What LEGAL job is underrepresented on the server?

Coburn

THe main issues basicly with these kind of businesses is staffing and payment.

Yesterday, I made $20.000 from my rentals, a record gross-profit which I still cant quite grasp. However, the day before that, I barely made $1200 from the rentals. This makes it highly impractical to hire someone for the rental services, while I do could use a second hand. Solution? Unpaid interns, which almost no one does in GTA:W, let alone in this area of operations.

Now, we do operate tourings. However, I can't do those alone, and I'd need to hire a Captain for that. Captains usually get paid a lot. But can i pay them? Absolutely not; I simply do not make enough money for that. So, I thought of a commission system; the Captain keeps X percent of ticket sales. Does this attract players, no, because they can make more by bartending or guarding a club.

If budget requests were a bit more lenient to these businesses, we'd be able to provide more roleplay simply by paying our staff appropiately. Sure, I could increase ticket prices, leading to less sales, and to less profit. I mean, the romantic sunset tour is already $800.

1 hour ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

THe main issues basicly with these kind of businesses is staffing and payment.

Yesterday, I made $20.000 from my rentals, a record gross-profit which I still cant quite grasp. However, the day before that, I barely made $1200 from the rentals. This makes it highly impractical to hire someone for the rental services, while I do could use a second hand. Solution? Unpaid interns, which almost no one does in GTA:W, let alone in this area of operations.

Now, we do operate tourings. However, I can't do those alone, and I'd need to hire a Captain for that. Captains usually get paid a lot. But can i pay them? Absolutely not; I simply do not make enough money for that. So, I thought of a commission system; the Captain keeps X percent of ticket sales. Does this attract players, no, because they can make more by bartending or guarding a club.

If budget requests were a bit more lenient to these businesses, we'd be able to provide more roleplay simply by paying our staff appropiately. Sure, I could increase ticket prices, leading to less sales, and to less profit. I mean, the romantic sunset tour is already $800.

Have you thought of some sort of partnership with the Port Authority?

23 minutes ago, Koko said:

Have you thought of some sort of partnership with the Port Authority?

Port Authority has twice expressed they are not interested in such a partnership or liaison. However, a different project is in the works in which they are interested, but due to PM regulations, I am not allowed to spearhead that as I already own a business. So thats currently on hold, unfortunately.

Some jobs are only fun if you achieve a critical mass of engaged employees. But a lot of business owners just want to own a business for the sake of RPing a business owner, not because they're into the actual RP involved in the business, and it shows. So they'll hire the minimum amount of people they can get away with and not actually engage with the business other than maybe be around for openings.

Take kitchen work. I've had a great experience RPing in a restaurant that was focused around actual restaurant RP. We had 3+ kitchen staff each opening, a host, multiple wait staff, etc. It was fine dining, it was high stress, there was yelling and drinking and cocaine.

By contrast, half the time I contact someone about a job opportunity on my cook character, I'm told I'm "The Cook" because there won't be anyone else in the kitchen. This includes high-end fine dining places. Or there's some illegal faction associate forced into the job. Personally, I'd rather not have an actual script-wise job than RP sauteeing scallops by myself. You might as well just NPC the kitchen, especially if it's cut off from the actual patrons.

I mentioned kitchen because that's my experience, but I feel like this goes for a lot of jobs. It can be fun if you have a crew or a place of business with other employees you can do work RP with and create a workplace social dynamic. That's the fun part. Just doing job emotes for the sake of doing job emotes, without some kind of meaningful interaction is going to bore most people.

Edited by peasoup
19 hours ago, peasoup said:

Some jobs are only fun if you achieve a critical mass of engaged employees. But a lot of business owners just want to own a business for the sake of RPing a business owner, not because they're into the actual RP involved in the business, and it shows. So they'll hire the minimum amount of people they can get away with and not actually engage with the business other than maybe be around for openings.

Take kitchen work. I've had a great experience RPing in a restaurant that was focused around actual restaurant RP. We had 3+ kitchen staff each opening, a host, multiple wait staff, etc. It was fine dining, it was high stress, there was yelling and drinking and cocaine.

By contrast, half the time I contact someone about a job opportunity on my cook character, I'm told I'm "The Cook" because there won't be anyone else in the kitchen. This includes high-end fine dining places. Or there's some illegal faction associate forced into the job. Personally, I'd rather not have an actual script-wise job than RP sauteeing scallops by myself. You might as well just NPC the kitchen, especially if it's cut off from the actual patrons.

I mentioned kitchen because that's my experience, but I feel like this goes for a lot of jobs. It can be fun if you have a crew or a place of business with other employees you can do work RP with and create a workplace social dynamic. That's the fun part. Just doing job emotes for the sake of doing job emotes, without some kind of meaningful interaction is going to bore most people.

This 100%. So many jobs could be so much more fun and engaging if people weren't as greedy as to hire the minimum amount to make scripts work. The fun in kitchens comes from chefs busting each others' balls, the ability to RP with a buddy instead of being condemned to RPing alone, chugging out /me's for two hours on your own for pretty much crappy pay.

I wish more people wanted to actually be involved with businesses and live them as mini factions. I tried to promote that in my club but honestly, hiring staff that is a) capable; and b) consistent are what have me not really feeling like opening the business anymore. We had amazing times RPing cleaning the place, driving around in vans for stock/deliveries, and generally just goofing around, but even when I offer the best salaries in the industry as well as possibilities for consistent passive RP surrounding the business, people are just engaged with the openings if at all to begin with, but it's just hard to even find people to begin with because nobody wants a job.

Edited by Koko
7 hours ago, Koko said:

This 100%. So many jobs could be so much more fun and engaging if people weren't as greedy as to hire the minimum amount to make scripts work. The fun in kitchens comes from chefs busting each others' balls, the ability to RP with a buddy instead of being condemned to RPing alone, chugging out /me's for two hours on your own for pretty much crappy pay.

I wish more people wanted to actually be involved with businesses and live them as mini factions. I tried to promote that in my club but honestly, hiring staff that is a) capable; and b) consistent are what have me not really feeling like opening the business anymore. We had amazing times RPing cleaning the place, driving around in vans for stock/deliveries, and generally just goofing around, but even when I offer the best salaries in the industry as well as possibilities for consistent passive RP surrounding the business, people are just engaged with the openings if at all to begin with, but it's just hard to even find people to begin with because nobody wants a job.

Even if you have the best intentions, this ^ can really get to you. It's fun running a business that's a tad more complex than the bare minimum, but it can really get to you when you'll have to reserve 2 hours for every single opening to hire a full team over and over again, because the previous one either quit or is offline.

Most players who portray civilians don't focus that much on a single business to enable such cool passive role-play, though. You can't really blame them - it's hard to coordinate so many people to be online for a certain amount of time, at the same time, multiple times, and it can get stressful. It would, however, be nice if people were to pick one or two businesses and shape their characters around them, somehow, but that can't be forced.

I agree with the niche roleplay shops, I had a shoe store open for the longest time but I didn't get a lot of sales because people didn't want to come buy shoes they cant actually see on their feet.

what kept me afloat were customers who just supported the roleplay

Edited by Juicebox.