Passive Metagaming

Daquan Kingston

One can't get rid of their most basic behaviors, at least not for the months or years that a character can last. Sooner or later you're gonna be yourself regardless of your character.

I'm a very laid back person, I don't think in a bad way, but self criticism does wonders. I'm perfectly aware of it so I make characters that fit me, and not adrenalin addicts that go clubbing at every chance they get... and end up acting like I normally would. You can argue all you want, but this has made my roleplay experience infinitely more enjoyable.

Of course, mood changes happen, but more often than not they're temporal. You can force it in those times, or fall back in your regular habits. Just my two cents...

Edited by Amellis
Typing on my phone REEEE
On 11/9/2021 at 2:44 PM, Daquan Kingston said:

I have been spending some hours throughout last month around the server and the forums, and I have noticed a lot of cases where people passively metagame. This thing lowkey bothered me though because it clashes with my character’s point of view but I don’t see much being done against it. Such examples of passive/minor metagaming would include the usage of a certain vocabulary or attitude of somebody’s internet-persona on a character that has nothing in common. There are people of various backgrounds and nationalities who speak IC like they are some young men from England, same as I have seen quite some fearless and super calm people that walk on sunshine all smiles after being mugged 10 minutes ago from teenage ruthless criminals. They look at it as a simple 600$ loss (which they can make in 10 minutes) and neglect the psychological & emotional impact. You can go to half of the business, and the ethic of service is zero, which makes you wonder how these people are hired in first place. I’m sure there are many others things, and while I have been reporting these things throughout the years, I fail to see any major improvement to stop this continuation of immersion-breaking mixing, giving me an arcade-experience as a player rather than an immersive one. What could be done better to have IC events hold IC value and consequences?

As for myself and my small contribution? Regarding being mugged, it happened so many times, that I simply don't give a damn anymore. If I counted every single mugging my character went through, having an IC impact, they would leave the city by now. So no, I don't do that anymore. 

When there’s so much crime occurring in your character’s day to day life, they begin to become desensitized. 

if you have an issue with characters who are desensitized and you want them to crawl up in a fetus position and cry for their mommy, you’re not really caring about roleplay, you’re just caring about fulfilling some sick ooc power trip fantasy. 

I've been to four mass-casualty incidents in the past week, two of which I happened to get stuck in the middle of on my civilian character.

At some point, you just stop caring about the dead bodies, or that you just got your stuff stolen. A gun's scary until the fifth or sixth time. Eventualities are easier to cope with.

Also women don't have to be played as innocent and feminine because not every woman is, we aren't incapable of picking up lingo or speech mannerisms because we have boobs

Next time I hear "pepega" IC though, I'm gonna put a hole in my drywall.

• Upvote 1