CK OOC close friends experiences

GambloTwitch

Just now, imi said:

Try to distance yourself IC and OOC, it probably isn't too healthy if it's causing you grief OOC about an IC decision. Sure, some stuff can cause you some concerns especially when you've invested a lot of time and effort into a project, but do remember that your trying to portray a character. A lot of people in the criminal underworld try to portray a cuthroat rat that'll stab you in the back whenever the time's right, but have difficulties doing it to their OOC friends. I've seen strides in some criminal factions who aren't hesitant to betray and CK their key members, look no further than the Conti Crime Family killing Peter Conti... (RIP). 

In the words of the immortal Cao Cao... "I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me", at least that'd make more interesting roleplay...

I love that you expressed the same concept as some people earlier. But, unlike them, you did it in a clear and polite way.

Honestly, sounds strange; but always found killing friends in games easier then anyone else, they’re less likely to cause a fuss over it and in another 30 minutes we’re having a laugh about it. Plus, our relationships are very much banter-like; I won’t let it down if I have killed his character. 😭😂

Just now, Mullin said:

Honestly, sounds strange; but always found killing friends in games easier then anyone else, they’re less likely to cause a fuss over it and in another 30 minutes we’re having a laugh about it. Plus, our relationships are very much banter-like; I won’t let it down if I have killed his character. 😭😂

This.

Now you've worded the thread in the way you meant it to be and not "I have feelings about it". Yeah, we've all CK'd friends or been CK'd by friends, but at the end of the day, we're friends. It's all in-character at the end of the day, and some people play the role to unfortunately come to an end of that character, but it shouldn't break friendships. And if it does? Wasn't a good friendship in the first place.

I mean, feelings always do happen. You're human, you invest time and effort into your character so if you get sad or angry or whatever of what happens to your character? That's fine. Do you use those emotions to direct what you do next with your new character or the character you had? That's not fine. There's a reason we have rules and a reason why we follow them.

The idea that bad or good roleplayers exist is just wrong, it is elitist. You were "bad" once too but you learned, people showed you the ropes and invested their time in you so shutting others down by shouting "Omg bad rper bad rper haha u show emotions" is hypocritical at best.

People self-insert or make things up for their characters all the times because making a complete character from scratch with a written childhood, teenage, their needs, dreams, bad things and everything that makes a person is impossible. Not to mention their friends, parents and so on.

Well... I'd tend to agree with @GambloTwitch there. 

"Not feeling anything about anything" isn't the mark of a good roleplayer, just like not feeling anything while watching a movie isn't the mark of a good movie critic. Works of writing are supposed and designed to make us feel something. 

It can be a jolt of adrenaline and fun for a dumb fun action movie, or "them feels" for a heart wrenching deep movie with death and shit. RP isn't somehow different because you're the one who happens to play the character 😛 And to take the closest comparison possible, having done my fair share of theater, I can tell you the ABSOLUTE BEST actors are those who can really take in and feel their character's emotions, and also feed in their own. BUT...

=> While respecting the character. And in the end it's where I tend to agree with Gamblo here. A good RP'er isn't someone who's on weird pills preventing them from having any emotion about the scene. It's someone who can create an RP that engages them (emotionally or otherwise), but who remains true to the character. Like, I got in a situation a while ago where OOC'ly, I knew my char was walking into a trap and was gonna get CK'd. It was the end of a crazy cool and strong revenge scenario that lasted for months. Personally, I didn't want my dude to be executed on a parking lot 😛 I still went for it regardless. A story doesn't have to end "well" to be a good one. 

At the end of the day, the people who managed to kill him thought it was good RP all throughout, I also thought that. But they also had a wide range of emotions over it, so did I. I don't know about everyone else, but those are the scenes and stories I tend to remember ^^' The stuff that made me feel nothing, like tending a 24/7... well, honestly I can't remember most of it. 

Edited by Topinambour
  • Upvote 2

I think people get too attached to one character.  All good stories have a beginning and end, and so should characters.  I have sometimes pondered the idea of scripted age automatically going up at some interval and eventually leading to an auto CK, with asset wipe (died of old age).  Wouldn't ever happen of course because people want to be 21 forever and they are stuck in their ways of "how things have always worked", but it would probably make CKs a bit less OOC drama inducing and solve some other issues too (stockpiling of properties, weapons and the endless farming of money, because it's all temporary).

• Wuhtah locked this topic