What happened to Truckers and Trucking Companies?

Vash Baldeus

1 hour ago, Stanty said:

The only active trucking company I see nowadays is IMEX.

I believe the main problem is that garages require a lot of components and they are located close to the Terminal. Regular businesses usually request 200 crates on average while garages request 10,000+ and that number goes up extremely fast too. Truckers can focus on those garages only and they won't ever run out of work while other businesses are left unattended.

One way to solve this is to increase the capacity of the trucks. Currently Speedo holds 5 crates, change it to 7, Boxville from 8 to 10, Mule from 12 to 15, Benson from 15 to 20, Pounder from 20 to 30.

That way truckers will have a legitimate chance to keep up with the amount of components garages spend and then focus on other businesses too.

This is definitely one of the core issues. The change that mechanic shops have with parts using twice as many components has created the issue of garages always needing massive amounts of components. As a result, they take precedence over any other store or business, especially with three of them in the city so close to the supply points at the docks. Why take longer deliveries for the same price when you don’t have to? That’s the trucker logic. Hell, I’ve even seen stores with bonuses get ignored because truckers can still make more money completing more deliveries to the closest mechanic shops in the same amount of time. 

Other issue is that the trucking script is just plain boring. Whether or not companies create the occasional RP drivers, it’s mainly a very repetitive job with little to no interaction when you’re out on the road. You repeat the same pick up and drop off /me lines, just reworded each time to avoid going insane. People only last so long before moving on to better things. 

Edited by - Alfie -
2 hours ago, Heartnett said:

Honesty, you could create a great RP session with that shortage. A business owner could get in contact with any trucking company to make any sort of contract to make the trucking company deliver crates to the business on demand. Of course extra money will be sacrificed to encourage the trucking company to order the truckers to deliver the crates to the said business. The trucking owner/representative could either distribute the bonus money across the truckers who delivered the crates, or keep the money to themselves. I dunno but I honestly see this crisis bringing more RP to the business  owner and the trucking company. I could be wrong though 🤷🏻

Issue is finding an active company.

2 hours ago, Stanty said:

The only active trucking company I see nowadays is IMEX.

I believe the main problem is that garages require a lot of components and they are located close to the Terminal. Regular businesses usually request 200 crates on average while garages request 10,000+ and that number goes up extremely fast too. Truckers can focus on those garages only and they won't ever run out of work while other businesses are left unattended.

One way to solve this is to increase the capacity of the trucks. Currently Speedo holds 5 crates, change it to 7, Boxville from 8 to 10, Mule from 12 to 15, Benson from 15 to 20, Pounder from 20 to 30.

That way truckers will have a legitimate chance to keep up with the amount of components garages spend and then focus on other businesses too.

I fully agree with this.

I mean in October there was a big gap between truckers and orders. There was the problem that there were almost no orders for two four days. By December, the list of orders has increased significantly, which is probably due to a decrease in the number of truckers.

A wish of many truckers is to drive a semi. I don't know about compatibility, but that might help a bit.

I'd also greatly appreciate it if businesses could only have open ads for buying components if they actually have the money to pay for them when they get there. There's nothing more frustrating than hauling a truckload of crates all the way to a business just to have it read "this business can't afford your products" when you try to actually make the delivery.

11 minutes ago, Sush said:

I'd also greatly appreciate it if businesses could only have open ads for buying components if they actually have the money to pay for them when they get there. There's nothing more frustrating than hauling a truckload of crates all the way to a business just to have it read "this business can't afford your products" when you try to actually make the delivery.

Simple solution really, business bank empty? Do not post him on asking for delivery.

On 12/23/2021 at 7:52 PM, Wasloos said:

Trucking is still very much active. The only problem Is that usually, the only trucking routes people choose are the ones that pay a little extra on top of the 250 OR the ones where the route is fairly short, so they can drive a bigger truck faster.

This is false, my business is at 350 constantly and in two days only a few hundred components have been delivered.

I'm not sure about increasing the crate capacity of trucks. The problem with a lot of businesses is that their delivery points are awful for truckers, forcing them to go back and forth many times in a row. Making truckers go back & forth 30 times instead of 20 will make it worse, not better 😛 

Even if the delivery bay is great, it only means you'd need to type (or repeat) /unloadcrate and /sellcrate 10 more times. Not amazing ^^' 

That said, someone suggested increasing the amount of components per crates, it's not a bad idea overall 🙂 

But generally speaking, I'm not sure focusing on "forcing GREAT REALISTIC RP" is the way to fix trucking. I'm sorry to everyone who loves typing bland /me unloads their crates, but there's only so many ways to make such an RP interesting... However, as a few people noted, making the script job itself more interesting could help companies be more stable, and thus create some better and longer-term RP among truckers. Or, between truckers and businesses in fact 🙂 

I've often enjoyed the occasional chatter with a business owner while delivering crates. None of ;that RP was about loading out crates or filling delivery orders, and yet it was pretty cool (RP'ing that you're loading out 500 pounds of dildos is also something, I suppose ^^')

A simple way to make it less horrible may be to let go of the /unloadcrate for each crate loaded inside the truck. Most people driving the RL equivalent of a pounder would load out entire pallets, not boxes one by one for example (and it's how I've RP'd it so far). It's a remainder of a script that's from 2017, maybe it needs a bit of an adjustment (just like the old /fishing and /cf). 

21 hours ago, Late said:

It's very realistic that there is a driver shortage on the server as well as in real life. Best RP.

^ what this guy said

There is a driver shortage all over the world leaving it to businesses (trucking companies) to compete for drivers, and (industrial companies) to compete for trucking companies to move their loads. This competition is done with pricing/pay, and I believe this works very successfully on the server - from what I can tell, the people who pay good money get their product moved and delivered.

From an RP standpoint, while yes, trucking is very repetitive, that is also the case for trucking in the real world, and other in game professions such as taxi driving. It's not about the raw script/commands, but rather, what you make of them. There are plenty of taxi drivers in game who simply /me start meter /me say "bro where is money," but on the other side of the spectrum, there are people who develop full scale taxi companies and devote their character to them, roleplaying what realistically would be the life of a taxi driver. The same thing could be said for trucking, but I feel like there are much less people who roleplay their characters surrounding their trucking job and simply truck while complaining the script is too basic.

The script isn't a problem, roleplay is in the two commands: /me and /do. It is what you make of it, and I do agree that not enough people fully roleplay their trucking character life surrounding trucking, but I simply don't understand why.

4 hours ago, Sush said:

This is something new since the economy update, it used to put the business bank into negative money but I guess it doesn't do it now. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic