The culture of reporting on this server

Goonbag

4 hours ago, Viscaria said:

You wanna know the answer? too many people don't understand the server rules and we constantly have to remind them, or punish them. If more people took the time to read and understand the rules, there wouldn't be people reporting things like "Someone just robbed me and took my phone!". If someone doesn't appear to be a native English speaker but they were understandable? is that something you really want to report? personally I'd wish the guy well in his effort to learn English more fluently, I know quite a lot of people have learned English from roleplaying, though of course if their English is terrible then they should do some studying before playing here.

You can ask questions too, that's what /helpme is for, if you're unsure of something then going straight to a /report while being frustrated isn't the way to go. Being frustrated is actually never the way to go, and we see it in a large majority of roleplay reports, take a breather, relax, and ask for assistance, be polite to your fellow community members even if you don't agree with what they did.

On the flip side plenty of people understand the rules perfectly and can still be toxic/etc but just in ways they know they can get away with while skirting the rules which somehow absolves them from any punishment.

• Applaud 1
3 hours ago, Sush said:

On the flip side plenty of people understand the rules perfectly and can still be toxic/etc but just in ways they know they can get away with while skirting the rules which somehow absolves them from any punishment.

Maybe a less litteral application of the rules and a more "spirit of the law" approach might help, yeah. There's been cases where someone has broken the litteral word of the law but it was clearly a mistake, yet they got punished. Others when the person actively wanted to break the rules, and found a minor loophole, got off scott-free. 😕

The "chaining /rob with several people to avoid the cooldown" is a classic example :x 

@Goonbag In my reply, I'd mainly like to address the author with my response. The topic presented is quite controversial, and it goes far beyond the issue of "being chill" and that "it's a game" or similar mindsets. In a sense, this is indeed a game; a game has rules and those rules need to be followed in order to maintain a healthy environment. Imposing rules, whether in the real world or digitally, will always polarize a community into those who break, and those who denounce the breakers. Is it right for us to antagonize those who report the rule breakers? Not at all, for they are the ones who help enforce our rigorous standards as a community. If those slip, where lies the foundation of this community?

• Upvote 1

I believe everyone should just take a look at the bigger picture and understand that it's just a game. Many reports (in-game or forum) are just so petty - it's ridiculous. Considering the fact, that you have to pass a difficult test before entering the server, the rules just need to be eased in general, and admins should encourage players to sort stuff out between themselves. Unless it comes to big losses in RP, script items, or comes to OOC insult matches, admins shouldn't be so actively involved in player conflicts. I also think, that reporting should come with consequences too. Let's say, if the report is petty, invalid, or the player forum/game reports constantly for everything and anything, they should also expect serious consequences for promoting toxic player relation culture on the server.

This whole admin mindset and rule-easing will need lots of effort and time to take place, but it would probably make this whole community a more chill one. We're here to play and have fun after all, not to compete in forum report essay lengths.

35 minutes ago, Steel said:

I believe everyone should just take a look at the bigger picture and understand that it's just a game. Many reports (in-game or forum) are just so petty - it's ridiculous. Considering the fact, that you have to pass a difficult test before entering the server, the rules just need to be eased in general, and admins should encourage players to sort stuff out between themselves. Unless it comes to big losses in RP, script items, or comes to OOC insult matches, admins shouldn't be so actively involved in player conflicts. I also think, that reporting should come with consequences too. Let's say, if the report is petty, invalid, or the player forum/game reports constantly for everything and anything, they should also expect serious consequences for promoting toxic player relation culture on the server.

This whole admin mindset and rule-easing will need lots of effort and time to take place, but it would probably make this whole community a more chill one. We're here to play and have fun after all, not to compete in forum report essay lengths.

Honestly the rules aren't that bad. They are quite straight forward and if people were to take 5 minutes to read through them, we'd all be better off. I do also agree that people can be petty and in such instances those people should be warned about filing petty reports. In regards to your other topic, it's also understandable that we're all here to play a game. However, we're here because we want to play on what has been deemed a "heavy role play" server, which tends to take things a little more serious than your average server. I expect a certain amount of rigidness to attempt to uphold a standard so we don't devolve into a GTA Online clone.

