Discussion: Illegal Faction Revamp

khadijeh.

Do you want to see the faction tier system on the server instead of the current faction system?  

581 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Miss the good old days where whatever happened in-character and the fun you had with your friends was all the reward you needed. Now we're already turning to MMORPG style reward systems to give players their much needed shot of dopamine to keep them motivated. People are going to be motivated for all the wrong reasons, decisions will be made upon OOC influences and not IC influences. "Yeah lets not mess with Faction X for now, we don't want to risk getting a strike or whatever. We'll get them in 2months when we get 10guns a month along with that fancy schmancy assault rifle."

Appreciate the effort but this is rather lackluster and disappointing.

Edited by Martyn
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, voucher said:

I think that it’s overall a good idea, but the month requirements should be removed. The quality of the faction and its roleplay should determine moving up exclusively, how long the faction has been around is irrelevant. 

It is actually relevant and very important. It gives everyone a fair base and a more transparent process for "upgrading" a faction. Without months requirement, everyone will call IFM biased on their decision to promote or not a faction just as it happens today. IFM also doesn't have the manpower to daily check every single factions by themselves, and we'll back to a request based system for the faction to progress. 3 months is a very short time between each steps which gives time to properly evaluate the roleplay of a faction, see its interaction with other faction & players, and the goal is also to bring all faction leaders around the table more often to discuss factions.

If there is a real reason to bypass these time requirements in the future and it's done in agreement with all faction leaders then i'm sure it'll be doable.

• Upvote 1

All ima say is, it’s America bro, and LS is based off of Los Angela’s so knifes and shit for a supplier of an illegal faction on the street should not even be a thing, this is not the U.K or some other country where people depend on knifes, another thing, there is faction favoritism everyone on world know what factions have been favorited and what factions suffered because another faction was favorited, also the unofficial and official thing honestly, is kinda dumb in my eyes it’s smart but dumb I think if one makes a turf another faction shouldn’t be allowed to be made on ones turf because that’s just gonna bring a war instantly and there is a lot of things that the server needs to do not just for Mafia RPers, and illegal RPers away from Davis because most of the time those are the RPers who get the most love when it comes to Reports, and even from the admin team itself, like there is a lot of things in Davis Gang RPers can use if people come down there and work at stores, the mall, and many other things it would bring more Roleplay. 

I'm not only 100% in agreement with the criticisms explored by @UTOPIA, I'm of the opinion that the entire system is fundamentally broken.

@Pádraig asks, conveniently,  "is using longevity the best measure of quality?" As we've seen time and time again, no, it is most definitely, objectively not. Some factions burn white hot for a few weeks—months, with any luck—reach their peak, then inevitably disintegrate in to the archives because someone left, someone got banned, innumerable, petty reasons. Others linger and groan like zombies for what feel like years, kept alive by ghoulish titles and applause the horse won long before it was beaten to death. 

There is very little that can be considered organic about the process by which factions live and breathe and die—we need to be focusing less on creating new factions so much as sustaining and enabling good factions. I would rather see two consistent stories intertwine over time than a dozen novel but insignificant snippets that disappear within a week. Once a faction exists long enough, it should become legacy, a part of the shared server lore, something to be built off of and spun in to something new because of actions and consequences that take place through roleplay, not forum bureaucracy and reports. There need to be less Wikipedia Syndicates and more Original Characters Do Not Steal. There needs to be an actual sense of progression and growth for these factions, an acknowledgement that what they are doing has an affect on the conscience of the server, not the economy. If a faction falls on its face, instead of creating it again and again BECAUSE it was already proposed, let's reintroduce it because it should be, not because it can.

No system of rewards or tiers or goodies will ever be a suitable replacement for putting competent, experienced people in charge of admitting and denying these organizations privileges as is appropriate. The biggest issue GTAW has and always has had is that we insist on automating processes that were never automatic and didn't work in the first place.

I'm not saying—nor is it prudent or realistic—to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. The hegemony that has existed the past two-plus years is already crumbling anyway, and we are at an important juncture: as power vacuums begin to form, I ask, do we reward the players and groups that take advantage of that on the ground, logged in, exploiting that dynamic as it exists, to their benefit and that of their friends, or reward people who consistently request properties, take advantage of reports, loopholes and LOAs, and make cool threads about their immortal character?

Do you know why I'm bored? Why I don't log in to the same character I've played since I got first got here? Because I can get guns and drugs in bulk, any time I want, but finding a knife or a fistfight is impossible. This is only going to make that worse. Staff is title, not an occupation. You are all dungeonmasters. Dungeonmasters are allowed to make decisions that contradict the rules. Why are we acting as if IFM is the federal government and we're filing our taxes?

Edited by Skip
  • Upvote 9
14 minutes ago, Morte666 said:

All ima say is, it’s America bro, and LS is based off of Los Angela’s so knifes and shit for a supplier of an illegal faction on the street should not even be a thing, this is not the U.K or some other country where people depend on knifes, another thing, there is faction favoritism everyone on world know what factions have been favorited and what factions suffered because another faction was favorited, also the unofficial and official thing honestly, is kinda dumb in my eyes it’s smart but dumb I think if one makes a turf another faction shouldn’t be allowed to be made on ones turf because that’s just gonna bring a war instantly and there is a lot of things that the server needs to do not just for Mafia RPers, and illegal RPers away from Davis because most of the time those are the RPers who get the most love when it comes to Reports, and even from the admin team itself, like there is a lot of things in Davis Gang RPers can use if people come down there and work at stores, the mall, and many other things it would bring more Roleplay. 

Thank you, seriously. "All ima say is, it’s America bro, and LS is based off of Los Angela’s so knifes and shit for a supplier of an illegal faction on the street should not even be a thing, this is not the U.K or some other country where people depend on knifes, another thing," - is so true.

