What happened to Truckers and Trucking Companies?

Vash Baldeus

Why do you always have to bring the real world and how this whole situation is so much realistic? I understand that a roleplay world without problems isn't fun, but isn't this too much? People are here to have fun, create, and do what most of the times they cannot do in real life. If the pandemic isn't roleplayed on the server there has to be a reason. It sucks, there is nothing fun in it. What's fun in the current situation? Nothing. People would like to roleplay around their business because they have a project, they have hopes, and most importantly they have free time because this period they don't have much to do. 

Why do you hate people having fun? 

• Applaud 1
12 hours ago, Heartnett said:

Honesty, you could create a great RP session with that shortage. A business owner could get in contact with any trucking company to make any sort of contract to make the trucking company deliver crates to the business on demand. Of course extra money will be sacrificed to encourage the trucking company to order the truckers to deliver the crates to the said business. The trucking owner/representative could either distribute the bonus money across the truckers who delivered the crates, or keep the money to themselves. I dunno but I honestly see this crisis bringing more RP to the business  owner and the trucking company. I could be wrong though 🤷🏻

True, some of the trucking companies are probably doing this already, I believe, In the company my character works for, we have a contract with a garage that would pay extra for every crate the truckers deliver, so the more crate you deliver the bigger your bonus will be, the contractor would calculate the bonus themself and transfer it to each of the truckers' account every 1-3 days.

But then again, the problem in the company my character works for is lack of activity by the truckers, people do trucking for a while till they make some good cash and then leave/stop trucking. I know that trucking is a repetitive thing to do and it takes up some time depending on how much you wanna grind, which is not for everyone. But IF you have an entirely active company (community) there could be more roleplay to do rather than just grinding the job, starting from within the company itself to interaction between company and business owners. 

Edited by JFronzo

How to fix it:

1. Increase the payment by giving an extra per mile, if the business is in 5 miles, give them an extra for those 5 miles (5 miles on the gps)

2. Remove the RPG thing, let people to buy their own license and trucks, IRL I don't need to start as a courier to be able to drive a big truck, I can rent/buy/work for a company and drive such truck having my own license.

3. If the point 2 is not possible, increase the crates capacity to the Van, Mule and trucks, and reduce the requirements to increase your trucker rank.

4. If 2 and 3 aren't possible, increase the profits per crate or increase the components per crate.

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, Jennie said:

How to fix it:

1. Increase the payment by giving an extra per mile, if the business is in 5 miles, give them an extra for those 5 miles (5 miles on the gps)

2. Remove the RPG thing, let people to buy their own license and trucks, IRL I don't need to start as a courier to be able to drive a big truck, I can rent/buy/work for a company and drive such truck having my own license.

3. If the point 2 is not possible, increase the crates capacity to the Van, Mule and trucks, and reduce the requirements to increase your trucker rank.

4. If 2 and 3 aren't possible, increase the profits per crate or increase the components per crate.

100% agree with this.

3 hours ago, Jennie said:

How to fix it:

1 and 2 I agree with, and would like to add to it the suggestion of increasing trucks' prices if it doesn't happen.

Increasing the pay would be a bad idea. We already have people rushing through and abslutely grinding the job, this would only incentivize people to do that more. We shouldn't get people to get into trucking because they can make a ton of money (and even more by grinding it out), but instead make it a regular job that pays a regular amount but creates some cool RP opportunities. What should happen instead is this, in my opinion.

1. Everyone should receive the $4,000/hour bonus - the timer would count if they're either actively role-playing or driving. The only condition would be to make at least a few deliveries per hour (or a number of miles, in order to also encourage delivering to businesses that are further away). Regardless of how many delieveries they make, everyone would get the same amount - this is the only way to descourage people from grinding, and instead encourage role-playing; you'd be making $4,000 regardless of whether you're doing some nice role-play and development, interacting with the warehouse, other truckers or businesses, or if you rush to make 100 delieveries. There would be no incentive.
  2. The way trucking companies should make money is by receiving the component cost or a part of it, and the other could go to the government to cover the hourly salary/bonus. Companies could then use that extra money to compete against other companies by offering employees bonuses, or to create an off-duty environment (maybe some areas or businesses, mapping, events etc.).
  3. Remove the trucking ranks. Everyone should be able to drive any vehicle they want from the get-go. It would be down to personal preference and character portrayal to choose between a Speedo or a large truck.
    • In combination with the above, there would be no difference between choosing a big rig or a small van. We'd still have some variety.
  4. Increase the amount of components per crate, so that it'd be faster to fill up a business. If no business requires components, truckers could deliver to server-owned ones.

The way the current system works is nice, it's sustainable, but it's not perfect. I believe that this (or a variant of it) would be a better fit for a heavy-roleplay server: for businesses, for truckers, for the staff team and for everyone else.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Mahitto said:

Increasing the pay would be a bad idea. We already have people rushing through and abslutely grinding the job, this would only incentivize people to do that more. We shouldn't get people to get into trucking because they can make a ton of money (and even more by grinding it out), but instead make it a regular job that pays a regular amount but creates some cool RP opportunities. What should happen instead is this, in my opinion.

1. Everyone should receive the $4,000/hour bonus - the timer would count if they're either actively role-playing or driving. The only condition would be to make at least a few deliveries per hour (or a number of miles, in order to also encourage delivering to businesses that are further away). Regardless of how many delieveries they make, everyone would get the same amount - this is the only way to descourage people from grinding, and instead encourage role-playing; you'd be making $4,000 regardless of whether you're doing some nice role-play and development, interacting with the warehouse, other truckers or businesses, or if you rush to make 100 delieveries. There would be no incentive.
  2. The way trucking companies should make money is by receiving the component cost or a part of it, and the other could go to the government to cover the hourly salary/bonus. Companies could then use that extra money to compete against other companies by offering employees bonuses, or to create an off-duty environment (maybe some areas or businesses, mapping, events etc.).
  3. Remove the trucking ranks. Everyone should be able to drive any vehicle they want from the get-go. It would be down to personal preference and character portrayal to choose between a Speedo or a large truck.
    • In combination with the above, there would be no difference between choosing a big rig or a small van. We'd still have some variety.
  4. Increase the amount of components per crate, so that it'd be faster to fill up a business. If no business requires components, truckers could deliver to server-owned ones.

The way the current system works is nice, it's sustainable, but it's not perfect. I believe that this (or a variant of it) would be a better fit for a heavy-roleplay server: for businesses, for truckers, for the staff team and for everyone else.

How dare you suggest something logical that makes sense. I am offended.

Support ++++

Edited by - Alfie -

Trucking is very much a job for new characters on the server, their generally isn't a lot for players to do around it except earning money. It's boring. If the amount of players joining the server reduces the less amount of players trucking. Even the players that RP around trucking companys aren't going to be trucking all the time since it doesn't take to long for them to make a reasonable amount of money. If they trucked enough to solve the shortages they'd probably hate playing and get in trouble for having a unrealistic character since they'd be rich.

The list is to big on /startshipment now. Some places get completely ignored due to this, especially if they don't offer any extra pay. One idea I had is that if a business has not received a delivery from any trucker for 7 days it automatically gets refilled and the money taken. I know we want the economy to rely on truckers but this isn't always ideal. 7 days is quite a while to not be able to run a business and likelihood is at some point in that most businesses will receive some crates, perhaps not full stock but some.

Long term trucker here (Well, trucker manager).

I've ran multiple trucking businesses on GTA:W in my time, including Busch Transport Group, IMEX Logistics, Bluewater Logistics, and now Coastal Freight - each time I've found it harder and harder to recruit new people into the business.

In my eyes, the issue is the grind, and the lack of roleplay - and I'm not sure how that can be solved. It feels very RPGish when trucking, I've personally never done it, my character is in his late fifties/early sixties and is a manager, not a worker. I get the feeling people really don't want to grind the script, get hassled by the Port and the Police for rushing deliveries, which without doing makes the job unworthwhile. 

Something that may attract truckers is actually being able to use Semi trucks and trailers? We've had discussions about this for over 2 years now and I'd personally love to see it. The sync is fixed and I see no reason as to why the shouldn't be added?

For the time being, I'd also like to see the driver rank and vehicle unlock system changed. There was a good suggestion for this some time ago, I'll try and dig it out and add it here.

• Wuhtah locked this topic