What LEGAL job is underrepresented on the server?

Coburn

5 hours ago, DLimit said:

People can always have a unique script that sells a specific item, allowing people to earn $4,000 an hour. I.E. An office of a company that sells printer ink or all-purpose cleaner. It'd be sort of a "Call Center".

Then you run into the budget "allowance" issue - you have so much of that 4k an hour to give out. LFM expects and requires the business to be profitable on it's own, meaning it has to be sustainable even without the checks.

That means whatever market you enter, it has to A) be something that legitimately sells, and B) without any competition ever appearing, as the moment a competitor appears, roleplay takes a backseat just to keep the business from being run out of the market.

desperately wanted an office space type roleplay environment, but the ones that existed and currently exist require actual office workplace qualifications to join. No joke, becoming a lawyer was easier than becoming an office drone in this server.

If I could make that office environment for people to roleplay in without it becoming a literal second job, I absolutely would. I don't care if I make a profit off of it or not. I just want an office where people can roleplay without it being a second job.

But as you can see, I haven't been able to find one single means, despite having tried for years now.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Then you run into the budget "allowance" issue - you have so much of that 4k an hour to give out. LFM expects and requires the business to be profitable on it's own, meaning it has to be sustainable even without the checks.

That means whatever market you enter, it has to A) be something that legitimately sells, and B) without any competition ever appearing, as the moment a competitor appears, roleplay takes a backseat just to keep the business from being run out of the market.

desperately wanted an office space type roleplay environment, but the ones that existed and currently exist require actual office workplace qualifications to join. No joke, becoming a lawyer was easier than becoming an office drone in this server.

If I could make that office environment for people to roleplay in without it becoming a literal second job, I absolutely would. I don't care if I make a profit off of it or not. I just want an office where people can roleplay without it being a second job.

But as you can see, I haven't been able to find one single means, despite having tried for years now.

Find a method towards making it profitable. Sell goods or a service in a manner that's identical to a call center. Could be a company that surveys people and then sells that information to politicians etc...

3 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

When I started a modeling agency RP I managed to create a somewhat successful (by GTA W standards) office environment. We had these casting days where HR employees interviewed candidates at the office, and then the candidates would have to pose in front of photographers and walk the catwalk. Even when we didn't really need to hire more models we kept doing these castings as to give more RP. During these days the building felt alive, since different rooms were used by different people at the same time.

Given there was interest to RP as a model, the business didn't lose a lot of money, even before LFM help. Models had to work for free for some weeks before given a contract, and some businesses hired us for commercials. 

If you are into this kind of work RP you should go for it. Pick something that can attract other players. Another good example would be IFC, this MMA fighting RP. They can have recruiters to interview aspiring fighters, doctors to RP the medical examinations, while offering something that is interesting for the server, MMA fights. 

13 hours ago, DLimit said:

Find a method towards making it profitable. Sell goods or a service in a manner that's identical to a call center. Could be a company that surveys people and then sells that information to politicians etc...

The problem is that the vast majority of companies on the server are simply not needed, thus don't generate any demand whatsoever and, in turn, can never be profitable. There is a decently wide range of stuff that sells and works out, but if you want to go out of that range, for whatever reason, to try something unique, you'll ultimately have to face not being profitable.

There are ways towards making stuff profitable, even on GTA World, but most business ideas can't be like that. Someone was giving the example of a company doing office RP and selling printer ink (which now that I think of it sounds very similar to The Office, but ok). There's no way you could make that work in-game. People would simply not buy whatever service or product you're selling enough to make your company profitable (as in, cover for all costs and make you money on top). I tried running a construction contracting business a while back, that did everything from construction to landscaping and maintenance - spent around $20,000 on advertising over multiple weeks and had an astonishing number of 1 call in total. And I was charging something modical. Some concepts are simply not made to work, unless extra attention and encoragement is given to the business on an OOC level.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Van said:

Office workers for sure.

Door to door salesman.

Street food vendors.

Idk, lot of legal things aren't around.

It'd be so great to see more street food stuff around. It's so easy to set up (just buy a food truck and some stuff from a 24/7 for starters), very easy to develop and expand the business, great way to RP. I did that once, it was awesome. Gathered a lot of people, including regulars, every single time. You don't even need donator to place blips down - just park it near an open business, it'll help both theirs and yours. It's also some great (actual) background if you want to RP running a restaurant/coffee shop or even other types of entertainment further down the line. So if anyone sees these 2 messages and is on the fence, go for it please!

Door-to-door salesmen wouldn't be possible because 99.99% of the server is almost never, nor would they have anything to sell/buy.

Office role-play is actually a thing already, but no one actually wants to do it, everyone just wants to see it. You can get a job in, say, HR, for like at least 4-5 businesses, off the top of my head.

Public transport gives life to the streets and railways, creates opportunities and windows for so many avenues of roleplay, for not just legal roleplayers but also the illegal roleplayers too. It's tough to say that it will ever be depended on while taking into mind the ease of access for personal transport within the first few hours of playing a character.

That ultimately leaves it as a passive choice for a roleplayer instead of by necessity, it then also leads to the question.. are people here to roleplay? I'd imagine with the community in its current state, there's a lot more of vicariously living out fantasies compared to those dedicating themselves to a characters journey and grind.

7 minutes ago, ScoobertDoobert said:

Public transport gives life to the streets and railways, creates opportunities and windows for so many avenues of roleplay, for not just legal roleplayers but also the illegal roleplayers too. It's tough to say that it will ever be depended on while taking into mind the ease of access for personal transport within the first few hours of playing a character.

That ultimately leaves it as a passive choice for a roleplayer instead of by necessity, it then also leads to the question.. are people here to roleplay? I'd imagine with the community in its current state, there's a lot more of vicariously living out fantasies compared to those dedicating themselves to a characters journey and grind.

Public transport won't ever kick off unless we implement bots. It can't be reliable. We can't guarantee people having 10 constantly active bus lines to get around the city, with many stops and vehicles coming in every 3-4 minutes. The closest you'll get is a taxi, which can be there in seconds, minutes tops, and costs about the same as some attempts at buses.

And we also have the ease of owning a vehicle. It's basically free to drive (paying $300 on gas every 2 weeks is quite literally nothing) and free to own (same with insurance), so why wouldn't people? You get a free car (for $500) when you join, at the airport, that you can even drive (legally) without a license, and then get $200,000 with options to buy a car starting from what, $5,000-$10,000, so nothing. Even if they don't have their cars, most people abuse /fixveh and /changecha.

And there's no interest in this, from anyone. Most people prefer focusing on more meaningful interactions, as riding buses is something they likely do everyday and it's mundane. I don't think you can conclude that people aren't here to role-play because their characters don't want to ride a bus.