Minor characters and assets

HappyGecko

Maybe the IC punishment should be extended.

You get caught doing a drive-by in your car or use your own car for a buglary or what ever? Judge will decide wether you can keep it or loose it. And If your 'parents' own it RPly, then they will be very angry with you.
I'm not saying that I do criminal RP @HappyGecko BUT If I'd do, I'd steal a car. And If I'd manage getting a Rancher XL, stock condition, black colour, after a while to use for my buglaries (as it's spacey and maybe is sold for cheap) I'd ask for my plates to get removed and risk with loosing it incase I get caught while trying to evade with it.

I guess its up on every player to atleast try RPing it realistically. Most people just buy a car from the DS, RPing their parents owning it instead of Roleplaying the struggle, a young person in South Los Santos probably has. Use a bicycle. Steal a car to drive somewhere idk.

- And don't steal a Cheetah or some other high class vehicle with your 16 years old char who is very talented with a lockpick or a phone app. Steal an Emperor or something.

Edited by Corazon
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, eTaylor said:

Is that something you consider a problem? Should all minor characters be orphans? 

No but I do think that more minor characters should RP with the consideration that they have some form of family or legal tutors when it comes to other aspects of their lives other than borrowing their nicer car.

1 hour ago, eTaylor said:

Is that something you consider a problem? Should all minor characters be orphans? 

No, they should RP whatever characters they want but they shouldn't bring NPCs into RP which don't exist nor have any impact on their lives although, realistically speaking, would have a major impact on it.

If RPing your car as being your parents' and your house as being your parents' as well, that would make it acceptable to role-play every single asset I have as being my inexistent cousin's and call out powergaming whenever someone checks the MDC. If parents are allowed to exist as NPCs, why are there no NPCs around these same kids as they go out in a $100,000 G-Wagon, four deep with military-grade assault rifles to rob someone in the middle of Legion Square? Does that mean that they get to drive 150mph through town and park wherever they want without getting fined (because it'd be covered by the inexistent parents)? There's so much wrong with it.

1 hour ago, DLimit said:

Nothing wrong with 16 year-olds using their parents vehicle as long as the vehicle suits the backstory of themselves or their parents. 

It is, though, because that vehicle is in their name. If someone steals the car, it'll be traced back to the kid, not the parents. If it's picked up on a police radar or scan, it'll trace back to the kid. Same goes with properties. Underage characters shouldn't own any properties whatsoever. If they do share an apartment, business or vehicle, it should belong to an actual character that it can be traced back to and which can be held liable in case of anything. 

23 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

No, they should RP whatever characters they want but they shouldn't bring NPCs into RP which don't exist nor have any impact on their lives although, realistically speaking, would have a major impact on it.

If RPing your car as being your parents' and your house as being your parents' as well, that would make it acceptable to role-play every single asset I have as being my inexistent cousin's and call out powergaming whenever someone checks the MDC. If parents are allowed to exist as NPCs, why are there no NPCs around these same kids as they go out in a $100,000 G-Wagon, four deep with military-grade assault rifles to rob someone in the middle of Legion Square? Does that mean that they get to drive 150mph through town and park wherever they want without getting fined (because it'd be covered by the inexistent parents)? There's so much wrong with it.

It is, though, because that vehicle is in their name. If someone steals the car, it'll be traced back to the kid, not the parents. If it's picked up on a police radar or scan, it'll trace back to the kid. Same goes with properties. Underage characters shouldn't own any properties whatsoever. If they do share an apartment, business or vehicle, it should belong to an actual character that it can be traced back to and which can be held liable in case of anything. 

RP > Script.

It isn't mindblowingly challenging to think "Hmm, the person's a minor. Thus, it'd more than likely be owned by their parents".

Don't need to overcomplicate a simple solution to this problem.

EDIT: Wouldn't be powergaming, either. If you are RPing that your parents own the house, then they'd still search the same household as the child would legally be under their parents' custody.

Edited by DLimit
2 minutes ago, DLimit said:

RP > Script.

It isn't mindblowingly challenging to think "Hmm, the person's a minor. Thus, it'd more than likely be owned by their parents".

Don't need to overcomplicate a simple solution to this problem.

That just opens up the possibility to heavy abuse (which is already happening and being complained about, hence this topic). Characters shouldn't be NPCed, especially when they have an impact on not only your role-play but that of others as well.

2 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

That just opens up the possibility to heavy abuse (which is already happening and being complained about, hence this topic). Characters shouldn't be NPCed, especially when they have an impact on not only your role-play but that of others as well.

The topics mentioning teens riding expensive vehicles and owning 16 cars. That's poor portrayal. 

But, for a minor to have access for a cheap family van? Shouldn't be a problem, at all.

Vehicles can still get towed and repossessed if the minor infringes a Law that results in such methods. The minor has zero real advantage by RPing that it is a parents' vehicle. 

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic