Discussion: Illegal Faction Revamp

khadijeh.

Do you want to see the faction tier system on the server instead of the current faction system?  

581 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Quality over quantity has always been the name of the game when it comes to portrayal of any sort of organized crime in role-play communities. Just like time, time's relative no pun intended at all. I'm not sure why you're willing to reward factions due to the fact that they've been up and running for a certain amount of time?

If anything a factions portrayal of their characters and their role play surrounding their faction is what should be rewarded and evaluated. A faction that is up and running for four months but provide exemplary portrayal of their organization is clearly more valuable to a role-play server than one who provides mediocre role-play but manage to stay alive for a longer period of time. Not to be harsh but the faction that stands out are the ones that should be rewarded in order to make sure that they stick around and that IFM do what they can to make sure that they're able to portray their organization the way they'd like to portray it. 

Everyone wants the role-play on the server to improve, it's only possible if the factions that actually provide the quality and the exemplary portrayal of their organizations are rewarded because of their quality not because of the fact that they've been up and running for 6 months. 

IFM should only be there to provide guidance & assistance in a factions portrayal and make sure that what they're trying to portray is possible and not limited. 

The only people I can see really kicking against a change like this are the ones who have been kept afloat entirely by their supplier status and OOC connections to other suppliers, so big props to IFM for trying to address an issue that has existed for many months. People are worrying about minor sticking points when the current system we have is much worse. This can be trialled and amended accordingly and is a good step forward.

When you dont have semi exclusive access to drug and gun supplies you will be forced to actually RP to gain influence. Though territories should remain an entirely IC venture because new factions arent reliant on IFM determining which area is theirs from the get go.

54 minutes ago, voucher said:

I think that it’s overall a good idea, but the month requirements should be removed. The quality of the faction and its roleplay should determine moving up exclusively, how long the faction has been around is irrelevant. 

I both agree and disagree.

Naturally, factions of the quality expected should be promoted, praised and used to influence the quality of roleplay on this server, but I feel that IFM have the proposed faction tier system in a good place. If you read the thread again, time is not the only stipulation to move up to the next rank - factions will have to work to ensure their roleplay quality is consistent whilst keeping their members on the straight and narrow when it comes to admin records. Nowhere does it state that factions will automatically move up a tier based on the time they've been open, and in fact it states that if factions aren't up to the grade their potential movement between tiers will be blocked and reset. I'm also confident that there'll be further internal requirements for moving up a tier above those that have been listed. 

I feel that the proposed structure will benefit the quality factions long term, and no one should be receiving top tier benefits a month after opening.

5 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

What I don't like about GTAw's illegal aspect of the server is that everything is micromanaged. There is so much unnecessary bureaucracy involved that it completely dilutes and affects the IC landscape. Having to jump through countless OOC hoops just to explain every little step of your roleplay is what is serving as a deterrent here.

I agree. If there's one thing IFM take away from this thread, please let it be this. 

• Upvote 1

Two questions:

1.  Can staff keep up with the workload?  I think we can easily imagine IFM and PM (the latter especially seeing as they're perpetually swamped, seemingly) being overloaded with the proposed benefits on top of every other illegal/property component already in play.  A lot of people have touched on this already, but it definitely seems like a massive strain on the already stupidly bureaucratic system.
  2. "If a faction has a supplier, they will receive the supplier amounts rather than the faction amounts." Does this mean that, instead of supplier + faction amount, a faction would only receive a supplier's amount? Maybe I'm not wrapping my head around this one properly.
  • Upvote 1

I think that moving towards favoring factions that can prove to have staying power and continuity is a great way to change how many Unofficial Groups on the road to Official will operate. I'm seeing the argument of "quality over quantity" being thrown around a lot, but in my humble opinion nobody should seriously become a crime powerhouse within 1-3 months save for some very specific personal circumstances. They can make a very strong appearance in the illegal landscape, but considering how statistically most UGs have a lifespan between 2 weeks and a month and a half, right now there seems to be a lot of groups that burn bright and fast in a sort of rush from the starting line.

A month to official is okay, it's fine, many people prove to be official worthy in a month, and that just opens the doors to having three whole months to build up their worth IC and make the proper moves and connections. I feel like a lot of the people opposing this come from a feeling of not wanting to play underdog criminal outfits or wanting to skip that part of it into becoming powerful really quickly, personally.

There's fun in the struggle. A rags to riches story can go on for more than two months to develop and it's fine.

I'm glad that you're trying to fix up the bad steps that have been made previously. It's also refreshing that you're starting to actually listen the voices of roleplayers who should be the band that actually creates the actual vocals. We all do want to have the server improved with roleplay, hence IFM's the stand-point from where we can start. The fact that the previous IFM council is disbanded tells us that someone noticed all the problems and started to figure things out on how to remap the situation on the server. Taking that aside, I'm really glad to see that couple of official/unofficial factions really provide a great sense of roleplay and I really hope that this new progress won't favourise a faction that's on good terms with the leading team and get the status without actually deserving it. 

6 minutes ago, The Chief said:

Naturally, factions of the quality expected should be promoted, praised and used to influence the quality of roleplay on this server, but I feel that IFM have the proposed faction tier system in a good place. If you read the thread again, time is not the only stipulation to move up to the next rank - factions will have to work to ensure their roleplay quality is consistent whilst keeping their members on the straight and narrow when it comes to admin records. Nowhere does it state that factions will automatically move up a tier based on the time they've been open, and in fact it states that if factions aren't up to the grade their potential movement between tiers will be blocked and reset. I'm also confident that there'll be further internal requirements for moving up a tier above those that have been listed. 

This should go without saying. Well said.

I have two concerns.

1. Implementation of this update

What I miss in the whole discussion so far and something that I also wasn't able to clarify by reading the first post, is how all of this is to be implemented. I'm not well versed on much of the current situation when it comes to the faction system, so you'll have to forgive me for that, but when I look at the list of current official factions I can see factions that have been around since anywhere between 2019 and two months ago. I can only assume that some of these factions that have been around for a few months will have quite some power and reputation on the streets, perhaps even more than a faction that's been around for two years but is a slow burner, is less active, or has a different type of presence. By implementing this update, the risk is that factions are suddenly set back in what has been a natural course of development up to this point. I am worried that it will create an immediate power vacuum which only benefits factions that happen to have been around for a little bit longer, regardless of whether they deserve it from an in character point of view. I am worried that it will create an even bigger gap between powerhouses and up-and-coming talent. A way to avoid this is making all the current official factions the same tier when this update is pushed, but then again that will benefit some and damage others. If the proposed idea by IFM is to hand select which current factions should be in which tiers based on their in character development, then why even do this update at all, as that contradicts the exact reasoning for bringing this update in the first place. Will it only be applied to new groups hitting the mark of a faction? Because if so, that just creates an even bigger gap. I see no easy way to implement this without damaging the current in character flow of things, and I believe it should be an important subject before even talking about the different tiers.

2. I think the desire of this community (from the administrative side) to have everything streamlined and work like an administrative operation is getting somewhat out of control. Whilst I agree and praise for the many functions and schemes that do work like a charm with a streamlined process on here, I have to point out that some things just require common sense and human research. Ticking checkboxes isn't always the route to take, and I think when it comes to factions longevity is not the most important aspect. It takes tailored solutions and opportunities based on in character development, faction concept and quality of role play that is provided to the server. The fine print says that whilst longevity is a rough guideline, quality of role play will be taken into account to bypass said guidelines. That basically brings us back to the situation before this update, where selectivity had the upper hand. I fail to see what changes, apart from from some tiers that actually seem to limit what a faction can and can not do on OOC terms instead of just basing the decision on what the faction has achieved in character. Not everything is suitable for a checkbox.