Whats with scenes being voided?

Zach..

7 minutes ago, Viscaria said:

How long are we to spectate these occurrences when there's lots of other reports needing to be handled? is it fair to have witnessed rulebreaking and not intervene until the entire scene is over while there's other players that have potentially been waiting a long time for admin intervention? these scenes can take upwards of an hour or more.

Kinda simple, PM one of the Officers on scene to notify you when the situation is over.

This sort of ties in with what I wrote above with having to spectate a good amount of time while other reports continue stacking, its likely not fair for different reasons, I can understand the point of courtesy by asking the highest ranking online if they wish to continue, that's not always possible as any admin below level 1 and isn't LFM doesn't have direct access to the command to set themselves in the faction to check /fonline. Other admins can set it for us, but sometimes they're too busy, may not be watching the admin chat at the time, doing things while tabbed out, etc. The only other way would be for us to find someone in the faction who isn't in the pursuit and ask them, possible, but awkward, still I'll consider this going forward.

Find someone in the pursuit who will be able to notify you, simple as that. Besides you guys have access to teamspeak so you can hop in TAC-1, write in chat and 20 people will see, then you will be contacted when it's over.

I know that not everyone in the faction enjoys shootouts, some despise them in fact, but I gather that a good amount also do enjoy them. The issue I've found with letting entire scenes play out like this, is that one of you ends up doing all the MDC paperwork only to get it voided, this has happened a few times before and I'm left with someone frustrated because they just wrote up a bunch of stuff only for it to get deleted and void. I get that what you mean here is that if its something like a pursuit, we could let it continue until its conclusion and everyone goes separate ways, but what if then the players who already left continue roleplaying around the scene that was voided? they perhaps log off after the fact and end up roleplaying development due to it without knowing about the void, or do we jump in directly when it reaches its conclusion when everyone is still present? which still leaves people stood around waiting doing nothing. 

I don't understand the need for a situation to be voided just because someone broke a rule. You can still ajail them after the fact when they're arrested and they receive the IC and OOC punishment as this should. In case it still gets voided, you intervene as soon as the pursuit/situation ends and you ajail/ban them before the arresting Officer starts writing up the MDC paperwork, which doesn't happen before teh suspect is arrested anyway. Jumping in directly once it reaches the conclusion is the best way, because Officers will be cleared from the scene and you'll be taking your action.

If they call off the pursuit and put up a forum report, that contributes to forum reports taking even longer to get handled when admin intervention could have been taken in-game in the moment. The problem with all the above is that no matter what action you usually take as an admin, it will leave some people unhappy about something or another or cause other issues that could perhaps have been prevented. What I can say from this however, is that I'll be taking into consideration that LEO's may be enjoying the roleplay at hand, and I absolutely understand that they all get tired of things getting paused and voided, and if its possible, I'll let it continue for as long as I'm able should it be a viable option given the circumstances.

Thing is, there's more people annoyed by situations getting voided than people annoyed that situations doesn't get voided, so I don't think that argument with leaving people unhappy is valid. We only resort to forum reports if an admin ingame doesn't handle the situation there and it results that it has to go to forum reports. The whole point of this discussion is to promote admins taking initiative in letting situations play out and finding alternative ways to achieve that

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Viscaria said:

If they call off the pursuit and put up a forum report, that contributes to forum reports taking even longer to get handled when admin intervention could have been taken in-game in the moment

Pursuits are usually too dynamic and fast paced for an admin to respond during the course of the pursuit. Over the past two weeks, every report I've submitted during a pursuit has been handled after the pursuit was over.

I can't speak for anyone else but myself here, but I'll certainly be taking all this information onboard and applying it accordingly where appropriate. I feel its been a good discussion which will result in more fun and less frustrations overall and I appreciate all the feedback that's been given, my goal is always to constantly improve as an admin to the benefit of players and that won't ever change so long as I'm in the staff team. Hopefully going forward I can avoid these occurrences that are happening all too often and use better, now more experienced judgement when handling these type of situations.

• Upvote 3
8 minutes ago, Viscaria said:

I can't speak for anyone else but myself here, but I'll certainly be taking all this information onboard and applying it accordingly where appropriate. I feel its been a good discussion which will result in more fun and less frustrations overall and I appreciate all the feedback that's been given, my goal is always to constantly improve as an admin to the benefit of players and that won't ever change so long as I'm in the staff team. Hopefully going forward I can avoid these occurrences that are happening all too often and use better, now more experienced judgement when handling these type of situations.

Indeed and we appreciate you, just hope more admins could reflect on this.

Some of the points mentioned above are genuinely good and I for one will definitely try and consider them while handling situations going ahead. It's rare to see threads with actual suggestions rather than baseless criticism.

I try to involve myself less in reports related to LEO RP, mainly due to my involvement in it, but these are good points to consider from a players perspective. We do definitely try our best at times to come to the most reasonable solution, but some situations are not meant to have a happy conclusion for everyone involved. 

That said, a lot of input to consider.

Edited by Rohan.

I've never played an LEO like a lot of people in this thread, but have been a part of an illegal faction and illegal social circles and voids were the most frustrating thing. There'd be some massive event like a shootout or a chase or something similar. Everyone reacts and responds, starts adapting and figuring it out... and then someone in /fchat or /b or PMs needs to inform everyone that the whole thing is voided and you should pretend it never happened. Trying to figure out exactly where the 'line' is on that void is never a clear cut task since the situation usually didnt just start at a single definite point. It usually involved everyone having to void or drop things that weren't even solidly a part of it just because it doesn't make sense for that storyline to have stopped dead otherwise.

Edited by LizziePup
  • Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic