Reworking the Alarm System and Burglaries

Bospy

49 minutes ago, - Alfie - said:

Reform police response so that an army doesn't have to show up every time some small-time house robber wants to steal a few things

Why? This is an incredibly dangerous city full of armed citizens and criminals. It would be ridiculous to only send one unit if there's nothing else going on.

When cops get two tapped in the head for an insurance traffic stop there's no such thing as being too careful.

I have responded to several house alarms where the thugs inside had guns and even took a hostage. Thanks but no thanks to any OOC fueled reforms.

Edited by pateuvasiliu

What a ridiculously one sided and biased suggestion, some people will really go through great lengths to create more opportunity for criminals to grind some more for those lovely PF guns people have hidden in their houses. The whole suggestion never once takes into account that when people are not IG their character doesn't just vanish. Their characters would be in their house, they would be there; responding to the obvious sound of an alarm, or the obvious sound of someone entering their home?

Pseudo roleplay. 

Edited by Martyn
  • Upvote 8
10 minutes ago, Martyn said:

What a ridiculously one sided and biased suggestion, some people will really go through great lengths to create more opportunity for criminals to grind some more for those lovely PF guns people have hidden in their houses. The whole suggestion never once takes into account that when people are not IG their character doesn't just vanish. Their characters would be in their house, they would be there; responding to the obvious sound of an alarm, or the obvious sound of someone entering their home?

Pseudo roleplay. 

I fully support this, the whole suggestion ignores this fact. Characters are not always staying there, since they could sleep over at a friends house but over all most of the time they are at home during the night (or when you're offline).

25 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Pseudo roleplay. 

100% hit the nail on the head. Glad someone gets it.

32 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Pseudo roleplay. 

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. This keeps getting treated like Rust where people 'raid my base' only while I'm offline, etc. 

3 hours ago, - Alfie - said:

Reform police response so that an army doesn't have to show up every time some small-time house robber wants to steal a few things.

I keep seeing this being brought up but it's not a feasible thing to do, and it shouldn't happen either.

The OOC reasons why so many people respond to house alarms are because they're simultaneously streamed to every single on-duty LEO character and because people want some unique role-play. It's that simple. LEO role-play can get pretty boring and redundant, and house alarms (among other types of interactions) create an edge, something more unique for people to engage in.

On an IC level, it's perfectly realistic to have an army respond to such robberies. Hell, there should be an actual army instead of PD/SD SWAT and SEB, considering everything. Right now, there's a 100% chance for an alarm to be the real deal, as there are no false positives. If an alarm goes off, there's a 100% chance there are people breaking into the place. More often than not, those people are armed, some to the teeth with assault rifles and such, and immediately return fire on the first responders. What would such rule even look like from an IC perspective? "Hey, I know that if you respond to this on you have a 100% chance of being rained on by a heavy machine gun. No, we're not giving you a tank, you'll actually have to do it on your own"? No...

Good points are being brought up. Residential property robberies should never be allowed if the character that owns the property it concerns is offline, as it is more than likely they would be home. Considering the violent nature of LS I also agree it would be silly to send a single LEO to a burglary alarm. I was wrong with my agreement in that before.

7 hours ago, Martyn said:

Pseudo roleplay. 

agreed lmao.

8 hours ago, Martyn said:

Pseudo roleplay. 

It's unsurprising considering FM officially ruled that the IC population is to be RP'd as whoever is physically online. If no one is around, we are told to RP that no one is around. So in fact, the current meta is that when we log off, no one exists. Apparently if it were done any other way, it would be detrimental to criminal RP (FM's words, not mine). So it's not a surprise this is not considered under the current suggestion. In no way do I agree with this stance, but it is what it is.

• Wuhtah locked this topic