Observations and/or Questions from a FiveRPer

25 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

To give a "newbie" perspective, I'd love to make an alt, but the idea I have in mind isn't a hobo so I'd need some money to start off... And I legit cbf to grind the initial required cash, so I just didn't do it at all. =/ 

This is exactly what I mean. These kind of limitations limit creativity. And when players aren't allowed to be creative, they become frustrated. Personally, I created a fourth character without knowing that I wouldn't be getting the additional $5,000 an hour. I probably wouldn't have created the character had I known that I wouldn't get the additional paycheck. Regardless, I've managed to grind about $25,000 in like ~3 hours. It's not ideal, but there's really not much of a choice when your character is under 20 years old and thus can't work as a bartender, isn't suitable for manual labor, and cannot join any of the legal factions. So, delivering goods it is, even though that alone is quite destructive to the character's development.

1 hour ago, Topinambour said:

To give a "newbie" perspective, I'd love to make an alt, but the idea I have in mind isn't a hobo so I'd need some money to start off... And I legit cbf to grind the initial required cash, so I just didn't do it at all. =/ 

You can always request to transfer some resources/money :P.

2 hours ago, Pascal said:

If it is close to impossible to do now, can the 5k paychecks be brought back for new characters? It doesn't make sense that new characters should be delayed getting into RP compared to the first ones.

I'll forward this and see what we can do.

• Applaud 1
2 hours ago, Topinambour said:

thus reducing the diversity in characters on the server

hope kota's referral of this will go somewhere, i enjoy rping on alts but if they can easily track if assets are being transferred i don't understand why the 5k checks shouldn't make a return

38 minutes ago, Kota said:

admittedly i used to do this but i think it'd be better to treat all characters as independent individuals instead of having some sort of monetary link, even if it's just ooc it still feels wrong, as long as staff keep an eye on overly suspicious asset transferring (which is a matter i still think is controversial regarding punishments) then the 40 5k checks should be problem-free

49 minutes ago, Kota said:

I could, but I already don't have money on my main char :p I don't like to grind :(

Anyway, thanks a lot for forwarding it, it could really help a lot and make it less tedious =) Appreciate it!

Aquila pretty much explained it. Really I'd rather that people just be allowed to set it lower if they want to. I'd rather do $25 to $50 for mine. .IC I try to not inflate the prices beyond belief. The reason why liquor and beer is the way it is is that these are scripted items that have effects. It's not much different than being expected to pay out for drugs which are different from the realistic prices just like fiverp's were in that regard. Its never made sense to me that people will flip shit over things like $12 tacos (Which are comparable to the 24/7 ones) but are perfectly fine spending $500 on cocaine or $200 on weed. It's a half acceptance of the money value and it ends up impacting IC. If you're not running a popular business type you can end up running at a loss pretty easily. If I didn't have illegal sales to fall back on I'd be broke. 

FiveRP's money  values I did prefer to these ones. It was more viable there to keep a low price on a product. 

One thing I do feel needs to be adjusted is the ad cost again. The amount you can spam the ad back to back should just become something that goes under common courtesy or a cooldown that happens after posting the ad repeatedly that grows. Increasing the money doesn't resolve the problem. 

5 minutes ago, Orcaninja said:

Aquila pretty much explained it. Really I'd rather that people just be allowed to set it lower if they want to. I'd rather do $25 to $50 for mine. .IC I try to not inflate the prices beyond belief. The reason why liquor and beer is the way it is is that these are scripted items that have effects. It's not much different than being expected to pay out for drugs which are different from the realistic prices just like fiverp's were in that regard. Its never made sense to me that people will flip shit over things like $12 tacos (Which are comparable to the 24/7 ones) but are perfectly fine spending $500 on cocaine or $200 on weed. It's a half acceptance of the money value and it ends up impacting IC. If you're not running a popular business type you can end up running at a loss pretty easily. If I didn't have illegal sales to fall back on I'd be broke. 

FiveRP's money  values I did prefer to these ones. It was more viable there to keep a low price on a product. 

One thing I do feel needs to be adjusted is the ad cost again. The amount you can spam the ad back to back should just become something that goes under common courtesy or a cooldown that happens after posting the ad repeatedly that grows. Increasing the money doesn't resolve the problem. 

it's difficult to create a balance between items in game, especially when what began as an economy that was comparable to real life was affected by inflation and led to mining licenses costing 10-30k or vehicles costing $300k+ when they shouldn't

at some point you realise it's fine for it to not match real life but when the prices of items don't represent a clear balance between them in a fictional economy it all starts to become messy when you equate it to how much you can possibly earn on average

One of the more dangerous implications of this system isn't the limitations at the bottom, but rather the sorts of people who tend to rise to the top.

In other words, we take a position that grinding isn't the answer, but the sorts of individuals who rise to the top the quickest, buy up businesses, etc. will in fact be those who are willing and able to grind their asses off to make that extra cash. In some instances, these individuals will even be setting the tone for the RP that happens on the server as they'll be deciding who to hire, who to knock off (for illegal orgs), et cetera. Are these really the people we want setting the standard?

It's difficult to find a balance when the server seems to take two opposing positions at once:

"If you work, you get more goodies" versus "grinding is bad."

Now, the other option is equally unpalatable; if the amount of grinding isn't deciding who is successful, then it's an administrator deciding whose roleplay is superior to someone else's. There is not, and never will be, an objective measure to decide this - and accusations of bias will become much more commonplace (and who's to say if they're true or not?)

So what's the solution? No idea - but maybe we can find one by thinking outside this box we've put ourselves in.