Holding on to IC jobs.

Shaderz

14 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

I suppose this topic is about cases in which there's both IC and OOC lack of enjoyment. Case in which I think it's perfectly fine to find something you enjoy OOCly as well. 

It's not really about that. I do agree people should enjoy their roleplay OOC, but in this particular case, I believe being in a vulnerable spot which their character would definitely not enjoy and going above and beyond to keep their job and fearing unemployment which so many people do in real life could do with some pretty cool roleplay. Keep in mind I'm not saying it never happens on the server, but I fail to see it from my own experience. Your IC unenjoyment shouldn't be the cause of your OOC unenjoyment.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Inked said:

I'm here to roleplay for my enjoyment, not for yours.

Exactly, but somehow this seems to be like... an outrageous idea for some reason ^^'

This is a recurring problem on this server and some others though. Many appear to believe that the entire game is about their character and that everyone else is nothing more but an NPC that should ONLY be there for them... ^^' 

It's particularly true in the case of "IC jobs", most of which could be fulfilled by an NPC with a very marginal loss of RP quality. Hence... if an IC job is miserable for you OOC'ly, I definitely won't blame you for doing something else with your free time. 

5 minutes ago, Shaderz said:

It's not really about that. I do agree people should enjoy their roleplay OOC, but in this particular case, I believe being in a vulnerable spot which their character would definitely not enjoy and going above and beyond to keep their job and fearing unemployment which so many people do in real life could do with some pretty cool roleplay. 

Nobody will prevent you from doing that. Feel free, I'm certain everyone here on the server will be happy if you do just that and enjoy yourself. ^^' 

Edited by Topinambour
10 minutes ago, Shaderz said:

It's not really about that. I do agree people should enjoy their roleplay OOC, but in this particular case, I believe being in a vulnerable spot which their character would definitely not enjoy and going above and beyond to keep their job and fearing unemployment which so many people do in real life could do with some pretty cool roleplay. Keep in mind I'm not saying it never happens on the server, but I fail to see it from my own experience. Your IC unenjoyment shouldn't be the cause of your OOC unenjoyment.

Totally. Just because your character is in a though spot does not mean that you should back away. The problem with this thread is that it doesn't give examples or specify what this unenjoyment is or what it stems from - if your character doesn't get along with some other employee, that would be a pretty silly reason to leave. If the business is poorly led (OOCly), the owner is inactive or whatever else that might cause unenjoyment (both IC and OOC), that would be a good reason to leave. I don't think you can properly put everything under such a wide umbrella. Depends on the situation.

But regarding one of the initial stances, I don't think that a character should actually fear unemployment given how easy it is to get a job and make money on GTA World. There are some ways in which GTA World is and will always be different than real life, this is one of them. Pretending like it's hard to find a job, any job, would be silly.

I sort of get what you're saying but after having had a character in a company they hated, working alongside people they despised but still clinging onto their job because they felt they couldn't quit... I don't think I'd go through that again. Yeah, the conflict can be interesting initially but it turns toxic and unproductive after a while. There's always something else you could be doing with your time, so unless you're purposefully seeking out this sort of roleplay experience then I totally understand why someone would go 'yeah, not for me' when they find themselves in that situation. 

2 hours ago, Shaderz said:

Because there's a sweeping array of IC employment opportunities on the server, way more than there would realistically be

I don't think I agree with this. The vast majority of of job ads I see are for sex workers and night club staff. I've seen people involved in these small IC disputes just leave the server entirely because they feel there's no room for them elsewhere so I don't think this has to do with the job situation; just more people not willing to involve themselves in endless conflict roleplay. 

Edited by books
2 hours ago, Inked said:

Because if you're not enjoying the job you're roleplaying working at in a game — why would you do it? Most people don't roleplay to simulate a 9-5 job and all the negatives that come with it. While it may be more 'realistic', it's not particularly fun. Playing video games is about fun, and being ultra realistic in this regard is merely only a nitpick that does not truly destroy or diminish the integrity or capability of roleplay. 

someone pointed out that this this is too easy of an answer but i believe it's the appropriate answer for so many questions that allude to the server not adhering to the real world - despite some people wanting it to be, gta rp isn't going to become a 1:1 life sim

we all only have a limited amount of time per day or week to play on this server and monotony isn't for everybody

20 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

Exactly, but somehow this seems to be like... an outrageous idea for some reason ^^'

This is a recurring problem on this server and some others though. Many appear to believe that the entire game is about their character and that everyone else is nothing more but an NPC that should ONLY be there for them... ^^' 

It's particularly true in the case of "IC jobs", most of which could be fulfilled by an NPC with a very marginal loss of RP quality. Hence... if an IC job is miserable for you OOC'ly, I definitely won't blame you for doing something else with your free time. 

