Holding on to IC jobs.

Shaderz

It does feel weird to talk to someone and hear about their seven career changes in the last 3 weeks. I just take it IC though and have found it oddly pleasing to debate about it with others. Roleplaying older then your twenties is already hard enough to hold conversation going. However, this is one of those "bad player mentality" things that has a somewhat positive effect.

17 hours ago, Mythology said:

Because I want to roleplay an illegal character but I can't join 90% of the interesting faction concepts on that alt due to said illegaility and the OOC corruption rules. Also, factions which are reliant for /finvite are also shut out due to you only being able to be a part of one or the other. There are ton of combinations possible for interesting characters and establishing relations through them but it's shut out due to out of character rulings.

I agree with this, first of all, we need to have the ability to join multiple factions on a single character when it makes sense, otherwise we only promote people to choose one environment while disregarding the other. And this leads to one-dimensionality in characters. It would lead more easily to create more factions based around neighborhoods/districts for everyone to join, for example, while also having the possibility of being in a gang or legal organization, grounding more characters around places, to name a possibility.

16 hours ago, disnep said:

It does feel weird to talk to someone and hear about their seven career changes in the last 3 weeks. I just take it IC though and have found it oddly pleasing to debate about it with others. Roleplaying older then your twenties is already hard enough to hold conversation going. However, this is one of those "bad player mentality" things that has a somewhat positive effect.

Try roleplaying in media, have literally had strippers suddenly wanting to become journalists who somehow only got the job because of connections and cried hard ooc when they realized they only got paid when they actually wrote articles. Obviously they only wanted to be 'on TV' despite the fact they had no IC experience or training and hadn't proven themselves trustworthy. Very rarely have I heard any genuinely interesting or even sensible career stories from applicants. They'll basically tell you want they think you want to hear to get the job and no show after a few days activity. It really does get tiring, especially if your area of roleplay is already a very niche area. So I totally get where you and the OP are coming from.

Edited by Moonsong

You do gotta remember that most of the western world is in a high conjuncture economy. In very simple terms, that means that there are too many people for lower paid jobs, jobs that don't require a strong education, but too few people for high paying jobs. This is especially reflected in GTAW, though GTAW is I'm the most extreme high conjuncture economy ever. Which still isn't impossible in economic theory, but consider this: in GTAW every major business, every government department, every university, they are all understaffed in high positions simply because OOC the players aren't interested and IC there are not enough people around to fill the positions, i.e. high conjuncture economy.

In a very high conjuncture economy, if you have the education background and the work experience, it's not that hard for you to find a good job elsewhere. @Sush said early on in this thread, "it's a workers market", and it is. It's on the employer to treat you nice and get you a good environment, otherwise you can just find better elsewhere. So it's not all that unrealistic for people to not value their position so much. 

Of course this isn't the case in every sector, arts and entertainment sector for example is the opposite right now, especially in the center of culture of Los Angeles, but still. 

TL;DR: In our economy both IRL and IC, it's a worker's market right now, and this makes sense. It's not meta or unrealistic. 

Also, check the economy section of https://wiki.gta.world/index.php/San_Andreas

22 minutes ago, Hugh-Gi-Oh said:

TL;DR: In our economy both IRL and IC, it's a worker's market right now, and this makes sense. It's not meta or unrealistic. 

This is the case because all of the money comes out of thin air, rather than through businesses paying employees.

It’s still a game, and people want to do things they find interesting and tell stories they are engaged with. For the most part you’ll find plenty of people roleplaying the punished, oppressed and squeezed worker - because that is part of their story. It’s a niche, and it’s something not everyone is into and that’s okay. I understand that a lot of the newer people come from “slice of life” communities on platforms like Second Life, but this isn’t a server that aims to torture its players (unless they want to). 

• Wuhtah locked this topic