Multiple shop scripts for the same business

Mahitto

Detailed Description

The ability to select two types of scripts for the same businesses and create multi-purpose businesses. These would have to be approved through the regular process and would have to make sense from an IC perspective - for example, a vehicle dealership with a small cafe on the side, a nightclub that also serves food downstairs/during the day, a cinema that doubles as a merch store for their movies or has a bar. 

Relevant Commands/Items

Nothing to my knowledge, but the application process would have to be changed. 

How will it benefit the server?

We'd see more unique businesses and we'd also see give mainstream businesses the ability to create niche RP.

I feel this would be unbalanced. Instead, businesses that want to diversify could be setting up receiving from other businesses. It discourages an aspect of RP that is already neglected. The need to work with others. So for example, I know a club that gives lolipops to people. They get some occasional shipping of said lolipops from a candy shop, fairly niche business. If the club could just outright set up a candy shop in their night club it isn't encouraging anyone to visit the niche business they're instead going to be encouraged to visit. You can argue it is a different atmosphere but at the end of the day, it is very clear what types of businesses flourish on the server. A dealership selling food isn't needed, they could just do catering with another group. With that being said, catering itself needs more scripted support. In the past I've seen/had to do that in advance.

Point being though, I don't feel like giving businesses less reason to go outside of their circle as a good thing. 

Edited by Momo's Revenge
48 minutes ago, Momo's Revenge said:

I feel this would be unbalanced. Instead, businesses that want to diversify could be setting up receiving from other businesses. It discourages an aspect of RP that is already neglected. The need to work with others. So for example, I know a club that gives lolipops to people. They get some occasional shipping of said lolipops from a candy shop, fairly niche business. If the club could just outright set up a candy shop in their night club it isn't encouraging anyone to visit the niche business they're instead going to be encouraged to visit. You can argue it is a different atmosphere but at the end of the day, it is very clear what types of businesses flourish on the server. A dealership selling food isn't needed, they could just do catering with another group. With that being said, catering itself needs more scripted support. In the past I've seen/had to do that in advance.

Point being though, I don't feel like giving businesses less reason to go outside of their circle as a good thing. 

I really don't think this is such a big issue though. After all, if a business chooses to go for two scripts, then both business ideas have to work together and be realistic. In your example, the owner of a nightclub should have no business manufacturing artisanal candy, unless the whole business concept revolves around that idea, in which case it would simply allow them to do what they would realistically be allowed to. The only issue with this is that many businesses would realistically be able to do more than one single thing but they can't due to script limitation.

Businesses don't collaborate that much as is. There's no one stopping businesses from actually establishing such partnerships, but they usually aren't viable, especially since if you're looking to involve another business in your business' opening, you now have to schedule two groups of people to be online at the same time. Point being, it's already possible to do it and barely anyone does it. We have proof that such hoops don't fix anything - they simply deter people from even trying.

And still, such a dual script would allow for more freedom, creativity and, in turn, bring us unique businesses. It's not worth supressing lots of unique ideas to save one or two - and if those one or two people would give up on that RP, they weren't doing it for the RP in the first place.

I would enjoy being able to create items from components that fit the store in question, despite not being a unique item store. I understand why it was initially not done, but I think there's plenty of businesses that provide a service and would also cross sell minor products (and perhaps already do) and give them the ability to hand players items that they purchase along with the service. 

+1, look into making it possible for shops without a unique item script to /createitem. Script abuse is already not allowed, put the responsibility on the owner of a shop and if there is abuse, take the business away.

• Wuhtah locked this topic