[Guide] /Breakin's and You

Viscaria

This guide will serve to help players understand the /breakin system as well as help give some guidance on how to make them more enjoyable.

The first thing to understand is how to properly portray a burglary, and what it actually means. 

"Burglary, also called breaking and entering and sometimes housebreaking, is illegally entering a building or other areas to commit a crime. Usually that offense is theft, robbery or murder, but most jurisdictions include others within the ambit of burglary."

While the /breakin system can certainly be used for burglary, it is not limited to theft. There are many other roleplay scenarios that you can do with the system or expand your roleplay from just a burglary. An example would be breaking into the house, having 1 or 2 guys search the property while another 1 tags up the property with your opposing gang tags, another guy meanwhile could completely flip the place upside down and trash the place heavily. We'll go into some more examples later.

What we tend to see with break in requests all too often are poorly planned attempts at breaking into properties with very basic planning, often times even using their own vehicle in an effort to escape authorities. While this isn't inherently a bad thing given that its intended due to character portrayal, it can be done much better for those characters who are roleplaying having done this times before. If your plan is to simply lockpick your way into the property, grab what you all can and then rush out in an attempt to escape, then its a poor plan. Use your heads to get more creative, if you're not alone, steal 2 cars and have them facing different directions to make it twice as hard to authorities to catch you if it comes to a pursuit, wear identical clothing to make it harder for them to pinpoint who is who, bring a spare set of clothes in the car so that if you do manage to lose them briefly you can change into them, dump the car and no longer match their description, catch someone who may have seen you? kidnap them and take them hostage with you during the breakin or find one after during a pursuit, that surely spices up the roleplay if it fits the character to do so.

I'm not gonna continue to hand people ideas as its much more fun for you all to come up with your own creative, unique ideas. However, something important to keep in mind regarding this, is to keep it somewhat realistic. You're not gonna set up a speedboat in the ocean and use it as a means for escape, drive to a helicopter and fly away, or set up an ambush to blow away the cops, this is petty burglary, going to such lengths would be deemed unrealistic.

A good question to ask yourself would be "Why am I and my character doing this /breakin?" if your answer is to get guns, drugs and money then your mentality towards wanting to do them is flawed, it should instead be something along the lines of "Because trashing my opps house and tagging it up is fun" or "Because this scenario should bring some fun roleplay for everyone involved" getting any items should simply be a bonus of wanting to do some fun, engaging roleplay.

Bad examples of a /breakin;

- Your plan is to break entry into the property and then zerg around the place searching for script items and then getting out as fast as possible.

- You have an expensive car such as a Dominator, make a good amount of cash from slinging drugs, have people slinging them under you and you recently killed someone. This is a lack of character portrayal.

- You just met some guys and haven't known them very long, but are wanting to do a burglary with them and see what loot you can find.

Good examples of a /breakin;

- You've scouted out a property for a couple of days to check how active it and the surrounding area tends to get, then formulated a plan accordingly, stolen a car that can't be traced back to you or are using an unregistered one or multiple, you have a backup plan for if things go south that doesn't involve shooting.

- Your character is a desperate drug addict looking to steal some goods in order to feed their addiction, possibly even stolen a car and during the pursuit, caught a civilian in the road and is now holding them with a knife to their throat shouting out demands to Police. A desperate drug addict is more likely to get caught than not, however that doesn't mean you can't provide some excellent roleplay.

- You find a house to target, you be smart about it by conversing with the owner, catch his name and get to know him a bit, what his job is, what vehicles he owns, if hes happily married, if hes ever been in trouble with Police, all over time without arousing suspicion of your intentions. Then, you plan out the burglary, smash a window in the back and bring a new pane of glass acting out as repairmen, bust one of the drainpipes acting fixing that too, bring a van and a bunch of tools, then have a couple guys break into the house robbing it, if the alarm goes off? act like normal workers while having 1 of you run off if there's time leaving your other guys as a distraction, make in-game notes of a housing repair invoice to readily show it to the cops, create in-game notes of fake ID's. With the info you gained from getting to know the owner, you make your case more believable to the cops by knowing his name and any other helpful information, if the owner shows up, you can roleplay confused, acting like there must have been a mistake back at HQ. I think you get the point by now, with more effort comes more fun and enjoyable experiences, even if it goes south, the experience was fun regardless and it builds character development for future attempts by learning from any mistakes.

The point here isn't that you need to get so in-depth with a burglary but simply to show how creative you can possibly get with the system. Sometimes stealing cars doesn't make sense depending on the property and characters involved. It's important to portray your character realistically when it comes to burglaries, a crackhead isn't gonna do much planning, someone who isn't desperate or a rival gang isn't gonna try their luck in a known dangerous hood. We often see people targeting Mirror Park under the assumption of "It's a nice area, must be some good loot" however they fail to understand that while Mirror Park properties are nice, that usually comes with a higher level of security, I can't speak for other admins here, but when I see this, I don't give people much time when robbing these places when its a simple break and entry type deal, but if more planning was involved and it makes good sense, then I surely would.

Why isn't an admin taking my /breakin request?

A number of reasons;

- There's too many reports coming in during peak hours.
- There's not enough LEO's online.
- You didn't type any info in the request.
- Admins are tired and don't have the energy or will to take one.

- Admins wanna spend some time actually roleplaying.

- We see the name pop up in the requests far too often. (Some of you we see pop up almost every single day without even leaving any info in the request)

- We're tired of gangs raiding other opp gangs properties in hopes they find guns or drugs. (This is the majority of requests we get daily)

- You keep bugging admins by directly PM'ing them asking them to take your request. (This happens a lot and it gets tiresome)

- The admins online / duty are also in PD/SD so can't take them due to bias. Or they either know you or are in your faction, also can't take due to bias.

- Admins may simply not have the time to invest into one at that particular moment.

What can I do to make my /breakin requests get accepted faster and more often?

Show us that you're offering something fun and unique, that you're not just simply looking to raid a property for guns and drugs, prove to us that you have what it takes to put a good amount of effort into your /breakin's which in turn will make a name for yourself and I can see admins looking forward to your requests or getting excited to see them when they pop up. Don't keep requesting them so often after recently doing one, your name will get recognized for doing this and we'll not take them. Be respectful and show a good amount of sportsmanship, getting angry at admins isn't a good way to get them to spend a good amount of their busy time helping you by supervising your /breakin's.

How to request a /breakin

Go up to the front door of the property you're looking to break into then type /breakin [message]. Your message should include information about the break in such as "We're looking to break entry into this place and trash it heavily, find anything worth taking laying around and then leave the gas stove on while fleeing." when an admin accepts the request, you can then go into further detail on what it is you plan to do and why, they will then ask you a series of questions related to the break in and why its happening, to which you should already have answers to that make sense. When an admin accepts your request that doesn't mean you can start roleplaying, after asking a few questions the admin will then likely provide you with some information before either approving or denying your request and will notify you when you can start. When you put in the request, you do not need to linger around on the doorstep, go sit in your car or drive around the area, pick up refreshments at a local store and continue roleplaying with one another until it gets accepted. If it doesn't end up getting accepted in time then its likely that admins were just too busy at the time and you can always try again another time, the important thing is to not get demotivated and once it does get accepted, show off that you can provide stellar roleplay.

Final Notes

We all know that some systems aren't ideal such as how property alarms currently work, hopefully we get changes to this in the future, but for now we have to work with what we have, people can still provide amazing roleplay with this system so long as you put in the effort to do so. I intentionally didn't just provide a big list of things you can roleplay with this system, its extremely vast and wide when you really put your minds to it and there's so many things you can roleplay. It's down to you guys now to come up with these and continue to provide that sick roleplay and to most importantly, have fun whilst doing so.

I will likely edit this guide after the fact or add more to it depending so it helps players further understand and get some guidance regarding the system. Feel free to post below your thoughts and maybe even some interesting ideas you guys have that you could be doing when making a /breakin request.

Edited by Viscaria
  • Upvote 12

Hm, this is my thoughts on this guide as someone has done a few breakins.. 

A lot of the plans sounds cool like pretending to be repair men and such, but I tried something like this during a breakin and was told to do a HEIST request due to the high level of planning and such.. 

The kidnapping and trashing sounds cool in theory, but most burglars ARE honestly just looking to get in and out, taking what they can get their hands on and get out, there isn't going to be a high level of planning such as stealing a car or scoping the area out for weeks.

Burglaries are very petty crimes, so taking someone as a hostage and BRINGING them to the property isn't something that should be promoted often, if someone's inside a property you rob, yeah sure hold them at gun point. 

The plan for most burglaries in real life are just to get in, go around searching and grabbing for about ten minutes, and then getting out. 

There's 2 type of burglary's, unorganized and organized, the unorganized you'll see done a lot from more desperate people and the inexperienced and on lower end places typically. The organized burglary's, people do this for a living, they're experienced in doing it and make a good amount of cash from them. You can even develop characters from the bottom and later become experienced. I understand your point, but being well organized during a crime isn't always a heist, I did mention that they need to keep within realistic parameters, which is why I mentioned people shouldn't be setting up boats and helicopters as an escape option and the likes.

On 12/23/2021 at 1:36 PM, DONALDTRUMPFROMFLATS said:

Burglaries are very petty crimes, so taking someone as a hostage and BRINGING them to the property isn't something that should be promoted often, if someone's inside a property you rob, yeah sure hold them at gun point. 

The plan for most burglaries in real life are just to get in, go around searching and grabbing for about ten minutes, and then getting out. 

It's a good informative guide overall, but I disagree with the examples about stealing cars. I just can't imagine criminals stealing two cars just so they can break into a house to steal a TV. The cars combined are probably worth more than anything they'll leave the house with. AFAIK, most burglaries are on the petty crime end, so we shouldn't encourage players to steal cars under the pretext of good role play. Covering their car plates (for potential cameras), being dropped off close by, or parking out of view are better alternatives for the average criminal.

I got a question. When i request /breakin request can i state in the message area the reason behind my character that made him break into houses or i just tell them that i need to get in to trash the area, and then when they accept my request i tell them the reason behind my character to break into houses?

Edited by Banditto
On 12/23/2021 at 6:36 PM, DONALDTRUMPFROMFLATS said:

Agreed, what I meant by this is more in the moment as mentioned, if they're in the immediate area and likely saw you all lingering, snagging them before they got the chance to call the cops. I'll update the guide accordingly.

On 12/25/2021 at 2:56 PM, Gecko said:

It's a good informative guide overall, but I disagree with the examples about stealing cars. I just can't imagine criminals stealing two cars just so they can break into a house to steal a TV. The cars combined are probably worth more than anything they'll leave the house with. AFAIK, most burglaries are on the petty crime end, so we shouldn't encourage players to steal cars under the pretext of good role play. Covering their car plates (for potential cameras), being dropped off close by, or parking out of view are better alternatives for the average criminal.

Also agreed, it depends on knowledge of the property and how much is believed to be in there, if its believe that there's a good amount of guns and drugs in there, then this might be an option. I'll update it to give more clarity on this.

7 hours ago, Banditto said:

I got a question. When i request /breakin request can i state in the message area the reason behind my character that made him break into houses or i just tell them that i need to get in to trash the area, and then when they accept my request i tell them the reason behind my character to break into houses?

In the message you should give a brief reason as to why you're wanting to break into the property, when it then gets accepted you can go into more detail with the handling admin and they'll ask questions.

I know some of you think that what I wrote can be considered heist level, but that's not my intention with it, my intention is to help players understand that the server is of course a sandbox of your own imagination and that there's a wide variety of things that you can do when it comes to these burglaries. I'll be updating and fixing the guide here and there to better get that point across.