CK OOC close friends experiences

GambloTwitch

I once was very close to CK one of my long running faction co-leaders, that was there since the beginning. Had most of the members know about it and we had to keep it as a secret both ICly and OOCly so the guy didn't suspect or MG it, it didn't actually happen as the character fleed before it happened but I think that's as close as I was to CKing an "OOC friend" haha

Never been CK’d by a close friend or had to CK anyone I’m close with but if I did, it’d probably be pretty dope to laugh about after the fact. Will probably be easier to do but you never know. 

As for the other thing people are arguing about, TV shows and books and story based gaming all aim to make us feel something, roleplay is the same. Just don’t be a self-insert or take IC actions to heart OOC and you can feel whatever you want for all I care. 

Done it before, not on GTA:W though. It heavily depends on the person. One took it to heart, the other laughed about it and enjoyed the experience.

9 hours ago, GambloTwitch said:

we don't happen to RP together anymore because of this.

It'll happen at a later date, eventually.

11 hours ago, GambloTwitch said:

I am glad I feel happiness, sadness and all those feelings while roleplaying. I wouldn't play anymore if I was "empty" like you all.

The difference between the good roleplayer and the bad one is that the good one can separate feelings from IC reactions, but uses his mindset to react according to his character portrayal and IC matters. Which is not that easy. Because, at the end of the day, I'm sure you all have been angry, sad, or happy about something that has happened in-game. It's impossible not to prove ANYTHING if you spend more than 6+ hours a day developing your character. We all get involved emotionally, and that's part of the fun.

I've done it before, there is one friend on the server I have that I know OOC and we roleplay together, I can't imagine CKing one of his characters and prol never will again cuz he usually roleplays a relative / close friend of mine and follows my character's shadow (which he wants to, he doesn't like to put a lot of time into RP so he just joins in mine) but I have had to to before when he pissed sum1 IC off and he didn't care, don't be-friend people that are goonna be bitches when u merk them 4 being clowns

s/o @AnotherLibertyCityKid for being the realest gaming partner since 2017

Edited by ZaE
14 hours ago, imi said:

Try to distance yourself IC and OOC, it probably isn't too healthy if it's causing you grief OOC about an IC decision. Sure, some stuff can cause you some concerns especially when you've invested a lot of time and effort into a project, but do remember that your trying to portray a character. A lot of people in the criminal underworld try to portray a cuthroat rat that'll stab you in the back whenever the time's right, but have difficulties doing it to their OOC friends. I've seen strides in some criminal factions who aren't hesitant to betray and CK their key members, look no further than the Conti Crime Family killing Peter Conti... (RIP). 

In the words of the immortal Cao Cao... "I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me", at least that'd make more interesting roleplay...

Peter Conti was not in the scene for a long time before his CK, just saying. He wasn't a key member or relevant for a while, respectfully.

In a different rp medium our crew was literally all ck'd after a year of character development because of a handful of IC decisions made in the heat of the scene. I can honestly say I felt like total shit even if it's a game because in order to play a character a lot of people tread the line of empathy and disassociation. We put a lot of time and investment into the characters. That said, we commiserated and moved on. Everyone stayed friends. 

I've also had to kill friends characters and vice versa and I've felt terrible, but I'm just an empathetic person and there is nothing wrong with that.  Rp is different for different people. Some like the drama and the story, some want a life sim and everything to go perfectly. So people are going to have different reactions.

I wish people would realize that everyone is different and there is no right or wrong way when it comes to emotions. Feeling something about an IC event does not mean you need to "get off the game." That attitude is toxic and closed minded.

Obviously Just like with any game or hobby if something starts to detract from real life or mental health then maybe a person should re-evaluate but not just because you feel emotion over something that happens in game. 

@GambloTwitch I appreciate putting your experience and opinion out there. I think a lot of people forget that opinion is personal experience, not fact. Just because it's what they think doesn't make it gospel and also doesn't mean it can't be shared in a productive way. So ignore any of the toxicity.

On an final note and in the spirit of health discussion.

I have to disagree with the replies saying that actors don't feel emotions about their character. We were always taught that if you can't channel your character or find something to relate to in order to at least empathize then your performance won't resonate. I think the same can be said of rp. You don't have to have gone through the same experience but there is a level of understanding that I think gives gravitas to some scenes. Being in the moment is a thing. It's just knowing when/how to turn it off and making sure to not let OOC effect IC. 

I also disagree that roleplaying is just like acting. It's more like a hybrid of writing and acting. Improv is a good analogy though where I see it failing is in the fact that a lot of improv is done with little to no understanding beyond the basics of the character and the scenario and it's usually a short term singular scene. 

This is why rp is kind of it's own niche. It's essentially reactionary collaborative writing. 

Just some food for thought/my opinions.

• Thanks 1

nothing's wrong with being emotional over CK, if you can feel sad over fictional characters dying in books, movies and tv shows, u can do that here as well

but don't go around ooc beefing with George RR Martin for killing off Ned Stark, unless he broke the server rules while writing it  

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic