What happened to Truckers and Trucking Companies?

Vash Baldeus

1 hour ago, Nightmare Night said:

Sorta fixed, not nearly stable enough. If you hit a highly populated area, it freaks out and goes back to where it was first loaded in for the group.

That's not something I'd call fixed. Honestly RageMP is a bit downer when it comes to sync, more than once I noticed the change log speak of Syncing things up, why the game mode dev' has to do sync.. why can't the Game Client (RageMP) do it..

Unless there's GTAV issue with making all the sync via RageMP without Gamemode developers syncing things themselves..

I’d just like to toss in a few ideas I had. I don’t know how practical they are but could be worth thinking about. Here’s my idea for new trucking improvements: 

Business in need of components put out requests that can be picked up by truckers or companies. For example, “I’m buying 5,000 components for X price.” A phone number is also included for the truck driver to contact the customer. Customers will need to be online in order to get their shipments. Truck drivers then would need to coordinate with the customers in order to figure out where to deliver shipments and other instructions (hence fixing the lack of RP concerns). This is somewhat similar to the system used IC for buying alcohol from breweries or places other than liquor stores.  Payments would then be handled IC rather than through a script.

Because of the improved RP quality and time put into planning a shipment, I think the amount of components a truck can carry  per shipment should be increased. A simple idea would be  small vans = 2,500 components, medium trucks = 5,000, and large trucks 10,000 components or something like that. Certain IC certification could also be necessary in order to drive larger trucks. Less going back and fourth for shipments = more focus on RPing out the deliveries. 

This new system would would fix the lack of RP concerns, improving the quality of shipments while eliminating the redundancy of grinding to earn money. Shipments become more personable and businesses could maybe even compete with rivaling business to set up shipment contracts with businesses.

I will admit, there is one downside I noticed to this system. An issue would be if you typically play in a time zone that not many other players play on. This might make it hard to find drivers. 

On 12/25/2021 at 1:43 PM, Mahitto said:

Increasing the pay would be a bad idea. We already have people rushing through and abslutely grinding the job, this would only incentivize people to do that more. We shouldn't get people to get into trucking because they can make a ton of money (and even more by grinding it out), but instead make it a regular job that pays a regular amount but creates some cool RP opportunities. What should happen instead is this, in my opinion.

1. Everyone should receive the $4,000/hour bonus - the timer would count if they're either actively role-playing or driving. The only condition would be to make at least a few deliveries per hour (or a number of miles, in order to also encourage delivering to businesses that are further away). Regardless of how many delieveries they make, everyone would get the same amount - this is the only way to descourage people from grinding, and instead encourage role-playing; you'd be making $4,000 regardless of whether you're doing some nice role-play and development, interacting with the warehouse, other truckers or businesses, or if you rush to make 100 delieveries. There would be no incentive.
  2. The way trucking companies should make money is by receiving the component cost or a part of it, and the other could go to the government to cover the hourly salary/bonus. Companies could then use that extra money to compete against other companies by offering employees bonuses, or to create an off-duty environment (maybe some areas or businesses, mapping, events etc.).
  3. Remove the trucking ranks. Everyone should be able to drive any vehicle they want from the get-go. It would be down to personal preference and character portrayal to choose between a Speedo or a large truck.
    • In combination with the above, there would be no difference between choosing a big rig or a small van. We'd still have some variety.
  4. Increase the amount of components per crate, so that it'd be faster to fill up a business. If no business requires components, truckers could deliver to server-owned ones.

The way the current system works is nice, it's sustainable, but it's not perfect. I believe that this (or a variant of it) would be a better fit for a heavy-roleplay server: for businesses, for truckers, for the staff team and for everyone else.

I think this is the best suggestion so far. I highly agree. Ideally, to be realistic it would be nice to have trucking exams and based on your classification determines what you can drive and what you get paid. But I think Mahitto's suggestion for everybody to be paid the same amount makes the most sense for in-game to discourage grinding and to allow variety of trucks used. Because otherwise, everyone will just go for the highest license possible and we're back to square one.

But at the end of the day too we have to remember, no matter what you do to solve a problem, eventually people will find a way to beat the system.

i recall reading a long paragraph or two about mod garages being affected by trucking, and apparently truck robberies were the root issue

but that's since been resolved (as i recall) as truckers get paid through bank rather than cash, so i would guess that most people find the job boring

i've done it a few times myself, and if we put money aside, the leveling system isn't very forgiving and feels like a long road before you can drive a big vehicle, the /me and /do for loading/unloading becomes very repetitive after a few runs, more so when you realise nobody is actually around most of the time when you're doing it, and it's generally quite time consuming for very little reward, the only thing that makes it better is if your route can run along the highway and it feels like a good haul instead of stopping at an intersection every 10 seconds, but even then it won't stop the monotony of loading/unloading crate rp, "it's like this in real life" isn't a good argument either

taxiing used to open up far more rp opportunities than trucking does, on top of getting to meet all kinds of people and having a reason to drive around the city, it also pays better, but i believe demand for taxis have gone down since the summer

On 12/25/2021 at 12:43 PM, Mahitto said:

Increasing the pay would be a bad idea. We already have people rushing through and abslutely grinding the job, this would only incentivize people to do that more. We shouldn't get people to get into trucking because they can make a ton of money (and even more by grinding it out), but instead make it a regular job that pays a regular amount but creates some cool RP opportunities. What should happen instead is this, in my opinion.

1. Everyone should receive the $4,000/hour bonus - the timer would count if they're either actively role-playing or driving. The only condition would be to make at least a few deliveries per hour (or a number of miles, in order to also encourage delivering to businesses that are further away). Regardless of how many delieveries they make, everyone would get the same amount - this is the only way to descourage people from grinding, and instead encourage role-playing; you'd be making $4,000 regardless of whether you're doing some nice role-play and development, interacting with the warehouse, other truckers or businesses, or if you rush to make 100 delieveries. There would be no incentive.
  2. The way trucking companies should make money is by receiving the component cost or a part of it, and the other could go to the government to cover the hourly salary/bonus. Companies could then use that extra money to compete against other companies by offering employees bonuses, or to create an off-duty environment (maybe some areas or businesses, mapping, events etc.).
  3. Remove the trucking ranks. Everyone should be able to drive any vehicle they want from the get-go. It would be down to personal preference and character portrayal to choose between a Speedo or a large truck.
    • In combination with the above, there would be no difference between choosing a big rig or a small van. We'd still have some variety.
  4. Increase the amount of components per crate, so that it'd be faster to fill up a business. If no business requires components, truckers could deliver to server-owned ones.

The way the current system works is nice, it's sustainable, but it's not perfect. I believe that this (or a variant of it) would be a better fit for a heavy-roleplay server: for businesses, for truckers, for the staff team and for everyone else.

Easily the best way to go.

Couple of suggestions:

• Instead of selecting shipments to deliver, make the script auto select for you dependant on the vehicle size (Vans for shorter, more inner city routes.  Pounders for longer journey's.) and location.
  • Payment to be made based on vehicle size and distance from supplier as opposed to per crate.
  • Increase the number of supply points on the map to make it practical.  Firearms and ammunitions never get delivered due to the distance between supply point and business.
  • Remove the pickupcrate, loadcrate, sellcrate commands, make it less spammy.
  • Remove the tax on deliveries when you own your own vehicle.
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

How about people started focusing on roleplay instead of oocly grinding money? First question, that people should ask is...does it makes sense for my character to actually be a trucker or delivery van driver? Cause you know, trucking and driving a supply van is not the same.

Well, that's kinda where we have an issue. Because if you want to RP a Pounder truck driver for example, you have to grind a whopping 500 deliveries with the speedo van before you can do so. Unless you want to just RP trucker without actually using the script, which... doesn't really work. 

Basically, we should remove the truck unlock system. Let people drive whatever they want so people aren't OOC'ly grinding hundreds of deliveries just to unlock the truck they want. Right now, every single trucker on the server is forced to start as a van driver, no exceptions. That gives people who want to specifically RP truck drivers and not van drivers zero freedom, they are forced to be a delivery van driver.

Now sure, if you want to RP a van driver, you're in luck because it's the first vehicle. But if you want to RP a long haul truck driver, too bad. Gotta spend a good few months grinding out them deliveries. Truck unlock system has got to go. Let people drive what they want and change the way money-making works so that all trucking vehicles make the same amount. Then we'll start seeing people care more about RP than money.

• Wuhtah locked this topic