Also, can we make it to where people don't need to "buy" a damn lockpick off someone? IRL, people don't need to ask to buy a lockpick off someone like they're buying a gun or drug, it's a tool and should be purchasable at a store. 

40 minutes ago, Nervous said:

It is actually relevant and very important. It gives everyone a fair base and a more transparent process for "upgrading" a faction.

Wouldn't it be completely fair if all Supplier Applications & Acceptances are transparent and public? People already know who has what supplier status and what faction they belong to (if they have 1) so you can't really complain about MG or any OOC shit because it happens even now when everything is behind IFM doors. Yeah it might disclose some sensitive IG information about whoopty-whoop on the Application but that can be handled like MG off of faction screenshots, which happens but is dealt with 100% of the time. In addition, if applications were public, it gives people a chance to call out some bullshit that they can verify but IFM and Admins can't. If people actually saw these applications and who were selected. it'll shut people up about Biases, unless there's an actual complete bias which forces IFM to act appropriate and accordingly. A lot of people base their shit on hearsay and what not, let IFM prove that they aren't biased and that they follow their own guidelines into choosing Suppliers. If there is no bias then no one can say shit about the process.

Make supplier applications and acceptances transparent and public to all.

Edited by yungskywalker
4 hours ago, honey. said:

Faction favoritism, this occurs when a faction is favored over others due to "good roleplay", however, there is little to no evidence to support this and it is based purely on personal experience. 

Let me get into a couple of three things.

The fact that this is mentioned it's clearly on someones mind that the community has this perception, I think everyone knows what's what but let's keep this sensitive topic for another time.

My questions would be why does IFM seek to "solve" issues by creating more issues? The team is incredibly small for the amount of workload and new members appear once in a blue moon and half the time they end up kicked out quicker than they joined. This kind of system would create an insane workload for all of you and having mentioned that "faction favouritism" the new system basically opens the door for it to continue/exist

The fact that factions can be denied moving up a tear already gives plenty of room for such things to happen, of course given actual punishments etc it's fine for them to be denied from moving up however is this how will that system function or will it function like the supplier system where nobody has a clue on why they were denied and never receive a response?

In my opinion this will create nothing but extra workload and dissatisfaction within the community "Why should X faction receive this if we are so much better blah blah they are bunch of dmers trash rpers"

IFM already cannot deal with their own workload such as the group system. Despite having clear guidelines and rules that groups cannot start out as existing organisations with a high tier hierarchy 99% of the factions made in groups have 0 "growth" and start out as full fledged OC's, MC's etc. Many concepts that shouldn't exist which I will not name due to obvious reasons exist just fine in groups section and nobody bothers to do anything about it. The group system is a big issue while it has it's positives anyone that has been here since 18-19 will probably agree with me that the quality of factions has gone down immensely ever since the group system came out because there is 0 filter, people that have 0 reason to even become "official" which means absolutely nothing outside a faction script, can safely exist and do whatever they please.

If this proposal is a way to combat the "lack of guns/drugs" issue maybe the right idea would be to clean up the groups and start pushing for some standards so that there would be actual candidates for supplies, maybe give feedback to people that apply for said drug/gun suppliers so there is actual transparency on why someone was denied and maybe they could improve from it. IFM already discusses said applications, there is no reason that the applicant is unable to receive responses regarding their application.

Opening up the floodgates for more people getting guns/drugs because of "good behaviour" despite the fact that there is a clear lack of quality factions (there is some good ones of course) is just going to further lower the standards because all people will have to do is be patient and try not to dm so much and they will get access to guns/drugs

Any long time criminal rper will easily tell you that there is no issues with guns or drugs, if you are somebody that murders 10-15 people a week and lose 5 guns per week then I don't think this system is even aimed at you. I think instead of trying to shift to RPG elements such as turfs, the groups system should be revised and a focus on promoting  actual quality roleplay/factions is what should be looked at first rather than giving more toys to more people to create more problems.

• Applaud 2
55 minutes ago, yungskywalker said:

Wouldn't it be completely fair if all Supplier Applications & Acceptances are transparent and public? People already know who has what supplier status and what faction they belong to (if they have 1) so you can't really complain about MG or any OOC shit because it happens even now when everything is behind IFM doors. Yeah it might disclose some sensitive IG information about whoopty-whoop on the Application but that can be handled like MG off of faction screenshots, which happens but is dealt with 100% of the time. In addition, if applications were public, it gives people a chance to call out some bullshit that they can verify but IFM and Admins can't. If people actually saw these applications and who were selected. it'll shut people up about Biases, unless there's an actual complete bias which forces IFM to act appropriate and accordingly. A lot of people base their shit on hearsay and what not, let IFM prove that they aren't biased and that they follow their own guidelines into choosing Suppliers. If there is no bias then no one can say shit about the process.

Make supplier applications and acceptances transparent and public to all.

There’s no reason to make supplier applications transparent.

8 minutes ago, Rumbunctious said:

Two years ago, the IFM team effectively consisted of two admins.

In two years time, or earlier, the IFM team might well be at a manpower deficit once more.

And if that happens, this system will collapse - if it even gets off the ground. It baffles me that IFM constantly refers to the immense amount of work they already have, yet apparently have time for the many, many hours this system will incur.

That’s not to mention that the draw of this server is that it is an RP server. We should be aiming to be the best in that genre, not trying to imitate the complexities of RPGs backed by professional studios. 

As they say… Keep it IC.

This system is actually here to reduce workload and bring more players around the table when it comes to evaluating factions, not just IFM admins. It's also here to reduce the amount of negativity surrounding suppliers applications, where 2 people out of 50+ applicants are accepted, leaving 95% of the applicants unhappy and calling "bias".