Revive the alternative burglary script

mj2002

Detailed Description

This has been brought up a few times, and I believe it partially made it into certain server scripts, perhaps if only as a mention. When performing a burglary either the engaging playing or the handling admin could determine whether the burglary is aimed at a property's actual inventory, or at robbing a property for scripted custom items. For example, consumer electronics, small amounts of cash, household items, etcetera.

In short, the idea would be, instead of performing a burglary for the /pinv (mostly aimed at weapons and drugs), a burglary variation would be aimed at more traditional targets, TVs, etc.

Relevant Commands/Items

So this is tricky. What sort of items and what value would they represent? Ideally, I see it working as follows. If a property has a default interior, a script could generate a random set of items that can be given out by administrators to burglars upon a successful burglary. The value would be tied to the interior type, a little more value for fancy interiors, a little less for cheap or basic interiors. This is pretty straight forward.

For custom interiors, they could be tied to the furniture that is available. In essence, randomly generating custom items for a select number of mapped furniture items. In this way, burglars can actually steal items that are visibly present, although the mapping remains unchanged. This is less straight forward, because it is difficult to determine which mapped items would be candidate for being represented as a generic item.

Alternatively, the script could look at the furniture value and generate some items based on that. This introduces additional issues, for example when a property being broken into isn't a residence. The script won't know the difference, and generates a TV for a property that may not even have anything close to a TV in it. That would be awkward.

As a final resort, an admin could simply create custom items on the fly, but this creates a lot of extra work and additional concerns and overhead.

How will it benefit the server?

• More immersive burglaries
  • A lower or near-zero chance of breaking into a property that has nothing of value

This idea has been brought up before and was denied back then, but I think circumstances may have changed.

This also goes well together with the following concepts, perhaps to be introduced as a larger "burglary" update;

• Alert private security companies instead of police

I think the easiest way would be to give the burglars some generic inventory part (similar to Car part) that's called something like Appliance x1 or Electronics x1. Then they can proceed to sell that at pawn shops, hardware stores, electronic stores that are interested. Then script a new command for the business owners/employees to sell/scrap the Appliance/Electronics part for cash (so they can make a profit after buying it). Why? Because no one buys microwaves, coffee machines, TVs, laptops, and shit like that. It can be role played as being sold online or to an NPC. You would just need an item and a few commands scripted.

A low-income to regular household should yield burglars a profit of at least around a few thousand. Better/bigger/richer households can do more (so an extra few items). Having an item on you or your property also gives a leeway to investigate stolen goods.

Criminals complete a burglary of a small apartment and are given Appliance x1 (could be role played as whatever).

They go and sell the item at a business and negotiate something between 2500-3500.

Business owner/employee types a command that sells the item for a set price that's always randomized between 4000-5000.

That way there's a little profit incentive but not too much to become super rich off of stolen appliances/electronics (unless a lot).

Edited by Gecko

I see some positives and negatives from this suggestion, and I'm more in favor of the idea of having generalized items such as appliance and electronics. My first concern is how this would work in businesses, it would be pretty difficult to code a script that could identify what the business is when its comes to custom businesses. My second concern is that we get a lot of breakin requests already, while increasing the worth of items they could receive, especially if the inventory is somewhat empty is more realistic, I fear that buffing it per say, could lead to a new meta and getting a large surge in them due to this.

All in all I think this is a good suggestion but I'm not sure its the right solution yet, and yeah, the alarms are very strong currently.

Upon further thought, I'm wondering if this would be more suited to have as an entire script thing with a limitation, such as being able to break into a property once per week, having to search through places which would take time scriptly and only be able to receive the script items spawned in, there are still concerns with this however, such as there being too many of them happening, and them being unsupervised which could lead to poor character portrayal.

Edited by Viscaria
  • Wuhtah locked this topic