Reworking the Alarm System and Burglaries

Bospy

Alarm systems and how burglaries are handled on a whole definitely does need a rework, but some of this stuff is far less about supporting roleplay and much more about supporting whether or not you have the script cash to buy an insane alarm to counteract the burglary or to buy the tools to hardly ever fuck up.

Burglaries are a big deal, especially in today's day and age where alarms are just going to become more and more effective. I do believe that there shouldn't be a 100% guarantee of an alarm going off, just so that RP can happen. However, making it so that there's a constant big chance is just going to make admins less and less likely to respond to a break-in request because if people know that an alarm hasn't gone off, they're going to take their sweet time searching every nook and cranny because they feel as if they won't be caught in what they're doing.

I'm not saying every idea is bad, nor am I saying I think alarms and burglaries are good in their current state - I'm just not sure how some of this is conductive to RP, why we'd need a new 'role' as you mentioned, or why it'd have to be so RPG-ish.

Completely agree that a functional alarm should cost 3 times as much as a house itself does because that way it'll be more like real life. Just like how in real life your house in an upscale neighborhood gets burglarized or has a robbery occur outside it at least a few times a month. It's for make the server more realistic +support

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
5 minutes ago, lucky_ said:

However, making it so that there's a constant big chance is just going to make admins less and less likely to respond to a break-in request because if people know that an alarm hasn't gone off, they're going to take their sweet time searching every nook and cranny because they feel as if they won't be caught in what they're doing.

Haven't included here new script commands on the admin side, there's an internal suggestion thread to ensure people sticking around would be penalized. These would also become a priority by IFM to respond to now.

3 minutes ago, Kaleb said:

Completely agree that a functional alarm should cost 3 times as much as a house itself does because that way it'll be more like real life. Just like how in real life your house in an upscale neighborhood gets burglarized or has a robbery occur outside it at least a few times a month. It's for make the server more realistic +support

The prices aren't for the alarms, they also reflect the hard security measures taken to secure the house such as camera coverage/windows/double-bolting locks/etc.

Level 6 Alarm ($1,250,000) - 95% reliability, if tripped police are informed within 1 minute via silent alarm, burglars are given 3 minutes until loud alarm goes off.

Level 7 Alarm ($2,000,000) - 100% reliability, when tripped police are informed immediately with a silent alarm, burglars are given 5 minutes until loud alarm goes off.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    So I'm confused but since when has an alarm system cost on more than an airplane? Alot of these numbers don't really make much sense to me and maybe that's just my take but these are way too far in the direction of RPG elements. You're giving the benefit to people with more assets and time on the server. I think a good medium would be to introduce a sort of alarm system but go further by making them apply to only particular properties, otherwise you're going to have everyone with a stash-house south of the tracks throwing on the highest alarm so they don't lose their guns and assets. I also don't think the Burglar role should exist at all, push the tools into the economy and find a way to distribute them like guns, drugs, and other various illegal items. But don't have a standalone role just to promote break-ins. 

In current suggestion we're just getting closer to GTA:O, may as-well make the highest burglar rank cat woman so you can run in and dodge all the lasers from your 2 million dollar system. 

1 minute ago, Bospy said:

The prices aren't for the alarms, they also reflect the hard security measures taken to secure the house such as camera coverage/windows/double-bolting locks/etc.

Which certainly would cost 3 times the amount of the property itself?

3 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Level 6 Alarm ($1,250,000) - 95% reliability, if tripped police are informed within 1 minute via silent alarm, burglars are given 3 minutes until loud alarm goes off.

Level 7 Alarm ($2,000,000) - 100% reliability, when tripped police are informed immediately with a silent alarm, burglars are given 5 minutes until loud alarm goes off.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    So I'm confused but since when has an alarm system cost on more than an airplane? Alot of these numbers don't really make much sense to me and maybe that's just my take but these are way too far in the direction of RPG elements. You're giving the benefit to people with more assets and time on the server. I think a good medium would be to introduce a sort of alarm system but go further by making them apply to only particular properties, otherwise you're going to have everyone with a stash-house south of the tracks throwing on the highest alarm so they don't lose their guns and assets. I also don't think the Burglar role should exist at all, push the tools into the economy and find a way to distribute them like guns, drugs, and other various illegal items. But don't have a standalone role just to promote break-ins. 

In current suggestion we're just getting closer to GTA:O, may as-well make the highest burglar rank cat woman so you can run in and dodge all the lasers from your 2 million dollar system. 

The cost on these is so prohibitive to reflect that these would only really be used in the headquarters of expensive companies. If a gangbanger seriously invests cash into an alarm of that level, it's not really great character portrayal. Think of how much money a security company would spend securing a company's expensive building. I agree with making them only apply to certain properties. I've ditched the "role" idea as well.

Edited by Bospy
2 minutes ago, Kaleb said:

Which certainly would cost 3 times the amount of the property itself?

Only if you choose to buy it - but the numbers can be adjusted, the basic idea is just demonstrating how the system would work

Edited by Bospy
  • Wuhtah locked this topic