Increase punishment for intentional disconnecting.

7 hours ago, Hotwire said:

Well,

Let me just give you an example, I have to wake up everyday at around 4 AM. So usually when I roleplay on world I get off at about 11 PM-ish. 

One time, I shot a person and I ended up being in the back of the cop car for about 140 minutes. As they were doing the whole investigation infront of me. So I had to PM the cop like 40 times to just process me already. It's crazy but these long times you have to roleplay for is crazy. Especially if you are a casual role-player that gets on and gets off. 

People have lives at the end of the day and many people don't see that. It's a video game and we should be able to leave and log on as we wish in most cases. I can see some cases where you shouldn't be able to log, but it's not going to ruin someone's day if I have to leave 50 minutes after committing a crime..

That's not what this suggestion is about, though. It's not about people who crash and can't come back or people whose life gets in the way. It's about not allowing people to rage quit just because they don't want to lose. It's not about someone who had to leave because their class was starting - it's about someone who got caught and quit to not be arrested. And that, the latter, shall not be allowed nor tolerated in any measure.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Coburn said:

Or just permban people who don't give a shit.

dude broke server rules "because he was bored".

LOL 60 minute ajail. Wtf 😳 dude should’ve gotten banned straight up. 

Edited by - Alfie -

Hi -

So, intentional disconnecting.. Very frustrating. Harsher punishments towards this... hmm. The only issue is people can easily lie and get out of the issue if they say 'I had something important IRL' or 'I lost internet' as this happens quite frequently. How should us administrators counter this argument? I know the whole 'well don't start something if you can't stay for a +1hour. But let's be real here, when you're getting into shenanigans, you don't always realize you're getting into it. 

I remember when I first joined the server, I was in a situation that was not shenanigans, but then ended up twisting and twirling like a ballerina INTO shenanigan which made a RP situation take 1 hour to 9+ hours. This was fortunately during a weekend, so I was available to stay - but keep in mind, roleplay takes a long time sometimes. 

Forum reporting is of course a thing, and we do go based off the administrative record. We also ask for other admin's opinions on the matter. If it's a first offense, chances are they aren't going to get banned - that's an extreme outcome that management doesn't want. 

So - what are some suggestions to limit the HARSHNESS you guys are wanting, but also make it so you'll have to deal with this less? Because in fairness, once someone disconnects once - they hardly ever do it again. You might run into another person who does it, but it's hardly the same individual. In times like this, you just have to wait it out until they DO get banned.

1 hour ago, Wuhtah said:

Hi -

So, intentional disconnecting.. Very frustrating. Harsher punishments towards this... hmm. The only issue is people can easily lie and get out of the issue if they say 'I had something important IRL' or 'I lost internet' as this happens quite frequently. How should us administrators counter this argument? I know the whole 'well don't start something if you can't stay for a +1hour. But let's be real here, when you're getting into shenanigans, you don't always realize you're getting into it. 

I remember when I first joined the server, I was in a situation that was not shenanigans, but then ended up twisting and twirling like a ballerina INTO shenanigan which made a RP situation take 1 hour to 9+ hours. This was fortunately during a weekend, so I was available to stay - but keep in mind, roleplay takes a long time sometimes. 

Forum reporting is of course a thing, and we do go based off the administrative record. We also ask for other admin's opinions on the matter. If it's a first offense, chances are they aren't going to get banned - that's an extreme outcome that management doesn't want. 

So - what are some suggestions to limit the HARSHNESS you guys are wanting, but also make it so you'll have to deal with this less? Because in fairness, once someone disconnects once - they hardly ever do it again. You might run into another person who does it, but it's hardly the same individual. In times like this, you just have to wait it out until they DO get banned.

If somebody needs to intentionally disconnect due to a very long RP situation that they didn't intend to be in that's not a problem. Simply communicate with the people involved and come to a resolution.

The problem is people who say nothing, intentionally disconnect to avoid going to jail or losing their guns or whatever the losing case their character is in, then you never hear from them again. You forum report them and they get a 30 minute ajail. I don't think we should be limiting the harshness, 7 days for the first offense and permanent bans for the 2nd offense is reasonable for these offenses.

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2021 at 9:48 PM, Wuhtah said:

Hi -

I think the first thing to do would be to stop dishing out "benefit of the doubt"s like this, as lots of them are unwarranted. Most cases like these are not legitimate. Sure, it might happen once or twice, but what's the chance someone had the time to plan a robbery, commit it, engage in a pursuit, then a hostage situation and after 3 hours or so, when they get caught, have their power run out? This happens way too often, over and over again. I've never really seen someone crash while winning a situation and not come back, but we're all always seeing people do the opposite - crash (or quit) when they begin losing and not come back. The way to tell if it's legitimate is to see if they try to continue. Does someone claim their internet ran out but /pm'ed the person or /report'ed them first thing when they got in-game? Or did they just go on about their day?

There are so, so, so many cases of people blatantly saying "I don't care about you all or your time and RP" and being hit with a stern verbal warning or even worse, a written one. There are so many people with admin records longer than a Sandy Shores Autos' stock list, being given chance after chance after chance, showing no regard for others and no interest in heavy role-play. There are people who portray horrifically unrealistic characters. And nothing's changing. By the time they finally get banned, they will have impacted tons of people negatively and many others will have followed suit, seeing how easy it is to get away with breaking rules. Under the small chance you're even caught and documented, under the small chance you can't apologize and slither your way out of it, you might get hit with a verbal warning. If someone's not here to role-play, they should be banned right away.

Just see how ironic this is - you ruin the role-play of hundreds of people, hundreds of collective hours, over and over again, over the course of 5 months? Great. You might get banned for 2 months or so. You attempt to chargeback a donation? You're being hit with a permanent ban immediately.

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2021 at 4:52 PM, Mahitto said:

At the very least, the punishment should be how much people waited * how many people are involved * 10.

If you were being pursued by 12 people who waited 20 minutes for you? You'll be in admin jail for 2400 minutes, or 40 hours. I don't understand why it's alright for so many people to literally waste their time on rule-breakers just so they can receive a bunch of warnings in exchange. By the time they either stop or are banned, dozens of people have spent dozens of hours, collectively, waiting for them to return.

This obviously shouldn't apply to people legitimately crashing or losing connection (as we all know, there's a good chance it could happen in such a moment), but rather people doing it on purpose and without hesitation.

All Im gonna say, samp servers used to jail people for 24h, 3 days 5 days, sometimes even more depending what youve done lolll

• Upvote 1