The state of break-ins.

ZaE

10 minutes ago, moulton said:

I'd like to see breakins become an IFM request and perhaps a little more.. systematic? Like.. an admin being on between certain times for that explicit purpose but, I know that's not realistic.

IFM request already take 3 months, noo

Bit of a personal experience rant from my initial plan to commit my first robbery on the server, as this is more to do with stick up robberies at open businesses via /report. I do however feel that there was some relation to the issues with the /breakin system, in particular the long waiting times. It's probably worse with stick up robberies, since the cashiers tend to end their shift or log off. I'd like a bit more clarity in the rules on the difference between using /breakin to /report for robberies on open businesses in general.

I asked a staff member via /report for permission to rob an open liquor store, after waiting a while I got told to do a /breakin report via report trashed message instead. I didn't want to commit a burglary, because that would mean I would have to stand at the door of an active business with a baseball bat while wearing a bear mask. I cancelled the report and scouted out a 24/7 to rob instead. I sent another report and it got trashed yet again after the staff member said to use /breakin, because he told me to before. In the time between the reports the players manning both cash registers might've logged off/ended their shifts, which means the admin might've mistaken my request for a burglary via /breakin instead of a stick up via /report. The staff member seemed to me like he was getting a bit frustrated with my requests upon trashing the second /report, so I just lost all motivation and decided to stop my plans to rob anything at all. Hell I even got more confused when another staff member on discord told me it was more than ok to use /report for robberies on open businesses to do stick-up robberies(eg: Liquor stores with cashiers).

I don't really care about robbing items, I just wanted to roleplay a small-time incompetent eccentric unintelligent Russian crook trying his hand at small-time robberies(hell maybe even get caught during one of those and sent to prison). It does feel like there's a weird ooc meta barrier to small-time criminal rp which is understandable, but as a relatively new player this whole meta is completely confusing, and is a big turn off for anyone wanting to participate in minor criminal rp who hasn't spent years on the server already doing it.

TLDR:

We need:

1. More clarity on the specific situations relevant for /report and /breakin respectively.

2. A player guide on how to complete and begin burglaries and/or stickups properly.

3. More interaction and communication with admins upon the denial of a request, just for clarity on the context of the denial rather than just one brief message.

Edited by El Bandito

Would introducing a script message system to tell you how long you're on the Admin's breakin request list help? Knowing how many admins are on-duty and where you number on the breakin list may help give some understanding how long your request may take. Gives some purpose to planning ahead and if you're so low on that list you could try again the next day. It's better than holding onto your dick for 4 hours waiting for a mfer to reply.

The alarm system is definitely in need of a proper rework given its current state being a very one-sided experience. There is an open discussion and suggestion thread linked below. However, same suggestion is very one-sided for the opposite end of the spectrum. However, good points were made along the way as well as ideas and inspiration as to what could the system be reworked into and additions that enhance or improve the experience. Some ideas brought forward were false alarms, rob-able furniture/produce (e.g. TVs and other electronic devices) or the role security companies can play in the entire process.

@Keane summed it up pretty well in the suggestion (page 6 if you want to read up on it) with ideas that could be introduced into burglaries and the alarm script as well as the different factors to keep in mind, creating a balanced system rather than a very much one-sided system as it currently is, as well as the originally proposed rework.

Breakin requests should be done on a private forum (like the ban appeals one), where all the permissions, questions and checks would be carried out without having people wait in-game or in front of the property. If you want to rob a property, post a topic and explain which property, how you want to break in, why, with who etc. The admins could then handle them in their own time.

Once approved, maybe allow support members to oversee the actual breakin, check the stashinfo and provide the items if they're found.

Edited by Mahitto
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Mahitto said:

Breakin requests should be done on a private forum (like the ban appeals one), where all the permissions, questions and checks would be carried out without having people wait in-game or in front of the property. If you want to rob a property, post a topic and explain which property, how you want to break in, why, with who etc. The admins could then handle them in their own time.

Once approved, maybe allow support members to oversee the actual breakin, check the stashinfo and provide the items if they're found.

this would take ages like every other request tho, longer then the IG wait already

18 minutes ago, ZaE said:

this would take ages like every other request tho, longer then the IG wait already

Yeah, but a one-week wait on the forums is much better than waiting for five hours straight in-game. In the former scenario, you can also do other stuff meanwhile and whenever the request is accepted, you can carry it out.

I'd much rather wait a month then be able to execute a breakin relatively smoothly than to put aside a full IRL day to literally AFK (but be online) in front of a virtual door, hoping that someone has the time for me.

2 hours ago, Mahitto said:

This would definitely help with a lot of issues. But you'd also complicate time sensitive breakins or 'on the spot' actions.

8 hours ago, El Bandito said:

Bit of a personal experience rant from my initial plan to commit my first robbery on the server, as this is more to do with stick up robberies at open businesses via /report. I do however feel that there was some relation to the issues with the /breakin system, in particular the long waiting times. It's probably worse with stick up robberies, since the cashiers tend to end their shift or log off. I'd like a bit more clarity in the rules on the difference between using /breakin to /report for robberies on open businesses in general.

I asked a staff member via /report for permission to rob an open liquor store, after waiting a while I got told to do a /breakin report via report trashed message instead. I didn't want to commit a burglary, because that would mean I would have to stand at the door of an active business with a baseball bat while wearing a bear mask. I cancelled the report and scouted out a 24/7 to rob instead. I sent another report and it got trashed yet again after the staff member said to use /breakin, because he told me to before. In the time between the reports the players manning both cash registers might've logged off/ended their shifts, which means the admin might've mistaken my request for a burglary via /breakin instead of a stick up via /report. The staff member seemed to me like he was getting a bit frustrated with my requests upon trashing the second /report, so I just lost all motivation and decided to stop my plans to rob anything at all. Hell I even got more confused when another staff member on discord told me it was more than ok to use /report for robberies on open businesses to do stick-up robberies(eg: Liquor stores with cashiers).

I don't really care about robbing items, I just wanted to roleplay a small-time incompetent eccentric unintelligent Russian crook trying his hand at small-time robberies(hell maybe even get caught during one of those and sent to prison). It does feel like there's a weird ooc meta barrier to small-time criminal rp which is understandable, but as a relatively new player this whole meta is completely confusing, and is a big turn off for anyone wanting to participate in minor criminal rp who hasn't spent years on the server already doing it.

TLDR:

We need:

1. More clarity on the specific situations relevant for /report and /breakin respectively.

2. A player guide on how to complete and begin burglaries and/or stickups properly.

3. More interaction and communication with admins upon the denial of a request, just for clarity on the context of the denial rather than just one brief message.

You probably confused them by using report.  If it's a PERSON you want to rob (the cashier), don't you just use /rob and then do it?  /breakin is for closed properties.

1 hour ago, mj2002 said:

This would definitely help with a lot of issues. But you'd also complicate time sensitive breakins or 'on the spot' actions.

I suppose, but with people complaining about having to wait for literal hours, I assume there aren't that many time-sensitive or on-the-stop breakins as it stands either. Regardless, the current system could still be used in case someone wants to, but a new one could be added for those who wish to go through a smoother process, even if it takes a bit more time.

• Wuhtah locked this topic