Minor characters and assets

HappyGecko

19 hours ago, HappyGecko said:

Does the same problem exist with non minor chars who use their wealth to commit crimes that make no sense for their char? Sure. But just yesterday we arrested 4 minors. 1 of them was 12 years old, yes 12 and he possessed a driver's license and 4 expensive vehicles. His 3 other friends who also were below 16 all owned 2-4 vehicles. I could give you a new example probably every day and before anyone says "rpqm them" I'd have to fill out 3 reports every day and that's not fun. Again if you wanna portrait a teenage gang character then make sure you portrait it as should be. Even if it means getting caught in your shitty car.

The truth is that it happens way too often and it's always made out to be the exception. RPQM reports won't do much - these people aren't here to portray a realistic character in the first place, it's not like they didn't know a 12-year-old shouldn't own and drive half a million dollars worth of vehicles - a chat won't do anything. Even if you do report them, by the time the report gets handled that character will have been long gone, CKed, the faction closed and the player would had left the server a long time ago. Do that for all of them and all you're doing is create an unnecessary strain on RPQM through petty investigations with obvious answers.

10 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

The truth is that it happens way too often and it's always made out to be the exception. RPQM reports won't do much - these people aren't here to portray a realistic character in the first place, it's not like they didn't know a 12-year-old shouldn't own and drive half a million dollars worth of vehicles - a chat won't do anything. Even if you do report them, by the time the report gets handled that character will have been long gone, CKed, the faction closed and the player would had left the server a long time ago. Do that for all of them and all you're doing is create an unnecessary strain on RPQM through petty investigations with obvious answers.

Well shit I guess we should just remove the ability to have a minor character all together then don't we?

4 hours ago, eTaylor said:

And what do you roleplay yourself?

That's irrelevant. Minor characters being used for trolling or being abused is a well-known wide-spread issue on GTA World. I'm not saying that all of them are, I'm saying that lots of them are.

I've seen minor characters that are actually really well developed and follow great concepts. The Mountain MMA Gym's owner, Garbon, has someone RP as his son who's manning the gym and from my short interaction with him, actually feels like a family business/real child. There are plenty of examples of people doing it properly, but there are way more examples of people abusing the system.

If anything, under-18 characters should be locked behind a separate application. There aren't that many anyway and if someone's really looking to troll or abuse as an under-18 characters, they'd both have another hoop to go through (which would filter out most of them) and wouldn't be allowed to have an under-18 character if caught (which would filter out the rest of them). It could be a short application handled in a similar way and through the similar system as server applications. One easy way to stop people from abusing under-18 characters while still allowing serious role-players to do so. 

9 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

If anything, under-18 characters should be locked behind a separate application

This would cause every single member of the criminal community to leave forever, and then what would we do? The server would die.

I'm not saying this seriously, but it's been the regular and honest response from others whenever something like this, including this, has been suggested before.

Edited by DasFroggy
3 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

This would cause every single member of the criminal community to leave forever, and then what would we do? The server would die.

I'm not saying this seriously, but it's been the regular and honest response from others whenever something like this, including this, has been suggested before.

I don't think it's that big of a deal? It is a special character after all, it only makes sense that we should be required to put a more effort into creating one. I'm not saying that we should write a 10,000 word essay on why we deserve an underage character - think of 5 basic questions, 30-40 words each answer, so that the server staff can have an idea on our plans (as well as restrict people from creating them if they abuse the sytem).

If someone can't answer a few basic characters on why an underage character is necessary to their RP and how they're going to portray it, I'd be concerned about what their ultimate goal is here.

1 hour ago, DasFroggy said:

I'm a bit confused. Most people around here are complaining that there are too many minor characters, especially among illegal factions, which is a problem. I don't see how them leaving is a threat ^^'' 

1 hour ago, Mahitto said:

That's irrelevant. Minor characters being used for trolling or being abused is a well-known wide-spread issue on GTA World. I'm not saying that all of them are, I'm saying that lots of them are.

I've seen minor characters that are actually really well developed and follow great concepts. The Mountain MMA Gym's owner, Garbon, has someone RP as his son who's manning the gym and from my short interaction with him, actually feels like a family business/real child. There are plenty of examples of people doing it properly, but there are way more examples of people abusing the system.

If anything, under-18 characters should be locked behind a separate application. There aren't that many anyway and if someone's really looking to troll or abuse as an under-18 characters, they'd both have another hoop to go through (which would filter out most of them) and wouldn't be allowed to have an under-18 character if caught (which would filter out the rest of them). It could be a short application handled in a similar way and through the similar system as server applications. One easy way to stop people from abusing under-18 characters while still allowing serious role-players to do so. 

It’s not irrelevant because everything you’ve said is applicable to every single facet of roleplay on this server. Everything you experience it anecdotal and your perception is limited to the realms you exist in.

If anything, media characters should be locked behind a separate application. There aren't that many anyway and if someone's really looking to troll or abuse as media characters, they'd both have another hoop to go through (which would filter out most of them) and wouldn't be allowed to have an under-18 character if caught (which would filter out the rest of them). It could be a short application handled in a similar way and through the similar system as server applications. One easy way to stop people from abusing media characters while still allowing serious role-players to do so. Furthermore, security characters should be locked behind a separate application. There aren't that many anyway and if someone's really looking to troll or abuse as security characters, they'd both have another hoop to go through (which would filter out most of them) and wouldn't be allowed to have a security character if caught (which would filter out the rest of them). It could be a short application handled in a similar way and through the similar system as server applications. One easy way to stop people from abusing security characters while still allowing serious role-players to do so. And female characters should be locked behind a separate application. There aren't that many anyway and if someone's really looking to troll or abuse as a female characters, they'd both have another hoop to go through (which would filter out most of them) and wouldn't be allowed to have an under-18 character if caught (which would filter out the rest of them). It could be a short application handled in a similar way and through the similar system as server applications. One easy way to stop people from abusing female characters while still allowing serious role-players to do so. Not to forget that civilian characters should be locked behind a separate application. There aren't that many anyway and if someone's really looking to troll or abuse as a civilian character, they'd both have another hoop to go through (which would filter out most of them) and wouldn't be allowed to have a civilian character if caught (which would filter out the rest of them). It could be a short application handled in a similar way and through the similar system as server applications. One easy way to stop people from abusing civilian characters while still allowing serious role-players to do so. 

The core of your suggestion and position is to damage illegal roleplay as much as you can, and disincentivize anyone from participating with that community. 

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Mahitto said:

Yeah because only minor characters troll, right?. I'm sorry but your arguments make no sense. There are so many sub-par civilian characters that are not minor, same as there are LEO roleplayers that troll or only play to win. Your argument to make applications for minor characters is applicable to any kind of character. How many times a day do you see a pink-haired CCW license carrying lesbian vigilante in a sportscar? Are we gonna make them write an application if they want to portray a lesbian? Make it make sense. What is more, anybody is able to write a decent application but can just go in-game and troll. Look at the report section, people that are reported for the most sub-par shit are writing better stories than Shakespeare. 

I'm sorry that you got robbed by some fourteen year old character, but get over it already and stop making silly suggestions that would cripple minor characters.

If you see a minor character trolling or not portraying their character correctly just report them to RPQM instead of making ten general discussions about it.

Edited by sCrax
  • Wuhtah locked this topic