by implementing new supply points on the other side of the city. [...]

What about a solution that pays based on distance? For example, the business always pays the same amount per crate, let's say $250, into thin air. The trucker, on the other hand, gets paid based on the distance between the supply point and the dropoff point, and the money is spawned in. That way there is no difference between doing short routes within the city, or long routes out to Sandy Shores etc. Maybe that would spread out the truckers, make it more even, and more fair? Just an idea I had.

38 minutes ago, BaBulie said:

What about a solution that pays based on distance? For example, the business always pays the same amount per crate, let's say $250, into thin air. The trucker, on the other hand, gets paid based on the distance between the supply point and the dropoff point, and the money is spawned in. That way there is no difference between doing short routes within the city, or long routes out to Sandy Shores etc. Maybe that would spread out the truckers, make it more even, and more fair? Just an idea I had.

Anything that's not based on role-play (crates, distance, time etc.) itself will promote grinding.

Just now, Mahitto said:

Anything that's not based on role-play (crates, distance, time etc.) itself will promote grinding.

Like truckers aren't grinding the Port -> Autoholics route endlessly already. My suggestion simply changes how the payments are made, it still has to be roleplayed, like it is now.

1 minute ago, BaBulie said:

Like truckers aren't grinding the Port -> Autoholics route endlessly already. My suggestion simply changes how the payments are made, it still has to be roleplayed, like it is now.

What I mean is that the payment should be done hourly, like any other job, and the same amount. That would stop people from grinding but rather allow them to focus on role-playing. If you, as a trucker, decide to spend an hour role-playing with a business owner or with other truckers, in a bar etc., you're losing money. If you were to be paid via the $4,000/hour bonus system, then you would be able to do any route (as the number of crates/routes/distance wouldn't matter anymore) and take your time role-playing.

19 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

What I mean is that the payment should be done hourly, like any other job, and the same amount. That would stop people from grinding but rather allow them to focus on role-playing. If you, as a trucker, decide to spend an hour role-playing with a business owner or with other truckers, in a bar etc., you're losing money. If you were to be paid via the $4,000/hour bonus system, then you would be able to do any route (as the number of crates/routes/distance wouldn't matter anymore) and take your time role-playing.

Ah okay, sorry I misunderstood what you said earlier, my bad. An hourly pay is a good solution, similar to getting paid by distance, but you also get paid for loading/unloading crates, and everything that goes with that. It would be a bit difficult to make sure people don't just drive around in circles for a couple of hours, not delivering their crates, and still getting paid though.

6 minutes ago, BaBulie said:

Ah okay, sorry I misunderstood what you said earlier, my bad. An hourly pay is a good solution, similar to getting paid by distance, but you also get paid for loading/unloading crates, and everything that goes with that. It would be a bit difficult to make sure people don't just drive around in circles for a couple of hours, not delivering their crates, and still getting paid though.

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess it could be coupled with some sort of system to check whether they're actually working or role-playing or just trying to play the timer. Maybe require 2 deliveries per hour, or something of the sorts.

29 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

The company should be paid instead of the truckers. The company gets based paid based on performance and the truckers get paid by the company. Truckers not doing their job well? Fire them.

On 1/9/2022 at 10:33 AM, mj2002 said:

The company should be paid instead of the truckers. The company gets based paid based on performance and the truckers get paid by the company. Truckers not doing their job well? Fire them.

Honestly this. As someone RPing a trucker, I'd prefer to do this than grind for $$$. It'd incentivize me to not ignore less profitable routes IC b/c I get paid the same anyway. 

Edited by Kassandra
  • Wuhtah locked this topic