What LEGAL job is underrepresented on the server?

Coburn

5 hours ago, Lurleen said:

I think the easiest and most fun office job you can RP at the server is human resources. When I was rping leading a modeling agency we had specific people to interview applicants and they could also organize corporate events. Its something you can do at any company. We've all had interviews irl while looking for a job, there's no need for specific knowledge to rp HR

I've never done it but it sounds like something fun if you're into it. Seems like you could expand a lot on the role and take it somewhere interesting.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:26 PM, BINGBONGAMERICA said:

Wouldn't mind seeing a small scale UPS-like faction that delivers player-to-player items, primarily to their homes of course. Could have them collaborate with already existing pawn shops or businesses that deal with goods.

Tried this before, there was an extreme lack of interest & it was a good investment for time or money.

4 hours ago, SteveHastingson said:

Tried this before, there was an extreme lack of interest & it was a good investment for time or money.

This is going to be a common issue for a very long time, as you've got two opposing positions. You've got LFM and "tradition" dictating that a business must be profitable scriptwise, and for that... it has to involve actual work.

Then you've got the other side, consisting of most roleplayers in general, who roleplay as an escape from work. Better to grind at jobs that allow roleplay to be the focus without risk of bankruptcy (like the 24/7's) rather than participate in a job that requires actual, realistic work standards to remain competitive or even survive against other businesses that require actual, realistic work standards.

It's either roleplay and disappear because you're not making a profit, or work and lose because there's not enough time to roleplay without getting punished.

There's not much room for a successful in-between for much the same reason a shooter will almost always win against someone who just roleplays their shots - they won't even be able to so much as START writing their paragraphs of flawless descriptions about eyesight quality and reflex speed before the shooter has already observed the risk and killed the roleplayer. Businesses aren't going to slow down either when their competition says "Hey, hold up, we're doing roleplay. If you keep winning, we'll dry up and disappear." The business will keep winning until their competition disappears, even if it's detrimental to the roleplay quality overall.

I had a character chewed out for not driving like a maniac to deliver shipments. When they saw I was emoting every box loaded, they told me to shut up and stop taking so long.

If you want people to join, start by finding a business that can't be sunk into bankruptcy if there's literally no clients. THEN you can start pulling in people.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Applaud 2
On 2/7/2022 at 9:36 PM, DasFroggy said:

If you want people to join, start by finding a business that can't be sunk into bankruptcy if there's literally no clients. THEN you can start pulling in people.

That's quite a hard thing to do. Unfortunately, even if your goal is not making money but role-playing and developing a character, it's basically impossible to find people who share that view to join your very specific cause. Just look at fishing companies, for example - great opportunities to role-play, but no monetary reward if you go with a crew - no one did it. The only exception is faction-owned businesses, but then we're going into a different territory.

11 hours ago, bluecowgirlboots said:

Politics, Financial positions, accounting and real estate being required.  

As a former Investment banker IRL I find it insane that there is no duo diligence when companies are acquired here. 

True but it's honestly not needed. There's a reason why there is due dilligence when buying a company in real life. It might not work out, likely to go bankrupt for a ton of reasons and when it does, you'll be left with a big hole in your pocket. There's basically no risks associated with running a company here - buy a bar for $500,000. It will make a profit. Even if whatever business you bought doesn't work out, worst-case scenario is you'll have to put it up for sale and will be swarmed with buyout offers within the hour.

12 hours ago, bluecowgirlboots said:

Politics, Financial positions, accounting and real estate being required.  

As a former Investment banker IRL I find it insane that there is no duo diligence when companies are acquired here. 

I'm actually starting one in the next day or two, so if you're trying to get involved let me know. It's both finance and real estate, but mostly finance since real estate is nearly impossible to do here on GTAW.

On 2/7/2022 at 8:36 PM, DasFroggy said:

Or have another job to fuel your cool RP business, it's what i have to do to cover it all. To pay for the leases and all the rest i have to work as a manager at another business, otherwise it would be guaranteed bankruptcy lol. and even then:

image.png.495af65de49b7dc55e50897fe1d95474.png

And there's no fleet of elegys or anything, it's just the office, the helicopter, internet, security. 

Ofc the problem is that then i get called a mallrat because my char has more than 1 job lol you just can't ever win. Bcs you're held to the same profitability standards as a bar/club so either you work 2+ jobs to sustain your rp business or it dies after a few months.

Edited by San Airdreas

I've tried making an accounting office once but except giving OOC advice to newcomers on how to proper create their bar/club, I just had two clients that actively roleplayed with me. Wasn't profitable since I had to pay for the office, script for business and everything else. Although, I know these days you can request funding if your business is high quality enough to fill their requiriments, still there should be a more straight forward system for business to profit.

4 hours ago, San Airdreas said:

Or have another job to fuel your cool RP business

I've been told that this is explicitly disallowed. If it's possible to do, I've got literally millions of dollars to pour into an office space type roleplay environment where roleplay is prioritized over any possible profits I could make from it.

6 hours ago, Mahitto said:

That's quite a hard thing to do. Unfortunately, even if your goal is not making money but role-playing and developing a character, it's basically impossible to find people who share that view to join your very specific cause.

You brought up another point I absolutely forgot to mention - not only does the business need to have the ability to survive with zero clients, it needs to still pay the workers.

The gas station jobs do this, which is why people still work them far more than any other profession. It allows roleplay AND employee gains without actually being dependent on consumer participation.

More jobs need to be like that. Problem is... jobs CAN'T have those benefits, and LFM has no interest in anything like that existing.

Edited by DasFroggy
On 2/9/2022 at 10:57 AM, DasFroggy said:

I've been told that this is explicitly disallowed. If it's possible to do, I've got literally millions of dollars to pour into an office space type roleplay environment where roleplay is prioritized over any possible profits I could make from it.

You brought up another point I absolutely forgot to mention - not only does the business need to have the ability to survive with zero clients, it needs to still pay the workers.

The gas station jobs do this, which is why people still work them far more than any other profession. It allows roleplay AND employee gains without actually being dependent on consumer participation.

More jobs need to be like that. Problem is... jobs CAN'T have those benefits, and LFM has no interest in anything like that existing.

People can always have a unique script that sells a specific item, allowing people to earn $4,000 an hour. I.E. An office of a company that sells printer ink or all-purpose cleaner. It'd be sort of a "Call Center".

Edited by DLimit