Passive Metagaming

Daquan Kingston

Okay so there definitely are way too many people who say mate & lad & literally play themselves as British characters in LS. Or they let those words slip.

BUT.. if you want people to be roleplay being bothered and shocked by being robbed, that's not gonna happen if they get robbed often, realistically it's another day in Juarez to them with the ridiculous crime rate.

As far as women saying dude & bro & people speaking 'younger' and more casual than you think the character would be, that's not up to you chief, go touch grass. The west coast is full of people who don't grow up. And people who are 25-35 years old now have been saying dude/bro and half the other stuff long before some little 14 yr old gangbanger learned to speak.

There’s no such thing as “correct vernacular”, people can talk however the fuck they want.

The stereotypes that people perceive as social norms amongst different nationalities and groups on the server are just divisive and stupid, and just make the server as a whole look more like a teenage soap opera writer’s impression of California as opposed to a realistic one.

It’s 2021, people are influenced by popular culture from all different sorts of media. Tom Hanks’ son speaks Patois, is it really unheard of for a 25 year old woman to say dude? Once you manage to date a girl in real life you’re going to come to find that they’re not the perfect idyllic little creatures that you fantasise about them being. They’re gross humans just like dudes. 

As a rule of thumb, if someone is metagaming and it’s not affecting anyone (I.e. you’re not losing anything) you don’t need to waste everyone’s time and take it to the report section. Don’t be that guy. Nobody likes that guy. Send the person a PM first, if they’re not receptive to that? Then sure, go ahead and report them. In most cases the person may not even realise they’re doing it. 

However, besides the example of people assuming drug weights, nothing you’ve stated in this thread is actually metagaming, it’s just players not conforming to your narrow perception of what constitutes a norm. Women can say dude, age doesn’t necessarily constitute trade skills, getting robbed for the equivalent of $6 and suffering no physical trauma isn’t actually THAT big of a deal to a lot of people (especially if you’re conditioned to it) and people have been trading assets since the dawn of time - that is how FIAT became a thing in the first place. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Goonbag said:

There’s no such thing as “correct vernacular”, people can talk however the fuck they want.

It’s 2021, people are influenced by popular culture from all different sorts of media. Tom Hanks’ son speaks Patois, is it really unheard of for a 25 year old woman to say dude? Once you manage to date a girl in real life you’re going to come to find that they’re not the perfect idyllic little creatures that you fantasise about them being. They’re gross humans just like dudes. 

perfect example of someone speaking with incorrect vernacular (Tom Hanks' son speaking Patois) and EVERYONE COLLECTIVELY AGREEING that hes fuckin weird for it

on topic, a woman saying dude isn't weird at all lol. 

Just now, Amellis said:

We all get the point! There's no need to fill three pages mocking the OP. Instead of repeating each other... As a community, we can discuss what we all agree is wrong with what's the topic at hand and try to come up with solutions.

Thank you. My point indeed was the unnatural behavior that is widely ignored or neglected, even though it is clear it originates from the player behind the screen and that is very much present on several cases across a playing session. An example is not the topic, the behavior is.

The OP has some valid points but I think you all unfairly jumped on him. My issue isn't the use of women using bro/dude as that's common Californian slang.

My issue is more at the over the top internet focused slang and general terms that you wouldn't typically hear day to day. Maybe in your middle school playground you would but not being used by the general public. It's not just female chars either who're guilty of this. 

For example I seldom see "hella" or "stoked" but often see "fella, bruv, innit, mate" by characters of all backgrounds. 

Edited by Late
3 minutes ago, Gallagher said:

perfect example of someone speaking with incorrect vernacular (Tom Hanks' son speaking Patois) and EVERYONE COLLECTIVELY AGREEING that hes fuckin weird for it

on topic, a woman saying dude isn't weird at all lol. 

In hindsight, probably the worst example I could’ve used. I just went for the most extreme. 

But even people saying lad is becoming more common as the UK drill scene creeps into the US. Especially when big names like Drake are pushing it. 

And although I agree there is a disproportionately large amount of Brits on the server, there IS estimated to be around 200,000 British nationals living in LA County. While this number is over represented in game, I’d argue you’re probably more likely to run into a Brit in LA than you are a mobbed up Italian or a skinhead wearing suspenders and Doc Martens with red laces. This definitely isn’t the case on the server. 

11 minutes ago, Amellis said:

We all get the point! There's no need to fill three pages mocking the OP. Instead of repeating each other... As a community, we can discuss what we all agree is wrong with what's the topic at hand and try to come up with solutions.

I think the community has pretty much agreed that there is nothing wrong with the topic at hand and therefore no solutions can be reached.