Holding on to IC jobs.

Shaderz

15 hours ago, Inked said:

Because if you're not enjoying the job you're roleplaying working at in a game — why would you do it? Most people don't roleplay to simulate a 9-5 job and all the negatives that come with it. While it may be more 'realistic', it's not particularly fun. Playing video games is about fun, and being ultra realistic in this regard is merely only a nitpick that does not truly destroy or diminish the integrity or capability of roleplay. 

I agree, though I know a lot of people who have an IC job for their characters (Clerk, Business owner etc) who actually have fun in their job and the RP of it, because it's unique or different.

Dear @Shaderzyou are so correct in your logic. I think this happens also due to the fact that it is fairly easy to make “enough” money to stop working. I have ran Catalunya for more than one year actively on the server, and it was extremely difficult to find staff that was there for the job, and did not leave after making a certain amount of money they needed. People (mostly) treat jobs as a money grind, rather than a fundamental part of their character’s day.

It's a fundamental issue about how businesses run here, tbh. It's very hard to be connected to a business like you do in real life because you spend a rather insignificant portion of your game time working compared to how much you work/study in real life. Our jobs IRL hold that big a sway over us because they're most of what we do. We spend most of our time doing whatever it is we do. We constantly talk about work/school IRL because it's where we spend a majority of our time and it's where many of our peers are. That connection doesn't often exist here unless you're doing some sort of initiative for passive, industrial or agricultural RP of some sort.

It is a culture bred from the economy.

In a world where housing was super cheap and you earned 5k / hour RL, then you could also care less about your job and leave on a whim.

People have been saying the economy is unrealistic for well over a year and this is just another symptom of a broken system.

That said, a lot of people don’t want to have to grind 20 hours a week and be subject to huge financial consequences because they fell out with their IC boss, which too is a valid argument.

2 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

That said, a lot of people don’t want to have to grind 20 hours a week and be subject to huge financial consequences because they fell out with their IC boss, which too is a valid argument.

It's a common divide there seems to be between players who are proponents of full realism vs. those who are proponents of verisimilitude. The latter would like to RP something they wouldn't do IRL, in a GTA-esque universe. As a consequence, they see the idea of RP'ing a job they dislike 20 hours a week as... not really interesting or fun. They might as well do that IRL and make actual RL money. While the former see that as quality RP. 

It's also part of why the former would like a fully realistic economy, that forces you to engage in mind-numbing tasks for 40 RL hours a week for no reward. While the latter are mostly fine with an economy that doesn't aim to replicate real-life, since it frees them a lot of time to engage in other kinds of RP (be it legal or illegal). 

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

It's a common divide there seems to be between players who are proponents of full realism vs. those who are proponents of verisimilitude. The latter would like to RP something they wouldn't do IRL, in a GTA-esque universe. As a consequence, they see the idea of RP'ing a job they dislike 20 hours a week as... not really interesting or fun. They might as well do that IRL and make actual RL money. While the former see that as quality RP. 

It's also part of why the former would like a fully realistic economy, that forces you to engage in mind-numbing tasks for 40 RL hours a week for no reward. While the latter are mostly fine with an economy that doesn't aim to replicate real-life, since it frees them a lot of time to engage in other kinds of RP (be it legal or illegal). 

I agree, but I also think that in many of these polarizing issues, the answer often lies somewhere in the between. I think there's a sweetspot between those two positions in which you can have an engaging character that feels like they have a real life of their own, while still enjoying time for escapism and to explore other ideas. In the end I think that's what creates the best kinds of characters.

• Upvote 1

Because I want to roleplay an illegal character but I can't join 90% of the interesting faction concepts on that alt due to said illegaility and the OOC corruption rules. Also, factions which are reliant for /finvite are also shut out due to you only being able to be a part of one or the other. There are ton of combinations possible for interesting characters and establishing relations through them but it's shut out due to out of character rulings.

The only faction right now who doesn't care for that, is the Port of Los Santos. It's a fun cesspool of illegal and legal characters and finds a lot of common grounds, and it is that way because a) it doesn't rely on a /finvite and b) it doesn't care about your character background.

Edited by Mythology
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Mythology said:

The only faction right now who doesn't care for that, is the Port of Los Santos. It's a fun cesspool of illegal and legal characters and finds a lot of common grounds, and it is that way because a) it doesn't rely on a /finvite and b) it doesn't care about your character background.

The Port is honestly one of the best places to find no divide between Illegal and Legal, you're there to work, end of discussion. In all honestly it's THE spot to find quality roleplay.

• Wuhtah locked this topic