Short description: Speed radar

Detailed description: Would be wonderful to have a new speed-radar system. 

Commands to add: /radar [on/off] [Speed Limit]

Items to add: N/a

How would your suggestion improve the server?: Our system is pretty out-dated and bad. We need to be able to see the plates, as modern law enforcement vehicles are equipped with plate scanners - Automatic number-plate recognition (ANPR) - so when a vehicle would run through the radar, we'd have a plate. 

Also, none of that /radar [DISTANCE] [Speed Limit] - no distance, it hardly works. Instead, once the radar is activate, it'd cover 40-50 meter radios (covering the 3-4 lane-highway. So each vehicle that'd drive infront of us, would get caught speeding with its plate showing.

[Speed Radar: Vehicle going 95 - Licenses plates: COP205]

Additionnal information: None

Edited by Karl_Hoover
  • Upvote 1

Only if there are methods to tape over your licenseplate. However, blocking your licenseplates should have very serious consequences, and must require you to physically get out and walk to the back of the vehicle, do a command, and have duck tape on your person or something.

Otherwise I like it.

Just now, EliH said:

Only if there are methods to tape over your licenseplate. However, blocking your licenseplates should have very serious consequences, and must require you to physically get out and walk to the back of the vehicle, do a command, and have duck tape on your person or something.

Otherwise I like it.

Agreed, IRL people find creative ways to cover their license plates: 

And when they get caught they face large fines, if that is incorporated with this system that'd be perfectly fine. Now if the license plate is hidden is it easy to tell with the car right in front of you or how would that work? Is it possible that if the license plate is covered it'd just have black paint all over it or something? 

Just now, Karl_Hoover said:

I don't mind having that system, which wouldn't let us read the plate on radar - but it'd be a huge serious jail time and vehicle impounding for 3 days. Than I'm good with it, harsh punishment for this advantage. 

I think this depends on how many times the player has done this before, if it's just once it should be a fine, and after that you can start impounding the vehicle etc. 

Just now, James Mustaine said:

Agreed, IRL people find creative ways to cover their license plates: 

And when they get caught they face large fines, if that is incorporated with this system that'd be perfectly fine. Now if the license plate is hidden is it easy to tell with the car right in front of you or how would that work? Is it possible that if the license plate is covered it'd just have black paint all over it or something? 

Yeah should be some way to easily identify a covered licenseplate just by looking at it.

I agree with the need for a new radar system, a much more dynamic system that isn't statically placed with a command.

That being said, I think making  the radar having ANPR builtin and being able to read plates is a terrible idea. First off with it not being realistic in the slightest. Radar systems don't show the plates, Especially if the plate isn't even in view in the first place. And besides, you can easily go first person and read the plates just fine. No law enforcement agencies have a magical gun that can read the plate of a vehicle when the plate isn't even in view.

If it's going to have ANPR "built" into it, It needs to be realistic.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Harden

No one said anything about speed gun, speed radar with in the car and usage of plate reader - combined. First message could be: 

Speed radar: Vehicle speed  [98]

ANRP: COP205

We could also add a STOLEN VEHICLE on MDC maybe , and put the licenses plates of vehicles that were reported stolen and use the ALPR system to scan.

11 minutes ago, Karl_Hoover said:

No one said anything about speed gun, speed radar with in the car and usage of plate reader - combined. First message could be: 

Speed radar: Vehicle speed  [98]

ANRP: COP205

We could also add a STOLEN VEHICLE on MDC maybe , and put the licenses plates of vehicles that were reported stolen and use the ALPR system to scan.

I never said there was a speed gun either. I know exactly what you're talking about when it comes to the radar system. But my issue with the ANPR system is that you won't always have a clear view of the plates on the back. So how would it be fair to read plates that you couldn't even see in the first place? The amount of resources it would take server side to check the heading of  the vehicle vs the heading of your vehicle and determine if you can actually see the plate or not would be outrageous. And it wouldn't be fair for the ANPR to read the plate of a vehicle coming towards you when it's not even showing the plate yet.

I completely agree with the MDC functions as well. My only concern is proper usage of the ANPR system because it could get out of hand quickly and give the PD/SD an even bigger upper hand. I work with speed radars and ANPR systems personally, You don't need to try and explain them to me. I'm just worried that they could become too overpowered. Especially with there already being no AI traffic, It is easy to spot APB BOLO's and such if you pay attention.

Edited by Harden