Discussion: Illegal Faction Revamp

khadijeh.

Do you want to see the faction tier system on the server instead of the current faction system?  

581 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When "mallrat pf holders" lose their guns, they have to file paperwork online to lay bare why they lost the gun. Every time they buy one of their 2 allotted guns a month, the transaction is recorded and the generated serial is attached to their name. The only way they can sell this gun legally is with oversight from the Firearm Licensing PD branch. And the law gets awful suspicious of its licensed gun carriers when they are purchasing 2 guns a month every single month and all the ammo they can. All the more if they have a lot of these guns go missing.

10 guns a month isn't a lot. But it is a steady drip that doesn't stop. A Tier 3 faction that's been around for a year will have obtained 120 guns from the script. That's only the guns they're guaranteed to get from the server, they are still welcome to purchase firearms from other factions (or source them by robbing them off of mallrat pf holders) if their needs are that high. Sure, your first 10-15 guys will need some gear, but they're not all going to need them tomorrow--they've already got it some time during their development to even be important enough to this faction which is powerful enough to have a consistent wholesale firearms and narcotics connections. The growth of every faction is where you build the firearms to meet your needs--otherwise how does an organized, violent criminal enterprise gain traction in a city like Los Santos?

The best way to make an EZ income of 10 guns a month last you longer? Stop dying. 

On 12/15/2021 at 9:58 PM, Nervous said:

Without months requirement, everyone will call IFM biased on their decision to promote or not a faction just as it happens today.

This is very true, and it's quite sad. The whole process of evaluating a faction's suitability for progression is subjective as is, and the only way for it to become more transparent or clear is to use some sort of tangible measure - how long the faction has existed, for example. Of course, that shouldn't (and I'm sure it wouldn't) mean that a faction with horrendous role-play and development will achieve the highest tier just because they managed to slither through and survive for long enough. A faction having been around for that long is a pretty good indicator that they're doing something right, at the very least.

There aren't many objective ways to evaluate a faction's suitability.

Despite the fact this system does in fact favor longevity and an MMORPG style of playing rather than quality of roleplay and organic progression, I'm going to focus on other aspects of why it's not a good idea. This system is supposed to minimize bias and reduce workload but factions applying to rank up a tier must be 'approved' by IFM based on the 'quality of their roleplay'. This means that the quality of a faction's roleplay will be determined based on IFM's discretion. Who's to say IFM is all-knowing and an ample judge of quality related to that specific faction? I actually find that sometimes IFM admins tend to be pretty detached overall and lack a connection to IC dynamics that determine the atmosphere of the illegal faction community. In addition, administrators lack knowledge in many different faction concepts which, to put it bluntly, renders them unqualified to issue judgement on whether or not said faction(s) is actively producing quality roleplay and is on-par with portrayal, ultimately making them ill-equipped to decide whether or not said faction(s) are eligible to move up a tier or not. I understand that not every administrator is capable of being well-versed in every possible faction concept but my point is simple: a mixture of incompetence and bias from IFM will deem this tier system impractical.

Nervous also mentioned that this system will give more factions an opportunity at gaining access to supplier-esque perks because "out of 50 applicants on supplier apps only about 2-3 are accepted." Who cares? If a faction isn't a supplier and they are indeed a good faction they will easily create connections with factions that do have access to supplier weapons/drugs. Why not just A) choose better supplier factions and B) increase shipment size. Administrators also have access to being able to detect exactly how many of each weapon currently exists within the active game script. IFM should utilize this and moderate accordingly the influx of weapons into the server by increasing/decreasing supplier shipments. Yes, point A does require IFM discretion and may result in bias but it's the least provocative and least cataclysmic approach as opposed to introducing a tier system. You either improve the current system by choosing better supplier factions and increasing/decreasing their shipment size accordingly or you go ahead with the tier system where you must now sort through every single existing faction applying to go up a tier, you must check their screens, decipher through hundreds of lines of their logs, make sure they aren't rulebreaking, consistently check quality, stay up-to-date with said faction and its members, then approve/deny said faction, and while doing all of this you also have to remember to deal with the actual supplier factions, check shipment count, approve shipment, spawn/deliver shipment, make sure rules aren't being broken by suppliers by checking logs, and much more. The latter is not sustainable whatsoever. Even in it's current state, IFM has enough on its plate and this would only make things worse.

• Upvote 1

this whole "who's to say what ifm deems as quality" argument is so stupid. what do you think has been happening now? who do you think picks which factions get official or even which factions stay up? do you think it's a democracy and everybody votes? ifm has been taking care of this shit since it's inception. whether or not the people themselves in ifm should be revamped is a different matter all together and has nothing to do with this proposed revamp. stop typing 4 page paragraphs when you're saying the exact same shit people have been saying since page 1.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Eastside.Shady said:

this whole "who's to say what ifm deems as quality" argument is so stupid. what do you think has been happening now? who do you think picks which factions get official or even which factions stay up? do you think it's a democracy and everybody votes? ifm has been taking care of this shit since it's inception. whether or not the people themselves in ifm should be revamped is a different matter all together and has nothing to do with this proposed revamp. stop typing 4 page paragraphs when you're saying the exact same shit people have been saying since page 1.

this nigga spittin

10 guns a month is still stupidly low. A faction can barely supply their own, why even bring up supplying other factions. That whole argument "stop dying" is reallly stupid. People promoting this kind of scarcity are either friends oocly directly with suppliers ot they are friends oocly direcectly with suppliers.

another quick edit: people tend to MG/PG grief more if the situation can get them to lose their hardly came assets. There are already groups on this server riding around and spree robbing, dming to loot bodies. Scarcity will only increase this. 

people saying "go rob people for guns" are out of touch with anything close to quality roleplay. Guns are used to rob, not the sole purpose of robbing. Saying this is forcing well developed characters to step out of their IC and adapt to the current disgusting biased scarcity.

Edited by Philly Turbo
4 hours ago, Philly Turbo said:

I want to add something to the general discussion here. I see people saying getting 10 guns a MONTH is a lot and you could be roleplaying getting connections and guns from other factions? What other faction? The faction I play with, we are 10-15 active guys? If I get 10 guns a month, it'll take me 1,5 months to supply my own... where is the possibility to supply others? Those numbers are a joke. I saw people mentioning ls-rp and yea, it wasnt that good but we can meet somewhere in the middle. Ls rp had 6-8 illegal factions as official, with warehouse access ranging from 200 to 600 (being the max) which they max out in 4-6 months of keeeping said fac active. Do the math, its 3600 to 4800 of guns spawned monthly. I don't say that they were spawning that many, but it was still a lot more than 10? Scarcity doesnt resolve much, Tier3 facs should get atleast 15 guns weekly, not months, otherwise is a joke, mallrat pf holders could lose and rebuy 15 guns like its nothing.

This proposed system clearly is not meant to aid you to supply other factions, that would be a supplier role which in theory you’d still be eligible to apply for as they’re not being removed. It’s not to give you a guaranteed mass supply of guns, that’s to be set up in-character. 

Bar that, a lot of good feedback here. I’ll wrap everything up in a summary post soon of what is going to be rereviewed.

We have opened up gun supplier in the mean time as well as increased all supplier amounts by a large margin.

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2021 at 11:46 PM, Cocaine Capital said:

I’d like to add to what I said below. Providing turf is a bad idea. Turf should be strictly IC, speaking from previous community experience, as soon as you make turf OOC interactions between factions become stupid. Turf shouldn’t be an OOC perk you get which will eventually get used like a shield. Turf should be only an IC perk that can be gained and lost at all times. 

I’ll have to disagree with you. Creating a turf map would allow a good faction to exist without shitty 2-5 men factions popping up there daily and claim they’ve been around for years ICly. Same with certain neighbourhoods, like Russian/Armenian/etc neighbourhoods - places where you rarely see other nations. 

I’d rather see 10 good and large gangs controlling South Ls than 20 gangs w 5 members in each fighting and shooting each other daily. Some people just want to run something on their own and won’t agree on being a regular member. And that’s when you need a turf map.

That’s just my opinion, though.

17 minutes ago, Dreams & Nightmares said:

I’ll have to disagree with you. Creating a turf map would allow a good faction to exist without shitty 2-5 men factions popping up there daily and claim they’ve been around for years ICly. Same with certain neighbourhoods, like Russian/Armenian/etc neighbourhoods - places where you rarely see other nations. 

I’d rather see 10 good and large gangs controlling South Ls than 20 gangs w 5 members in each fighting and shooting each other daily. Some people just want to run something on their own and won’t agree on being a regular member. And that’s when you need a turf map.

That’s just my opinion, though.

Worth a try isn’t it?