2 minutes ago, 99 said:

Honestly the rules aren't that bad. They are quite straight forward and if people were to take 5 minutes to read through them, we'd all be better off. I do also agree that people can be petty and in such instances those people should be warned about filing petty reports. In regards to your other topic, it's also understandable that we're all here to play a game. However, we're here because we want to play on what has been deemed a "heavy role play" server, which tends to take things a little more serious than your average server. I expect a certain amount of rigidness to attempt to uphold a standard so we don't devolve into a GTA Online clone.

Oh, yeah, you're right about the rules. I meant, that enforcing of the rules should be lighter and more chill. And I think just warning people for filing petty and nonsensical reports isn't enough - it wastes people's time and takes the fun out of the game. I think if there was a big risk to filing a report against a person, people would try their best to resolve things between themselves.

Yes, certain standards are needed for a heavy RP server, but the process of becoming a player here is already hard, so, maybe the rule enforcement could be more light-hearted, and more focused on the RP being more realistic in general, rather than enforcing rules just for the sake of rules.

5 minutes ago, Steel said:

Oh, yeah, you're right about the rules. I meant, that enforcing of the rules should be lighter and more chill. And I think just warning people for filing petty and nonsensical reports isn't enough - it wastes people's time and takes the fun out of the game. I think if there was a big risk to filing a report against a person, people would try their best to resolve things between themselves.

Yes, certain standards are needed for a heavy RP server, but the process of becoming a player here is already hard, so, maybe the rule enforcement could be more light-hearted, and more focused on the RP being more realistic in general, rather than enforcing rules just for the sake of rules.

Getting in with the app =/= Also sticking to those same standards you wrote about in the application. Anyone could pull up the rules and answer some questions, as evidenced by some of the people who have been let in here. Passing the test doesn't mean they plan to follow those rules once they start playing. Hell, many people don't even thoroughly read the rules before going in to play. Enforcement of rules should be just that, enforced. Let's logically take the same opinion you have about filing petty reports and apply it to enforcing rules. If you think there should be a big risk to filing a petty player report, why should there not be a big risk in breaking the rules in general?

Rule enforcement is already light-hearted here, in my opinion. People who have broken rules multiple times or blatantly break rules get off with warnings and 60 minute ajails instead of bans, all the time. In fact, I think if the rules were enforced to a more strict standard by the Admins, we'd have less player reports in general.

Now if you're talking about minor things like minor spelling mistakes, grammar issues, etc? Yeah that doesn't need to be so crazy and definitely shouldn't fall under a player report. That just clogs up the system. Powergaming, deathmatching, metagaming, etc.? I think the punishments should be more strict, not less strict. I respect your opinion though, everyone has one. To each, their own  😁

• Thanks 1

Not gonna read through 13 pages of posts on this topic, so bare with me if someone has pointed this out already here.
But, as someone that has been on the other side this by having to deal with reports ingame and on the forums, I have to say this. 

The amount of petty shit people are reporting each other for is absolutely ridiculous at times. Should some things be reported? Absolutely.

But at the same time, there are so many things that can be avoided by simply talking to each other like adults or even walking away from the computer for a moment after a intense situation, instead of jumping straight to the forums to aggressively type out a spiteful report just for the sake of getting the other side in trouble (and/or simply to waste their time having to address it. I've seen that as well, lol.)

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Thirteen said:

Not gonna read through 13 pages

Your name is literally thirteen. You've got a reputation to live up to bro.

As for the topic, I haven't reported anyone yet, despite fairly severe offenses witnessed. Partially because I lack the means to collect evidence, but mostly because I prefer to give people time to improve. But I will not discourage others from reporting if they genuinely feel a transgression has been made against them.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Gore locked this topic