Passive Metagaming

Daquan Kingston

I've worked with Californians and in California, and I've heard people as young as 18 and as "old" as 40+ calling others bro/dude, not sure where we're going with this. 

Regarding the internet terms, I'm not sure which generation you're from, but at least from the standpoint of a late millenial... someone who's around 30 would know those terms, for the most part. And most people I know IRL... and whether male or female - because some here seem to think "girls don't internet"... what are you, a grad school kid from the early 90s? Anyway, they actually use them on a regular basis. 

If a character was 50+ years old then it would indeed be a little weirder, but for anyone* who's below 40 yo and living in California, it would actually be unusual for them to NOT know what YouTube and the internet slang is. :x So once more, I'm not sure where we're going with that ^^' 

Regarding the robberies... playing a trauma can be interesting, but playing a trauma 5 times a week can get a little old, I suppose. Overall it's not a question of realism but of verisimilitude. The fact that LS has a lot of stuff like that going around makes it plausible that you'd get somewhat armored against it. And even if it's not the case, I'm not everyone's mom or the RP police, here to force them into some trauma RP they really don't wanna have to partake in all the damn time. Therefore... I also don't know where we're going with that :x 

And for the service offered in script businesses, I don't know if you've ever been to a 7-11 but I know the service isn't uh... "top tier" there either. ^^'' I know I never expected to have a very enticing interaction when going to In-N-Out anyway, and neither do I when I IC'ly go to a 24/7 to grab a soda :x So again I'm not really sure where we're going with that. 

* with the exception of more isolated communities that tend to despise popular culture, like the rich elite, but it's a specific case

• Upvote 1

I do not see where you are going regarding women calling you ''dude'' or ''bro''. Do you not like this because it's not how you expect a typical woman to act so you assume it's bad portrayal? As a RL woman who is not even from California (Born and currently reside in a southern US state) This is a very common occurrence from all age ranges from earlier twenties upwards, my forty year old plus mother even uses these words. Just because someone is a woman/rping as one, they do not have to restrict themselves from certain words. Especially ones that are VERY common. Honestly, if this is immersion breaking for you I don't know what to tell you besides maybe spend more time with IRL women from this generation and you'll quickly see that it's not.

For the fear part, yeah sure that's a problem sometimes, but most of these are non issues/IC ones. It to me seems like you expect people to act in a very cookie cutter way and claim immersion breaking when they don't.

Edited by Pickle

I'm not sure I'd call any of this metagame, moreso you seeing an issue with portrayal.

At the end of the day in regards to robberies legal roleplayers (who you seem to be taking issue with) are often targetted for robberies and can be robbed multiple times a week if they are unlucky. Most legal roleplayers don't want to roleplay the psychological effects of something they don't really want to happen in the first place. So in respect to their ongoing atorylines they decide against letting such a one off event bring the rest of their roleplay down. I have also seen other legal roleplayers who have decided to let constant robberied effect their character and have seen how this has led to them keeping entirely to themselves and never going out- perhaps that is why you don't see people reacting strongly ICly to robberies?

In addition how would these things clash with your characters point of view in character? Just doesn't make sense to me. People in America, especially LA use phrases such as Bro/Dude no matter their gender. Do you have issues with women using phrases you percieve to be maculine? Seems pretty misogynistic. 

Edited by CassandraBlackwell
Cool
1 hour ago, Topinambour said:

30 would know those terms, for the most part. And most people I know IRL... and whether male or female - because some here seem to think "girls don't internet"... what are you, a grad school kid from the early 90s? Anyway, they actually use them on a regular basis. 

LMAO yeah do people think we're all like super uptight n like socially innocent?? Man I think people have only spent time with their 50-60 year old mom at home n think women either act like that or how they do in TV shows where we're super sultry n emotional n dramatic. Fuck off lmaoooo

8 hours ago, Late said:

I do very much agree with the internet vocabulary being used a little too much.  Seeing female characters speak, behave and act as a bunch of guys on the internet is always very immersion breaking. When women speak to Habeeb as if they're jocks on the schools football team it just doesn't seem right at all. 

As for the service thing, I think it stems from a lot of businesses in LS ICly being "mom and pop" type stores. Everything is owned independently and few would be corporations. Only your burger shots and bean machines (which are rare lately) could really be passed off ICly as being part of a franchise and having to uphold a set corporate standard.  

Pretty much this. 

To be more specific, the said woman was a career police officer who minutes later made a trollish /me. I do not want to expose them with the screenshot, but my point is that there are some bold cases of poor portrayal even on the surface of the server. The issue is broader. People in quite several cases do not match their behavior with their character background, but their own OOC wishes. Take for example the young mechanic experts. The people who can tell exactly how much drugs (grams) you are giving them on their hand. The people who only trade houses instead of taking profit from the sale, the list goes on. My question is; should these things be treated as rulebreaking and punished accordingly in order to set a higher standard?

2 minutes ago, L I C E said:

LMAO yeah do people think we're all like super uptight n like socially innocent?? Man I think people have only spent time with their 50-60 year old mom at home n think women either act like that or how they do in TV shows where we're super sultry n emotional n dramatic. Fuck off lmaoooo

u are too emotional to engage in this topic.

OT: expecting people to use correct vernacular is a big ask when most of them cant even pick the right nationality 

• Amellis locked and unlocked this topic
  • Amellis locked this topic