What happened to Truckers and Trucking Companies?

Vash Baldeus

Just now, Phased said:

The possible issue you're describing already happens with people doing copy paste jobs - but at least they are getting stock to businesses.   If the server wants to stop self-insert supercar owning models that's not something directly related to trucking and half of them bail to higher profit things pretty quick anyway.   Why should the average player who wants to roleplay having a job while in an MC, or people in LCN groups trying to start trucking companies have to abide to an unnecessarily strict  rule to prevent others from being "grinders".  

No server should be forcing players to send messages into the abyss, the concept behind something is roleplay enough.   

Again, I don't agree with the current system, which is why I suggested a simple new one in this very thread.

Still, with the current limitations, this is a necessary evil. It's a needed common ground between proper role-play and rushing/grinding the job. One of my characters is in a LEO faction and even with this otherwise pointless rule of having to do a /me for every box, I can't tell you how many truckers I (and all of us) deal with, speeding at 120 mph through the city, parking their vehicle almost inside the store, with some horrendous character development and interactions. Imagine removing it and having all of this, but removing the very little role-play some of them do.

Regarding the /mes, they don't ever add any character depth no matter what. If there's someone around, they see a "/me unloads a crate" 20 times. If there's nobody around, you type (or copy paste) "/me unloads a crate" 20 times. Nobody wins anything, really. 

A previous suggestion mentioned that getting rid of /unloadcrate 20 times, would be nice, I kind of agree ^^' And someone else ( @Mahitto I think? Not sure, I'm bad with names) mentioned that a per-hour payment may be better, to discourage people from rushing deliveries. 

It's true that right now, if you pause to chat with a business owner, you're literally losing money - possibly a lot of it. Removing this may encourage people to have more meaningful interactions: whether you stop to RP or not, you still earn the same so it doesn't matter. But overall, my most interesting delivery RP moments were definitely not those useless mandatory /mes though. :x 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

Again, I don't agree with the current system, which is why I suggested a simple new one in this very thread.

Still, with the current limitations, this is a necessary evil. It's a needed common ground between proper role-play and rushing/grinding the job. One of my characters is in a LEO faction and even with this otherwise pointless rule of having to do a /me for every box, I can't tell you how many truckers I (and all of us) deal with, speeding at 120 mph through the city, parking their vehicle almost inside the store, with some horrendous character development and interactions. Imagine removing it and having all of this, but removing the very little role-play some of them do.

Other than James Nickleson camping the road outside of the docks - I have seen maybe four police characters interacting with truckers.  I have seen a lot more of them ignoring traffic situations, especially trucks parked over sidewalks because they are too busy chatting on teamspeak or in my personal experience from my short time in PD - literally crying with rage because they died and lost a pistol because of a P1.   

That idea of making people type each time doesn't stop that because that could easily be dealt with in character, but it's not "fun" so most police roleplayers pretend they don't see it.  If you haven't heard someone literally say "I didn't see that" in the PD/SD teamspeak to avoid dealing with something they don't enjoy you've not been listening.

14 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

The /me's add nothing to the role play experience. Going to have to disagree with you on this one. It's already a grind job. People don't type the /me's out to develop their character, they type them out because they are made to. It has not stopped anyone from grinding. The single best thing to prevent that is to do what you already suggested and change trucking payment into a flat hourly payment like other jobs on the server. The /me's have not affected people's ability to grind nor has it somehow completely impacted their character development in some form or fashion. It's just noise. I work in trucking, I see it every day. You can argue about this until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't change the facts.

• Applaud 1
9 minutes ago, Phased said:

Other than James Nickleson camping the road outside of the docks - I have seen maybe four police characters interacting with truckers.  I have seen a lot more of them ignoring traffic situations, especially trucks parked over sidewalks because they are too busy chatting on teamspeak or in my personal experience from my short time in PD - literally crying with rage because they died and lost a pistol because of a P1.   

That idea of making people type each time doesn't stop that because that could easily be dealt with in character, but it's not "fun" so most police roleplayers pretend they don't see it.  If you haven't heard someone literally say "I didn't see that" in the PD/SD teamspeak to avoid dealing with something they don't enjoy you've not been listening.

I can assure you that at least for SD (and I'm pretty sure for PD too), people don't do that. No one's sitting around in teamspeak and refusing to role-play or interact with other people, no one's crying over losing a gun (if you die whole on-duty, you don't lose your weapon since the gun is not yours to begin with?). Sure, it might have happened a few times but it's not a regular occurence. If you know of someone doing this, though, report them, as such behavior is not tolerated.

I can't speak for everyone but my opinion is that the reason most LEO players don't enjoy interacting with truckers is because such interactions don't really lead to anything. They don't lead to character development, they don't lead to a change. I myself have seen many traffic stops on truckers where the driver literally sits there quietly, waits for the ticket (or warning) and then goes on their way, back at it. Their behavior or characters are not influenced by a $1,000 ticket - they make much more money by breaking in-game laws and parking chaotically, and they won't stop doing it because of a few tickets every now and then.

3 minutes ago, 99 said:

The /me's add nothing to the role play experience. Going to have to disagree with you on this one. It's already a grind job. People don't type the /me's out to develop their character, they type them out because they are made to. It has not stopped anyone from grinding. The single best thing to prevent that is to do what you already suggested and change trucking payment into a flat hourly payment like other jobs on the server. The /me's have not affected people's ability to grind nor has it somehow completely impacted their character development in some form or fashion. It's just noise. I work in trucking, I see it every day. You can argue about this until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't change the facts.

I agree, it adds nothing to the experience but I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to add anything to begin with. This is just my opinion but I'm pretty sure the reason this rule was implemented was to stop people from literally rushing through and making the job an RPG grind. It obviously failed to do so. Yeah, people copy-paste their /me's. That's against the rules, I've seen people get punished for that but not much is changing. The whole system needs a rework, though. I don't like the current one at all.

1 hour ago, PeopleKind said:

From personal experience, the slow militarization of the port area, all the random stops & searches for no reason really kills a lot of drive for truckers. Just my two cents.

Protip: alcohol deliveries, firearm parts deliveries, and Gorman's. The routes can be nice, the pickup points aren't in the port, those are the only ones I run now ^^' I've stopped delivering to garages a while ago though, for the reasons you mentioned. Even if they raised the crate buy price to $1000 it would still not be worth having to go around the port. 

Edited by Topinambour
4 hours ago, Mahitto said:

Their behavior or characters are not influenced by a $1,000 ticket - they make much more money by breaking in-game laws and parking chaotically, and they won't stop doing it because of a few tickets every now and then.

Maybe I'm the minority here, but not gonna lie, this has affected the development of my character. I used to be a massive speeder back when I was still quite new. I was getting pulled over decently often. In the beginning, I was just getting warnings, so of course I didn't care much about it. But eventually, warnings turned into tickets that got higher and higher.

Everything basically changed when my character was pulled over during a trucking shift for speeding 110 down the highway and I received a ticket that was around... 5-6k? It was a lot of money. This was about 2 hours into my trucking shift and I had earned about 7k in that time. To lose the majority of that work due to one ticket officially made my character stop speeding entirely. It's just simply not worth it to speed and deliver crates a few seconds faster and then risk losing it all. So now, today, my character is a pure road law-abiding citizen. Whether I'm trucking or just driving, I follow the road laws perfectly now. I haven't been pulled over for... anything in months now.

Sure, you can say this was money-driven. The reason why this ticket affected my character so much as to quit speeding, was mostly entirely due to money. I lost 2 hours of work because my character wanted to speed to a delivery point. But at the end of the day, my character's behavior was indeed influenced by a large speeding ticket. And I think that's pretty good character development on my part.

• 2 weeks later...

Another point that businesses should probably be aware of:  If you open a business that needs "Food" in the city, you're gonna have to offer at least $350 per crate to get any deliveries, because it looks like the only food supplier is up near Sandy Shores.  Not sure why there isn't any food supplier in the city tbh.  "Fruit Machine" is one such business which is probably suffering due to this.  I see them asking for crates and offering $300, but it's not appealing when there's others also offering $300 and it's port>city delivery route.

Looking at the shipment requests, other places like cafes and restaurnts just request "General Goods" and not "Food".  I guess there is a lack of consistency on what business requires what.

Edited by Paenymion
  • Wuhtah locked this topic