Minor characters and assets

HappyGecko

3 hours ago, Mahitto said:

There's still a problem with that. Some parents would, but most parents wouldn't let their minor kid drive a vehicle on a public road without having a license. The problem is, besides the fact that it's just unrealistic, that there are no consequences to anything for people RPing as minors. Realistically, they'd have families and they'd sure get a whooping every once in a while, especially considering what they're usually doing. In-game, though? They're full of gang affiliations, hanging out all day dealing drugs, owning houses, driving cars, traveling the city and robbing people then going to prison for kidnapping, extortion and murder. Any no one role-plays any of that - no minor character ends as being locked inside the house or sent out-of-state to a catholic school. They all have inexistent parents when it benefits them, but they vanish once they become an impediment.

It should also have the same rule applied to it - if an item is on you, then it's on you; if an asset is in your name, then it's in your name. Why is John not be able to claim that his wanted vehicle is registered in an inexistent NPC's name, but some kiddo can? It makes no sense.

You keep conjuring up all these bogeymen in an effort to hide your privileged and entitled view on what and how people should play, but do you have any sources? Can you name a single character that actually meets the exaggerated criteria you posted? 

I feel like this derailed a little. I am by no means intending to stop minors from driving or owning cars. I however find it strongly weird that the meta for a lot of people is to use flashy and sporty cars driven by 15-16 year old kids for gang hits. Correct me if I am wrong but that's exactly why the speed of the Torrence got nerfed, because everyone used them for hits and robberies for an easy escape route. Same with the BF 400. Now i understand that you can't keep nerfing vehicles but the issue still stands.

• Applaud 1
7 hours ago, DLimit said:

Nothing wrong with 16 year-olds using their parents vehicle as long as the vehicle suits the backstory of themselves or their parents. 

It’s borderline power gaming when the car is in the minor’s name script-wise and there’s virtually nothing that can be done at that point because their parents don’t exist. I understand there’s no script support, but that doesn’t make it right. You say it's realistic for 16 year-olds to use their parent's vehicles. In the same argument, it's also realistic for adult-age people to still be living with their parents well into their 20's and 30's. It's not uncommon in the United States. With the being said, could I as an adult-age character RP still living with my non-existent parents and claim the car is theirs when in reality the car is script-wise in my name? I can guarantee you that wouldn't fly. You'd have every adult-age person trying to use that excuse the same way many (not all) minors use that excuse knowing they will get away with it. So why the double standard?

People are forced to RP their items if they are on their person, even if they RP storing it elsewhere because the script dictates what’s on you, is on you. So why do minors get to RP the car not being theirs when it’s clearly script-wise in their name? It’s a cop out used by many people as mostly an excuse to get out of trouble and everyone knows it. 

Edited by 99
  • Upvote 2
9 hours ago, DLimit said:

We're talking about 16 year olds, here. 

Some families simply don't care or are irresponsible. Others try to punish their children, but fail. Other families are overpowered by their gang-banging child who has connects that would probably murder them. Others may, in fact, have had been raised in such an environment and passed it down to their children. There's numerous variables to take into consideration before jumping to conclusions. You'd think poverty-ridden parents can afford Catholic school? Hardly the case. Most of the time, the situation for these gang-banging youths is that they have a single working-class mother that probably spends most of her day, labouring two minimum-waged jobs to survive. But, too many variables to take into consideration.

No one? I've seen countless situations, within illegal factions and groups, where the teens complain about their parents. I'm curious, but have you RP'd in any gang-based groups or factions? Because I've seen it 1000s of times.

It'd be realistic to have it under the caregiver's name. Doesn't mean that the child doesn't suffer the consequences of it. The properties or assets can still get raided, seized, destroyed etc... there's no real "benefit" to this.

Exactly, 16-year-olds are not usually trusted with vehicles, do not drive around on their own and do not own vehicles. This also happens for characters under 16, it's not just 16-year-olds. I'm not saying that exceptions do not exist, but there's a problem when everyone becomes an exception. I'm also not saying that minor characters don't acknowledge their parents ICly - what I'm saying that I've never seen a minor gang character, for example, end because of some action being taken by their parents in regards to their behavior - if you notice your kid hanging out with the wrong crowds, getting tattooed head-to-toe and literally commit murder, you do something about it - not seeing that here.

There is a benefit to all of this - people role-playing as minors don't actually lose anything compared to adult characters, while in real life the situation would be completely different. A minor can still run the same speed, climb the same, jump the same, they can shoot (a bit worse now, after the update), they can get a job, own a house and a car etc. Am I saying that all minor characters abuse this? Absolutely not. But most certainly way too many of them do.