Nobody will prevent you from doing that. Feel free, I'm certain everyone here on the server will be happy if you do just that and enjoy yourself. ^^' 

when i looked for mechanic rp discussions a few months ago i remember catching a comment of yours in a discussion from 2019, one user there basically asked why the server doesn't force players to witness mechanic rp after being told that most people don't find it interesting or even remotely valuable to their experience

of course it's the mechanic's idea of fun but that doesn't mean other players should be held captive and forced to watch if it's not fun for them, i understand that common courtesy sort of comes into play here but this is a game server, people shouldn't have to be tied down to something that they don't find fun (bar rule breakers facing punishment)

the mechanic rp is only one example, i'm sure this applies to other professions in the server where it's realistic for the sake of realism, not for fun

38 minutes ago, books said:

I don't think I agree with this. The vast majority of of job ads I see are for sex workers and night club staff. I've seen people involved in these small IC disputes just leave the server entirely because they feel there's no room for them elsewhere so I don't think this has to do with the job situation; just more people not willing to involve themselves in endless conflict roleplay. 

That depends on how you look at it. If you only base yourself off of in-game advertisements, sure. I can agree most of the 'hiring for X job' ads are mostly the ones you referred to, but if you dig deeper you'll find that there's way more to that. A lot of government factions have their recruitment status permanently set to open, others open recruitment for 7-14 days every month. A quick look here also shows you how employment opportunities expand out to other sectors.

This isn't the issue though, even though indirectly it affects the way people don't roleplay being scared of unemployment at all, or hold on to them. If jobs were overall more scarce and harder to get (which isn't what I'm suggesting is what should happen, by the way), perhaps people would start taking into consideration how they'd rather work at a place which isn't the best in terms of how they get treated or paid, rather than being jobless with no source of income to realistically support their basic needs and assets.

Edited by Shaderz
1 hour ago, Shaderz said:

This isn't the issue though, even though indirectly it affects the way people don't roleplay being scared of unemployment at all, or hold on to them. If jobs were overall more scarce and harder to get (which isn't what I'm suggesting is what should happen, by the way), perhaps people would start taking into consideration how they'd rather work at a place which isn't the best in terms of how they get treated or paid, rather than being jobless with no source of income to realistically support their basic needs and assets.

There is a flaw with this idea which is quite fundamental: many people RPing right now are more than happy to say that they are "looking for work" when they're not, or never refer to the specifics of their profession in order to avoid saying they don't have a job, because they have all the assets they could possibly want to portray their desired lives and there's no cost associated with living other than perhaps paying your car insurance or making some money for that car/apartment you want. A lot of people (mostly those who would be in the so-called "mallrat" definition many hold) simply have no interest in working at all because their needs have already been covered through past characters/money made in the past. It doesn't help that a lot of jobs simply aren't fun to RP. Illegal RPers are no different, the majority show no interest in working unless it's their faction's business or legal front, and it shows.

I run a night club and I have tremendous problems finding reliable staff despite the fact that I pay very generously (because my objective isn't to make money for myself, it's to have a neighborhood business that the community can enjoy), and I go as far as even trying to add depth and create little situations of daily maintentance to play with, like RPing small-time tasks like deliveries, going to pick up stock etc., I even RPed having a rat problem and needing to find an exterminator, for some daily life kinds of stuff. I try to hire local characters who are otherwise mostly somehow involved in illegal activities or are just wandering around the neighborhood with no primary job, to give them a civilian occupation to fall into and a majority of them don't want it, despite it being two hours of RP out of their entire week, and really, ultimately it's just not attractive to people.

Edited by Koko
35 minutes ago, Koko said:

It doesn't help that a lot of jobs simply aren't fun to RP.

this is it

when the server opened nervous explained that the 5k an hour was given to players as a boost, and to be flexibly roleplayed however you want, and i used to roleplay it as each of my characters' work income that happened off screen just like most tv shows/movies

i did take up mining on one character because it was a fun group activity, but on my alts i created imaginary jobs/income that happened off screen and used the 5k paycheck money to back them up, because there aren't many jobs that are both genuinely interesting/fun AND fitting for my characters

• Wuhtah locked this topic