Standing Your Ground w/ the gun draw anims, when is it fair to do it?

liq

4 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Is it worth it to get shot over your wallet? Probably not.

Is it worth it to murder someone over their wallet and probably get caught or shot up by other civilians and the police? Is it realistic to do all that on top of being a 15 year old kid? 

Probably not. This server's issue is that it punishes Scenario 1 but doesn't punish Scenario 2. If civilians get CKed for fighting back, then criminals should be CKed in the same situation, and if they do murder someone that 20 day joke of a sentence should be way longer.

20 days is a considerable amount of time dude. this is a game. 

• Applaud 1
6 hours ago, Trupiano said:

I'm not saying park cops on empty streets to "fill them", but my mind immediately goes to the Rockford station. From what I understand, officially it closed because of some bugs but speaking with some friends in LEO factions a very large reason for closing it was also the fact that people found it boring compared to the excitement of being able to patrol the entire city or the calls they might get from say Mission Row. Having run a business in the area before, during and after there was a distinct difference in the amount of officers patrolling the area when the station was open. 

If the police don't or won't do this, then nobody's going to force them, in the same way nobody's forced to RP their full prison sentence. In any case, that would be a solution for Rockford (for example) but it doesn't solve the overall issue, which is that the people doing questionable robberies would just find other spots. It's not like the area around Mission Row isn't the scene of multiple shootings a week as it is.

Another big point is, I'm 99% sure this isn't allowed and a lot of the times when I see people complaining bad robberies they are complaining about robberies that are clearly against the rules. Now to me, the first logical solution is to crack down on the quality of those robberies before we start jumping to change major aspects of the server.

All the reports I've seen where there's streamables of robberies that work this way rarely have Admin input on the actual robbery itself. There is currently, at least from my perception from reading through the forums and seeing the types of robberies people get away with, no real clear set of guidelines on what is a bad robbery, and it seems like scenes like my example are fully accepted (within context, naturally). We often complain about robberies that aren't necessarily against the rules but still feel just ridiculous.

Meeting bad RP with more bad RP is not going to "solve" this issue either, unless (And this is the mentality I see a lot) solving the issue just means leveling the playing field without taking things like "What would my character actually do?" into account and leads to the aids situations of having club going cat girls turn into female John Wicks the minute they find themselves in a bad situation. 

This can easily be turned into an IC argument then, in the same way you proposed before. Why is the Police Department's Firearms Licensing Division issuing guns to people who then prove to break CCW/PF regulations by carrying while drunk and who make unreasonable displays of deadly force to begin with (and also wear cat ears unironically which is a felony in spirit)?

This discussion, in the same vein that always comes up with this topic is the nuclear option. It won't make the server better, it won't solve the issues people say it will, it'll only devolve the server into more violence, more killing and more bad RP. I'm all for addressing the issue, but frankly peoples reasonings for wanting this are pretty clear. No matter how many reasons I see brought up, it always boils down to "They get to shoot me, I should get to shoot them" with absolutely no consideration for if it makes sense for their character. That's an MMORPG mentality, not a heavy RP one.

Finally, yes, I agree, it won't make the server better, but the problem right now is that there's a clear disparity between victims and perpetrators, in which there's an OOC fear of a CK if you're even considering the possibility of defending yourself, regardless of background. This is what doesn't sit well with most people because it's just very frustrating, especially when the perception of the lesbian sports car drivers in cat ears is that they risk a CK when the 15 year old 6'4 gangbanger from Davis has probably been shot dead 16 times this week.

I personally think it's a very harsh ruling considering how the whole concept of "fear RP" isn't always a clear cut, objective case, and not all characters are either a mallrat or a gangbanger, and there's a spectrum in between that leads to different experiences and reactions and you might just find yourself instinctively pulling the gun you have because it's your reaction in the moment, and one side here is threatened with the OOC possibility of losing their character forever due to an error in judgement in the moment, unless they opt for always accepting their fate as victims, making CCWs pretty much pointless for all the use you might get from them when it really matters and you think twice because of OOC factors.

As is often the case, I personally think that there's likely a good middle ground somewhere between the positions "civilians should be free to retaliate against robbers with full force regardless of circumstances" and "the notion itself of a civilian using a gun for self-defense is bad roleplay".

Edited by Koko
7 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Because when someone murders you for your wallet they get a joke of a prison sentence

True but to be fair... auto-CK for civilians defending themselves isn't a rule, it was just a pretty ridiculous proposal so I'm not sure there is much point debating it 😛

The question is more along the lines of "What can a civilian do to defend themselves WITHOUT being OOC'ly banned by an admin? Should it be changed?". 

@KinnyWynny's post is pretty interesting because it's actually documented, and it does show that civilians pulling a gun during an agression of any kind is really really uncommon. 

That said, robberies of the kind we get on GTAW are also really really of an uncommon kind... You can get robbed a dozen times a week, in broad daylight, at times when there's no cops online, and in huge boulevards that should be full of people ^^' And while civilians rarely retaliate if the robbers are after a wallet, they do retaliate more if their life is at risk. And as it turns out, robbers on GTAW tend to be very (unrealistically) trigger-happy.

So, some kind of better balance than "If you don't comply all the time while crying then it's not good fear RP: ban!", or "guns for everyone, shoot back, time to be the justiceman!" could be found. 

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic