Whats with scenes being voided?

Zach..

44 minutes ago, Gambler said:

I'm curious to hear some examples/scenarios where scenes got voided. Unless you provide specific cases or the examples where voiding happens the most, every suggestion made by other commenters is null.

Big amount of shootouts which LEO's respond to, many barricaded suspects logging off, pursuits being voided because people aren't capable of driving normally and roleplay consequences of crashes, logging to avoid after being caught and potentially losing stuff on them and the list goes on. There's obviously more, but these ones happen on most occasions from my experience.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Gambler said:

I can imagine and I feel for PD in some cases. But if it ends up in ajail what can you do. 😕 You can't just allow rulebreak to happen.

I just believe that if an ajail is needed and the scene can continue, it really should. Obviously theres some times where stuff has to be voided, but if we can change the general process and allow some scenes to continue, it would benefit the server imo.

27 minutes ago, Zach.. said:

A good 60% of situations where SWAT is called result in people logging off/getting ajailed. It's infuriating to log off of something else/get out of bed/etc just to be told it's no longer happening. Most of these people disconnecting do it purposefully/maliciously.

This is the bigger issue with the entire situation. People breaking these rules aren't doing it as first-time rule breakers. They know the rules. They know if they break the rule they will get punished, scene will get voided, and their character suffers no IC consequences. It seems some would rather take the OOC punishment over the IC punishment, which is ridiculous. In some situations, they should be punished IC'ly and punished accordingly for logging off/maliciously disconnecting/breaking a rule just to avoid the IC consequences. Might certainly crack down on some of these shitty scenarios.

Edited by Cypher99
21 minutes ago, Zach.. said:

I just believe that if an ajail is needed and the scene can continue, it really should. Obviously theres some times where stuff has to be voided, but if we can change the general process and allow some scenes to continue, it would benefit the server imo.

The problem here is that if someone's breaking rules to the point at which they're reported, the handling admin would have to keep letting them break the rules and not intervene, which would, in return, still damage the role-play of many more people. If they were to intervene, the person would know they're about to receive some sort of punishment and rush through the role-play - we can't really expect anyone to answer positively to "hey, put in efford and provide some good role-play so that you can be admin-jailed after that".

The only thing I can think of, is a punishment where the rulebreaker also happens to be a criminal, should suffer not only the OOC punishment, but also the worst IC outcome of the sittuation he/she was involved in.

Edited by Gambler
1 hour ago, Gambler said:

The only thing I can think of, is a punishment where the rulebreaker also happens to be a criminal, should suffer not only the OOC punishment, but also the worst IC outcome of the sittuation he/she was involved in.

Basically yeah. 😕 

It's harsh maybe, but for *recurring offenders* it may be the best all-around solution. Maybe not first-time offenders, everyone makes mistakes. But someone who's often involved in scenes that have to be voided because of their own rule breaking, I can understand why PD players (and even other illegal groups) may be irritated. Enforcing OOC sanctions BUT keeping as much of the scene as possible in order to also enforce the corresponding IC consequences could be an idea. 

Less voiding more punishing. I’ve witnessed people clearly DM and break the rules, the result is usually voiding it out with no punishment. 

We need staff enforcing more rules, handling forum reports quicker, holding those accountable and punishing them when they break rules and actually handling situations in game to avoid months of a back log on forum reports. 

Server is in this state because people continue to break rules because they know they won’t be punished except on a rare occasion. They’ll know it’ll probably just end in it being voided. 

• Applaud 1

I do agree. Working the LTD in Davis, I see a lot of this happen. Wether it was a shooting or robbery that was voided, it always seem to happen. I would say rp the scene til it is over, then punish players after the scene is over. I honestly believe this would help my character develop better and keep his story going up and down like a wave, because of voiding scenes. Just my thought.

Problem is not enough admins to effectively deal with the problem OOC whether it's handled in game or on the forums and if rules were broken leading up to a scene it wouldn't have happened in the first place if they weren't. Plus I got to feel more sorry for the admins giving up there time then the LEOs as the admins have no RP from it what so ever but they have to clean up the mess. People sign up to law enforcement for the shootouts, car chases and/or character development. They still get action more then most any other faction or roleplayer whether it gets avoided or not, there is a reason you never see alot of LEO's at bars like regular people as they aren't in it for the passive RP, they get their roleplay from the active RP which is always the best RP.

I feel the problem is not IC but it's the fact that OOC punishments for rule breaking is very lax or could be handled differently, maybe if you break the rules DMing you should have a character/account ban on being able to equip a fire arm for a certain time frame. It would put you at a disadvantage in character yes, but it will stop the ability to be able to do it again. It could lead to vehicle DMing or them using a melee weapon I hear you say? Well if they start to vehicle dm they aren't here to roleplay and have a play to win mentality and aren't wanted on the server. If they use a melee weapon then it's alot harder to get the same result as then the victim could either run away or fight back alot more effectively.

These are just my opinion not a matter of fact.

TLDR: Admins have it worse having to deal with the issues, LEOs still get the action RP from the shootouts or car chases even if the scene gets voided. Maybe new forms of punishment OOC need to be implemented.

8 hours ago, Timzii said:

Big amount of shootouts which LEO's respond to, many barricaded suspects logging off, pursuits being voided because people aren't capable of driving normally and roleplay consequences of crashes, logging to avoid after being caught and potentially losing stuff on them and the list goes on. There's obviously more, but these ones happen on most occasions from my experience.

This is because people mistake GTAO with chatting for roleplay. And they do that often. 

Edited by Engelbert
  • Wuhtah locked this topic