8 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

u can have a learners license in cali if ur 16 whats the issue 

Yeah, but you can't drive on your own and you can't own a vehicle.

6 hours ago, eTaylor said:

You keep conjuring up all these bogeymen in an effort to hide your privileged and entitled view on what and how people should play, but do you have any sources? Can you name a single character that actually meets the exaggerated criteria you posted? 

The source is this exact topic, along with the large crowd of people complaining about extremely poorly developed under-18 characters that have been abusing such loopholes for a long time now.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Mahitto said:

The source is this exact topic, along with the large crowd of people complaining about extremely poorly developed under-18 characters that have been abusing such loopholes for a long time now.

Source: trust me bro. Literally every conceivable group on the server is fair game with this rhetoric. I can make up any worst case player for any niche to try and make an argument sound better. It’s the moral equivalent of blaming all your troubles on immigrant stereotypes and wartime antisemitism. And most importantly it’s not even true. What loopholes are people even abusing? Saying you’re x age doesn’t change the fact that you go to jail for crime, it

doesn’t change your liability to get shot and doesn’t change the fact that you are held to the same roleplay standard as everyone else. You’re beating your chest victimizing yourself with fictional people and scenarios that don’t even exist. 

• Applaud 1
9 hours ago, DLimit said:

A) The officers would be aware of the child's location if they were to reside with their parents.
B) The officers would probably attain the child's address after conversing with them.
C) The child's name would be in the system as the parents' son/daughter, anyway, allowing them to find their address through those means.

Isn't that complicated as people make it out to be. Zero advantages.

That's fair, but that relies on the information being relayed OOCly, especially if there's no properties on file for that character on the MDC.

59 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Source: trust me bro. Literally every conceivable group on the server is fair game with this rhetoric. I can make up any worst case player for any niche to try and make an argument sound better. It’s the moral equivalent of blaming all your troubles on immigrant stereotypes and wartime antisemitism. And most importantly it’s not even true. What loopholes are people even abusing? Saying you’re x age doesn’t change the fact that you go to jail for crime, it

doesn’t change your liability to get shot and doesn’t change the fact that you are held to the same roleplay standard as everyone else. You’re beating your chest victimizing yourself with fictional people and scenarios that don’t even exist. 

It's well known that some issues are greater than others, especially based on people's reaction to them. Poorly-portrayed robberies are a way bigger and more common of a problem than taxi drivers powergaming locking you in the vehicle, for example.

I have an opinion, I'm not victimizing myself - not that I could, as this doesn't affect me whatsoever. I do, however, think that it's extremely unrealistic and we, as a community, should strive towards as high of a quality as possible. Again - if you're allowed to NPC your parents, why wouldn't you be allowed to NPC witnesses to your robbery? Why can't you NPC long-lost relatives providing you with unrealistic assets? Why couldn't you NPC having a huge, successful company? Why can't you NPC having a gun even if it doesn't actually exist? Under-18 characters shouldn't own assets that they realistically wouldn't have access to.

8 hours ago, 99 said:

It’s borderline power gaming when the car is in the minor’s name script-wise and there’s virtually nothing that can be done at that point because their parents don’t exist. I understand there’s no script support, but that doesn’t make it right. You say it's realistic for 16 year-olds to use their parent's vehicles. In the same argument, it's also realistic for adult-age people to still be living with their parents well into their 20's and 30's. It's not uncommon in the United States. With the being said, could I as an adult-age character RP still living with my non-existent parents and claim the car is theirs when in reality the car is script-wise in my name? I can guarantee you that wouldn't fly. You'd have every adult-age person trying to use that excuse the same way many (not all) minors use that excuse knowing they will get away with it. So why the double standard?

People are forced to RP their items if they are on their person, even if they RP storing it elsewhere because the script dictates what’s on you, is on you. So why do minors get to RP the car not being theirs when it’s clearly script-wise in their name? It’s a cop out used by many people as mostly an excuse to get out of trouble and everyone knows it. 

Nothing wrong with an adult living with their parents if it suits their backstory.

The assets that are on your person remain on your person. The character still suffers the same consequences as any other character would, but you'd just simply claim that it's under the parent's name. The character's house can still get raided, the vehicle can still get re-possessed, and the character will still suffer from the same charges as "having it under a parents name" doesn't exempt one from any consequences.

Still zero advantages.

14 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Still zero advantages.

Again, a third time - the advantage is that you get to use assets that don't fit your character by claiming they fit the background of some inexistent character.

Second issue - if the kid does get into trouble, the inexistent parents will not punish them in any way since, well, they do not exist.

• Wuhtah locked this topic