Minor characters and assets

HappyGecko

Just now, Mahitto said:

Again, a third time - the advantage is that you get to use assets that don't fit your character by claiming they fit the background of some inexistent character.

Second issue - if the kid does get into trouble, the inexistent parents will not punish them in any way since, well, they do not exist.

- But, it does fit your character. What WOULDN'T fit one's character is a whole gang consisting of homeless teens that represent some random hood without being locals in the region.

- I've seen teens complain about their parents, 1000x, within several factions or groups. This is simply not the case. If it is the case? Then, there's usually a good reason for it. Most gang-bangers don't have father figures and their mothers work all day, with two jobs, to support the family. They don't have the time and resources to discipline their children, effectively.

1 minute ago, DLimit said:

- But, it does fit your character. What WOULDN'T fit one's character is a whole gang consisting of homeless teens that represent some random hood without being locals in the region.

If someone's not able to properly role-play a minor, they shouldn't. That's the whole point - if you want to role-play a minor, do it properly. Find someone to either role-play as being your parent or guardian (even another member of the gang who's over 18, would share their apartment/house and vehicle with multiple people). Role-playing an inexistent person is not the way to go. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying it's poor portrayal.

1 minute ago, DLimit said:

- I've seen teens complain about their parents, 1000x, within several factions or groups. This is simply not the case. If it is the case? Then, there's usually a good reason for it. Most gang-bangers don't have father figures and their mothers work all day, with two jobs, to support the family. They don't have the time and resources to discipline their children, effectively.

Again, I'm not saying that people aren't complaining about their parents. They might as well be doing that. What I'm saying is that they don't get punished by their parents, don't face any repercussions. Regardless of what they do, they're not actually affected because an inexistent character can't take any action.

But regarding your second point? Let's say that's the case. Your character has no father and the mother is most likely working two minimum-wage jobs. Why does the mother have a vehicle that they leave at some so that their 16-year-old gangbanger can use to do a random driveby? Or if not, why would a single mother have two vehicles? How does the single mother who's struggling to put food on the table end up owning a property, and not renting one? It makes no sense from a realistic POV and even though it happens in some cases, it's not the norm. Regardless, the issues I mentioned before still stand. 

41 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

If someone's not able to properly role-play a minor, they shouldn't. That's the whole point - if you want to role-play a minor, do it properly. Find someone to either role-play as being your parent or guardian (even another member of the gang who's over 18, would share their apartment/house and vehicle with multiple people). Role-playing an inexistent person is not the way to go. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying it's poor portrayal.

Again, I'm not saying that people aren't complaining about their parents. They might as well be doing that. What I'm saying is that they don't get punished by their parents, don't face any repercussions. Regardless of what they do, they're not actually affected because an inexistent character can't take any action.

But regarding your second point? Let's say that's the case. Your character has no father and the mother is most likely working two minimum-wage jobs. Why does the mother have a vehicle that they leave at some so that their 16-year-old gangbanger can use to do a random driveby? Or if not, why would a single mother have two vehicles? How does the single mother who's struggling to put food on the table end up owning a property, and not renting one? It makes no sense from a realistic POV and even though it happens in some cases, it's not the norm. Regardless, the issues I mentioned before still stand. 

- It isn't poor portrayal. It's just a script-related issue. It's poor portrayal for a minor to not live with their parents, regardless as to whether it's NPC'd or a PC'd character.

- Would a random OG let a bunch of local kids that aren't even put on to the set into their home? Would a higher-up let the whole set sleep in his personal home? Not at all. Most of these units would suit three people, maximum, and maybe one person, minimum, if they sleep on the couch. It makes it even more ridiculous than it already needs to be. Trap houses? Sure. Personal properties? Not at all.

This really seems like a non-existent issue, to me. The whole "renting" topic would make sense if we actually had people RPing as landlords in the hood, but that's rarely the case.

16 hours ago, eTaylor said:

Is that something you consider a problem? Should all minor characters be orphans? 

Considering the majority of kids are in gangs, why not have a gangbanger dad?

14 minutes ago, DLimit said:

The whole "renting" topic would make sense if we actually had people RPing as landlords in the hood, but that's rarely the case.

Nobody would want to do that as they'd be gunned down every time they ask for rent.

Edited by Coburn
2 hours ago, DLimit said:

- But, it does fit your character. 

Does it though? Where does the expensive vehicle come in then?

Either the character is from a poor neighborhood, doesn't have a lot of oversight from their parents if they are around at all, and hangs around causing trouble. That's fine! Or, the character has parents that just happen to have expensive sports cars and don't care that their child uses it in shootouts, drive-by's and pursuits. That's not fine, but this is what happens. You can't have it both ways, that's the point being brought up here.

Edited by mj2002
30 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

Does it though? Where does the expensive vehicle come in then?

Either the character is from a poor neighborhood, doesn't have a lot of oversight from their parents if they are around at all, and hangs around causing trouble. That's fine! Or, the character has parents that just happen to have expensive sports cars and don't care that their child uses it in shootouts, drive-by's and pursuits. That's not fine, but this is what happens. You can't have it both ways, that's the point being brought up here.

Wasn't arguing in favour of an expensive vehicle. This was in response to the person claiming that anybody under 18 should not own properties or vehicles, what-so-ever, even if it was a cheap family van.

• Wuhtah locked this topic