stupid drama

CertifiedKiller

Sometimes it fathoms me how people can get so heated over their virtual people on this server so much so that they actively go out of their way to insult and belittle people they don't like ICly OOCly - and although against the rules I've seen it happen in countless factions to which I won't say any names because I don't wish to have myself doxxed by someone who lives their life on GTA:W religiously. My main question is why? Why do people find their virtual people so precious? Is it worth getting potentially IRL charges over a fictional character? It's such a pity because I just wish we could all get along and have fun without being dishearten when the first bad thing happens to our virtual people. If I get killed ICly and lose 30 grams of drugs and a Tec I don't flame that other person OOCly or hold a grudge OOCly I just accept the loss and move on about my day. Why are some people like this?

• Applaud 3
6 minutes ago, CertifiedKiller said:

Sometimes it fathoms me how people can get so heated over their virtual people on this server so much so that they actively go out of their way to insult and belittle people they don't like ICly OOCly - and although against the rules I've seen it happen in countless factions to which I won't say any names because I don't wish to have myself doxxed by someone who lives their life on GTA:W religiously. My main question is why? Why do people find their virtual people so precious? Is it worth getting potentially IRL charges over a fictional character? It's such a pity because I just wish we could all get along and have fun without being dishearten when the first bad thing happens to our virtual people. If I get killed ICly and lose 30 grams of drugs and a Tec I don't flame that other person OOCly or hold a grudge OOCly I just accept the loss and move on about my day. Why are some people like this?

Have you heard of the human condition? 

22 minutes ago, CertifiedKiller said:

I always wondered the same thing but have an answer. 

In my most humble opinion,

It's because people don't have these things IRL, so when they come here to create something they are not in the real world, they hold it to a high value. 

It's also a flex. It's a flex to have a IG clout, a name for yourself, money, a well established faction etc etc. Also held to a high value because...well people don't have those things IRL either. People also dedicate a lot of time and effort into their character, factions, so ofc even though you really shouldn't - people develop real life emotions for them, especially when things don't go their way. In the gaming world, it's normal nature to have a play to win attitude. As you shouldn't in a RP environment, it's a natural thing people play video games for. To win. If you lost every video game you played, you wouldn't play them as much.

"Is it worth getting potentially IRL charges over a fictional character?"

People kill people IRL over less, it's not surprising. 

On another note, I like how GTA:W is transparent globally when things like this do happen. 

"If I get killed ICly and lose 30 grams of drugs and a Tec I don't flame that other person OOCly or hold a grudge OOCly I just accept the loss and move on about my day. Why are some people like this?"

Probably because it takes a handful of IC networking to get those items. 

Edited by Ronnie two poles
8 minutes ago, Ronnie two poles said:

I always wondered the same thing but have an answer. 

In my most humble opinion,

It's because people don't have these things IRL, so when they come here to create something they are not in the real world, they hold it to a high value. 

It's also a flex. It's a flex to have a IG clout, a name for yourself, money, a well established faction etc etc. Also held to a high value because...well people don't have those things IRL either. People also dedicate a lot of time and effort into their character, factions, so ofc even though you really shouldn't - people develop real life emotions for them, especially when things don't go their way. In the gaming world, it's normal nature to have a play to win attitude. As you shouldn't in a RP environment, it's a natural thing people play video games for. To win. If you lost every video game you played, you wouldn't play them as much.

"Is it worth getting potentially IRL charges over a fictional character?"

People kill people IRL over less, it's not surprising. 

On another note, I like how GTA:W is transparent globally when things like this do happen. 

"If I get killed ICly and lose 30 grams of drugs and a Tec I don't flame that other person OOCly or hold a grudge OOCly I just accept the loss and move on about my day. Why are some people like this?"

Probably because it takes a handful of IC networking to get those items. 

I swear people just set up closed circle OOC distribution networks for their friends...

You've got throngs of people who spend 5+ hours on the server nearly every single day. Whether people like to admit it or not because of how 'lame' it sounds, that makes the RP and the lives of their characters a big part of THEIR lives through time-investment alone. It's really not as crazy as it sounds for people to get a bit too invested, especially not these days since COVID made RP a replacement for a social life to a lot of people.

Doesn't make it right, obviously, but I do kind of see where they're coming from. GTAW and their status in it is just really important to them.

There's also the problem that the two elements GTA:W combines (Heavy text-based roleplay & GTA gameplay) don't really play that well together in this regard. Usually in heavy text-based roleplay if I'm having some kind of conflict with somebody, we're writing it out together and steering it towards a conclusion that we're both comfortable with, thus leading to better OOC relations between you and your enemy and a more reciprocal conflict where you're more willing to give each other some ground because there's a level of trust there. In GTA:W, if we're enemies, we end up being actual enemies because we're effectively playing a game against each other. If I get shot down I don't go 'oh wow my character just got shot in the story, this is getting intense', because in all likelihood I'm going to get executed while I'm down there and have to respawn and act like nothing happened, carrying the frustration of knowing I just lost at a game. When you use gameplay for conflict resolution, people naturally want to win and when they don't, it sucks.

There's obviously lots of good things that come from it too, but people have been getting pissed off at video-games for as long as they've existed and adding significance to the PC's being dropped by making them actual characters that lose things when they die (whether that be their actual lives, the last 30 or so minutes of RP or assets like guns/drugs) only gives people more reason to get upset over it.

• Upvote 2

As much as I don't mind this discussion going forward but the topic asks for nothing good. It will then trigger the other members of the community if they feel they are targeted by this.

Simple solution? Report them. Whether a forum report, private report to an admin that's willing to handle it or a faction report if it's more than one. We aren't going to tolerate toxic behavior and if they cannot determine the difference of an IC and OOC loss then they need some better roleplay lessons. No further comments need to be made on this specific topic, all we can do is continue enforcing the rules and keep reminding player's that common courtesy is still an existing rule and that we should treat everyone fairly.

• Upvote 3