Amendments to rule 4 (Deathmatching)

Amendments to rule 4 (Deathmatching)  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi there! 

Not here to argue your fun away, but it is definitely something that bothers me.

This is one of those days that something catches your attention after being put in a situation where complaints had been made by a party about insufficient roleplay in regards to injuries, while all they participated in was smashing their left mouse-button repeatedly during a fist-fight with little to no roleplay emotes whatsoever. Especially after instigating the so-called ''brawl'' in an open business, while being surrounded by a large number of other players that are trying to actually enjoy their time in our community, they suddenly get swung at without even having to be involved in said situation. Pretty annoying, right?

While I have no problem with brawls when they are for events such as martial arts, boxing, or involve illegal circles where beat-ups are required behind closed doors? Go right ahead. But when your character has an issue with another player's character inside a club, lounge, or restaurant and you instigate a brawl over properly roleplaying out the emotes to have a fair game for both parties rather than having 18 year-olds knock over someone twice his age, is sad and unfortunate to see on this community.

More depth, in regards of this particular situation... it was handled very well by the administrators, however, other than it being a petty reason to take the entire bar hands up there aren't any rules whatsoever to promote roleplay over scenarios like those and heavily kick down the roleplay standards I believe we would like to achieve. With that said, prohibiting ''brawls'' from happening in public areas would be ultimately the best solution, and at the very least have all parties involved to agree so they know in what kind of cluster-f*ck situation they will get themselves into. Personally, it is displeasing and uncomfortable to see everyone in the room running around while they swing about like a chicken without a head.

4) Deathmatching

Killing another player without or with poor reason (or roleplay) to do so. This also includes you provoking others, followed by performing aggressive actions such as shooting, fighting or killing and (or) the provoked party ending up dead.

• A character may only run over (ram) another player over if a character's life is at risk. This should not be done excessively
  • A fist-fight (brawl without roleplay emotes) may only take place if all parties involved give consent to such scenario. A fist-fight must be put in roleplay emotes at all times at crowded locations such as open businesses.

E.G.

• Shooting at a player because he is black and your character hates people from Afro American backgrounds.
  • Calling a player names for them to come after you so you can shoot them.
  • .Instigating a fist-fight with or without poor reason or roleplay to do so, without consent.
Edited by CobraEleven
  • Upvote 1

The current situation isn't great, but this isn't the solution either. This usually comes down to poor escalation and should be handled with a /report. If the escalation was not poor, then this just sometimes happens. Can it be annoying for those around? Sure, but sometimes fights just happen. Get your character out of the way and take the situation ICly. It might interrupt your roleplay, but things just don't always go as you may have planned ahead. Roll with it.

Edited by mj2002

Why are we always suggesting to lock RP behind consent perms? Brawls aren't like ERP or any other form of offensive RP. You can't just opt out of a brawl because you don't consent to it. How does that even work? Wouldn't it be powergaming to just simply decline consent to brawl when the RP escalated to it?

And yeah, Emoted fights are honestly kinda weird. I can already imagine two guys standing in a bar staring at each other for 5 minutes as they type out their punches, while everyone else in the bar just ignores it. Script fights aren't perfect, but I'd rather have that than emoted ones.

• Upvote 1

I love how everyone is comparing ERP to the brawls. 

I just so happen to be an expert at both, so allow me to state this;

1. Brawls have to be agree'd on OOCly. At least that is what I've gathered from my previous interactions with people. Even if that's not the case rule wise. You can simply ask the player politely in PM's to Rp the fight out rather than brawl. If the player just emotes /me swings at you and starts punching the living shit out of your character, by all means. Report them.

2. Brawls aren't always aggressive. I have been in situations multiple times where my character would see someone who's a friend.. But also a competitor, and exchange a few friendly blows. In public areas included. This is usually laughed off by the community; if anything increasing immersion / Roleplay. Imagine you're at a bar and someone has a fight, next thing you know they're drinking beers together again. The way people respond to this sort of behaviour is what immerses the community; sometimes we've been kicked out of clubs, sometimes the guards rolled their eyes at us and told us to behave.

3. RP fights are just annoying. Everyone wants to win, no one wants to loose, so they go on for ages, they get messy and usually end up with an admin having to void the situation, it's best of to have a brawl and just have a decisive winner / loser.

4. ERP should be allowed to be done in public spaces. Imagine a threeway in the middle of a night club-.. I'm joking btw pls no ban.