Reduce excessive Facebrowser post deletion/account banning

Pascal

perhaps FB and FB moderation should be an IC job or an IC activity given to (not only) staff members. if it's staff members who moderate, perhaps they shouldn't be trying to moderate in a way that promotes their IC influencership or their modeling company. 

• Upvote 1

Ultimately I think that if the community at large enjoys the shitposts from certain accounts and these accounts are generally more involved than just some throwaway account saying slurs, they're also representing a demographic of real life social media and have something to add. These people use IC pictures to meme, refer to IC events, and generate funny content and conversation, and are run by some of the more creative and actually funny members of the community. 

I personally don't RP Facebrowser as a tiny website where all the users that exist are just the player characters. My personal way of understanding it is that Facebrowser is a global site that my character only uses locally, and where he has a certain range of action and scope because he's not going to start trying to interact with people living somewhere else. It feels silly to RP Facebrowser as the same size as the number of characters, because that only leads to confirming that Los Santos is in fact only populated by 500 people and nobody else exists, or that the rest of society somehow forgot how computers work.

Imagen

6 minutes ago, liq said:

perhaps FB and FB moderation should be an IC job or an IC activity given to (not only) staff members. if it's staff members who moderate, perhaps they shouldn't be trying to moderate in a way that promotes their IC influencership or their modeling company. 

The trouble is as far as I'm aware the platform used (though it may/may not have changed) is quite limited with regards to mod permissions. as there's no way to limit what is and isn't seen by mod accounts. Particularly problematic when it comes to personal data, e-mail, IP addresses etc and there's also other features (which I'm not going to go into) that absolutely can be abused. It's not worth the risk to let even trusted players moderate the site.

Edited by Moonsong
1 minute ago, Koko said:

Ultimately I think that if the community at large enjoys the shitposts from certain accounts and these accounts are generally more involved than just some throwaway account saying slurs, they're also representing a demographic of real life social media and have something to add. These people use IC pictures to meme, refer to IC events, and generate funny content and conversation, and are run by some of the more creative and actually funny members of the community. 

I personally don't RP Facebrowser as a tiny website where all the users that exist are just the player characters. My personal way of understanding it is that Facebrowser is a global site that my character only uses locally, and where he has a certain range of action and scope because he's not going to start trying to interact with people living somewhere else. It feels silly to RP Facebrowser as the same size as the number of characters, because that only leads to confirming that Los Santos is in fact only populated by 500 people and nobody else exists, or that the rest of society somehow forgot how computers work.

I roleplay it this way too. But it becomes immersion breaking with the same person keeps making accounts to DM you, sext you and generally harass players. Certainly you can self moderate to an extent and block troublemakers, but it becomes oh so obvious when you encounter the same person over and over. Similar thing applies to all the gang accounts, posting drugs, guns etc. Sure it happens on irl networks but it's not every fucking post, irl social networks are so big that unless you're looking for it you generally don't come across it. On FB it's every other post, it becomes tedious.

I agree. It seems some of the content being deleted/banned is all backwards. As long as the person isn't breaking a rule, or being genuinely offensive then leave it alone. I think it's great  they're paying attention, but you shouldn't have to walk on eggshells when you wanna be creative. 

It's giving banning Baby it's cold outside, but keeps WAP vibes. 

• Selena locked this topic

Hi,

I have read through this topic and understood your concerns and feedback, I'll provide you an insight to how we as moderators conduct ourselves, handle situations, what we look for and so on.

When it comes to deleting photos on Facebrowser we tend to follow the guidelines that are outlined in the Facebrowser Rules, whilst I understand they are vague, I do also believe strongly that it should make sense. Photos that generally get deleted (generally) are anything including genital photos, that includes it being slipped into a photo "without us noticing" or topless photos, outright nudes, IRL spam bots, IRL photos (profile related), OOC bashing, OOC mixing, gore (including the usage of blood in the wrong way, anything you'd find on like... liveleak/gore websites etc), and lewd images; varying from sex related videos/memes.

You'll ask why? Why are we being restrictive on an IC website for a game? Well, whilst I understand that, I also have to respect the server rules being under rule 9 and 19, I personally try to look at it objectively rather than subjectively, however, in some cases we have to be subjective to the matter. We have to in a way moderate what underage people are being exposed to and that in itself is incredibly hard. 

We get spammed by many players regularly averaging about 25 reports a day on the website and unfortunately due to the website's structure we're unable to find out WHY the report was submitted - thus, we have to look for ourselves. Sometimes the photos can be extremely obvious, as I mentioned, Spam bots, Phishing accounts, OOC Bashing/Mixing or outright nudes. That and we get reports on accounts and without it being extremely obvious we are left to our own devices. (Which is why QD is quite handy as you can include why you're reporting).

Discretion is used, I won't lie it is, but I will say that I'll notify the team and explain what I've gathered from this thread and hopefully you guys don't feel so restricted using the website. As aforementioned, I am revising the rules, so hopefully they will be more explained so that guidance can be followed.

Lastly, whilst I appreciate sometimes random ass photos can be deleted it usually is what it's containing, what the meme entails for example, if it's a shadow of someone engaging in sex or other activties, patiences is the key. Allow me the time to impose these new ideas and rules and hopefully you'll see a change in the coming weeks. I say weeks because it gives players times to be open with what they want to post.

Touching on the idea of it being an IC business with IC jobs, unfortunately, that has been denied several times by Management, I did push for it as it could have been great, however, it will remain for the time being an OOC responsibility. With that being said, I will quickly touch on posts; When you're going to post about FB Mod team you're directly addressing the admins handling it OOC as it's not an IC business. 

I appreciate the topic and I hear you all, thank you for the feedback and we'll work towards making it better for you all.

Edited by Selena
  • Upvote 7