Minor characters and assets

HappyGecko

4 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

I still believe that minor characters shouldn't own anything, and they should only be allowed to live in a house/apartment and drive a vehicle if it belongs to an actual player who can be held liable and be interacted with.

If it weren't a double standard, it would be a very valid excuse. If you can role-play your 14-year-old driving their parents' Asterope, why can't you role-play a 14-year-old driving their dad's fully kitted Pariah to the dad's helicopter so they can fly to their dad's mansion? Why are you allowed to only role-play dirt poor parents and not highly successful parents? That's the problem with this.

Why would highly successful parents be living in the projects? Doesn't happen, ninety-nine percent of the time.

1 minute ago, DLimit said:

Why would highly successful parents be living in the projects? Doesn't happen, ninety-nine percent of the time.

That was an example, but there are justifications - I don't mean the "CEO-of-Amazon" kind of success, but rather a renowned pimp, drug lord or a super rich. People from such backgrounds are known to not be wise when spending their money, often wasting lots of it on useless stuff (cars, champagne, parties, clothes etc.). That doesn't mean it'd be an acceptable thing to do. And nor is having a 14-year-old drive any car or own any house.

That's why I am against NPCing inherited wealth, especially if it's not just NPCed (a 60-year-old having accumulated some money, which makes some sense) but rather belongs to an NPC (someone using non-existent money earned by a non-existent character).

I don't even know why this is a thread. The most obvious answer is to just use common sense.

If some random teenage gang char is driving around in a beat up mini van, scriptly has a house where ever they'd realistically live and they say that their NPC'd family owns them, then it's fine. If they're using that vehicle to commit a crime, unless it's not some dastardly shit like straight up robbing a store or shooting up a bunch of people, then that's also whatever. Most gang members have terribly dysfunctional households, I won't really bat an eye if a teenage criminal is RP'ing having negligent parents that he stole the car keys from.

Beyond that though, then yes, anybody can obviously see that it's dumb as fuck. 

On 11/26/2021 at 10:06 AM, Mahitto said:

That was an example, but there are justifications - I don't mean the "CEO-of-Amazon" kind of success, but rather a renowned pimp, drug lord or a super rich. People from such backgrounds are known to not be wise when spending their money, often wasting lots of it on useless stuff (cars, champagne, parties, clothes etc.). That doesn't mean it'd be an acceptable thing to do. And nor is having a 14-year-old drive any car or own any house.

You're describing somebody that could be considered "hood rich". The thing is, unless they're some kind of God when it comes to finances, they don't have any means to turn their physical cash into credit. In most cases, you need credit to legally buy a car or a house. Most hood rich dudes that made their money through illegal means spend their money poorly because that's practically all they can really do when they just have physical cash. They can't invest their cash and make long term plans with it, at best they can invest more into whatever criminal schemes they've been relying on. It's why in some cases, characters can get away with having pricey shoes or clothes that someone of their background usually couldn't afford but if anybody whips out a sports car, they're promptly shit on.

On 11/26/2021 at 4:06 PM, Mahitto said:

That's why I am against NPCing inherited wealth, especially if it's not just NPCed (a 60-year-old having accumulated some money, which makes some sense) but rather belongs to an NPC (someone using non-existent money earned by a non-existent character).

NPCs can’t own property, and you can’t NPC money. What’re you on about? 

2 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

NPCs can’t own property, and you can’t NPC money. What’re you on about? 

Were talking about people role-playing underage characters and having assets that belong to their IC parents, who don't exist. NPCs can't own property, exactly my point. 

Just now, Mahitto said:

Were talking about people role-playing underage characters and having assets that belong to their IC parents, who don't exist. NPCs can't own property, exactly my point. 

And they don’t, the player owns the property. The player remains responsible, just because the player has a background PDF or vaguely mentions family doesn’t mean they’re suddenly void of all responsibility. It’s a courtesy thing.   

1 hour ago, Nega said:

So if im playing a minor char I can't RP that my NPC'd parents have the assets but I also can't RP that my minor char has assets himself? 

You own everything on your character, except when you sell/tell the story that your parents are X, Y and Z it’s courteous to just go along with that, especially when it’s convincing. That’s indicative of roleplay, no matter your style most of us are telling a story with parts that are entirely made up or otherwise exist to support a premise. When dealing with the police for example, most will go along with parental stories within reason because you’re basically an asshole if you don’t. Especially when someone is trying to tell a genuine story. It’s kind of an unwritten contract between players, it’s accepted because it’s the just thing to do. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic