Extend chopshop list durations

Deano776

Detailed Description

Increase the duration the list is active for while using a chopshop. Currently the list runs from midnight to midnight - 24 hours. I suggest we extend this to 3, 5 or 7 days. A server crash also resets the lists, while infrequent, is annoying when it happens. If there was a way to save the lists during a crash that would be a plus.

Chopping a vehicle from start to finish can be done in a number of hours if fully roleplayed out and everything does smoothly. It would be nice to have more time if IC problems arise such as LEO or owners returning to the vehicle. Right now it feels as if the clock is always counting down way too fast on a list that I feel realistically wouldn't expire within a day.

Relevant Commands/Items

There wouldn't really need to be a command if it was known the list changes every Monday at midnight and lasts 7 days for example. If it was extended 3 or 5 days, adding a timer to the list UI or /chopshoptime could be used.

How will it benefit the server?

Even though the list is active for 24 currently, the average player probably only sees 4 or less hours a day in-game while working around OOC commitments. That allows ~4 hours to go over to the list, note it all down, go out hunting down vehicles and roleplay fully disassembling it. ICly it's more realistic to break into vehicles at night so can effect players in different timezones.

The benefit to extending the time would mean more meaningful roleplay around tracking down vehicles or knowing of people who have a vehicle on the list and following them over days if they follow patterns. Some of the lists are shared within organizations with a price put on each vehicle. It can be taxing to go on in the morning to get the list, type it up to send out within the organisation and then wait for vehicles to be delivered. A list that goes out at the start of the week would be better than daily list updates.

46 minutes ago, Nega said:

I think the whole chop list should be re-worked as a whole, extending it would make it easier to chop cars. Also add some sort of protection against /fixveh abuse that way you don't have to sit in the car all day. 

I agree however the /fixveh is a separate issue all together, not to mention it can easily be handled by an admin in-game.

32 minutes ago, Robyn said:

List needs fixing before it gets extending because with how it is right now if it was extended you could get a list of just vehicles that are completely shit and/or never appear and you'd be stuck with it for days

The suggestion is to extend the TIME the list is active for, not the number of vehicles on the list. 

I agree with both of you that the chopshop script, heck even the /vbreakin and vehicle alarm script is broken making the risk vs reward not worth it at all. The roleplay you get from stealing vehicles is what makes it fun. The server is probably prioritising bigger issues instead of the chopshop script atm. This is why I suggest we increase the time the list is active for to at least put a bandage over what we all know isn't the best it could be.

31 minutes ago, Deano776 said:

The suggestion is to extend the TIME the list is active for, not the number of vehicles on the list. 

I agree with both of you that the chopshop script, heck even the /vbreakin and vehicle alarm script is broken making the risk vs reward not worth it at all. The roleplay you get from stealing vehicles is what makes it fun. The server is probably prioritising bigger issues instead of the chopshop script atm. This is why I suggest we increase the time the list is active for to at least put a bandage over what we all know isn't the best it could be.

Yeah, I know. I'm saying the way the lists work right now extending the time could leave you with a shit list for almost a week with how it current is set up. I like having the lists for longer but the system itself needs an overhaul first otherwise you'll end up with a list of low part cars mixed with cars nobody drives for several days. It's not particularly putting a bandage on it as of now, would be closer to using a single thread on an open wound

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Robyn said:

Yeah, I know. I'm saying the way the lists work right now extending the time could leave you with a shit list for almost a week with how it current is set up. I like having the lists for longer but the system itself needs an overhaul first otherwise you'll end up with a list of low part cars mixed with cars nobody drives for several days. It's not particularly putting a bandage on it as of now, would be closer to using a single thread on an open wound

I take your point on board, but can't say I've had a list that's been totally worthless. There's enough variation in the vehicles I'd say.

• Wuhtah locked this topic