What LEGAL job is underrepresented on the server?

Coburn

31 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

So, it's essentially impossible to create a roleplay focused job. We've veered so far away from roleplaying for the sake of fun, that people are clamoring to justify work ingame being a second job with actual real world studies being needed just to participate. 

Couldn't agree harder with this. Just last night. I was running an errand for another character and I had to /pm them in-game just to double check if they were expecting a script item or not, because the roleplay I was doing gravitated around me getting some items for this character, which aren't readily available to player's already. (Fortunately they just wanted me to roleplay it all, not actually obtain said items.)

It's definitely a shame and I would love to see more players challenge the "script jobs" we see on the server and not be afraid to create roleplay-only jobs, which have no script benefits.

40 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

So, it's essentially impossible to create a roleplay focused job. We've veered so far away from roleplaying for the sake of fun, that people are clamoring to justify work ingame being a second job with actual real world studies being needed just to participate. 

I second this. We're unfortunately veering towards a level of hyper-realism that will be anything but useful. I've seen countless of cases, especially lately, in which there's a massive, usually impossible barrier for entry for most jobs. It's crazy and especially demotivating for someone wanting to try out something new.

It's everywhere, too. I understand that some people enjoy going more in-depth, in more detail, but not everyone does, not everyone can and being able to go into the smallest details about what you're role-playing does NOT mean that the role-play is of good quality and it's most certainly not pleasant for many, many people. I've seen it with mechanic garages requiring trainees to have in-depth knowledge of how cars work, some medical units requiring actual in-depth real world knowledge of advanced procedures and such, even weapon stores requiring extremely extensive knowledge of weapons and gun laws. It's counterintuitive but from my point of view, going into that much detail is not pleasant in any way, shape or form - not as a participant, not as a viewer either. In the vast majority of cases, it's not stuff that you can learn by doing some research either.

It's a shame that so many of the few businesses that we have veer towards such practices. It would be much better to focus on realism and valuable character development than it is to know the exact size of the wrench and the exact maneuver in which you twist it for best grip, or whaveter.

1 hour ago, Mahitto said:

I second this. We're unfortunately veering towards a level of hyper-realism that will be anything but useful. I've seen countless of cases, especially lately, in which there's a massive, usually impossible barrier for entry for most jobs. It's crazy and especially demotivating for someone wanting to try out something new.

It's everywhere, too. I understand that some people enjoy going more in-depth, in more detail, but not everyone does, not everyone can and being able to go into the smallest details about what you're role-playing does NOT mean that the role-play is of good quality and it's most certainly not pleasant for many, many people. I've seen it with mechanic garages requiring trainees to have in-depth knowledge of how cars work, some medical units requiring actual in-depth real world knowledge of advanced procedures and such, even weapon stores requiring extremely extensive knowledge of weapons and gun laws. It's counterintuitive but from my point of view, going into that much detail is not pleasant in any way, shape or form - not as a participant, not as a viewer either. In the vast majority of cases, it's not stuff that you can learn by doing some research either.

It's a shame that so many of the few businesses that we have veer towards such practices. It would be much better to focus on realism and valuable character development than it is to know the exact size of the wrench and the exact maneuver in which you twist it for best grip, or whaveter.

To provide some context, I wanted my character to be a secretary or just an office drone of some sort.

The closest I could come was studying real world caselaw to become a lawyer. While I do enjoy the experience of being a public defender and the various insights it gives to real world legal battles, this was in the most cruel twist possible, the easiest possible avenue into roleplaying in an office environment. The other jobs require actual studies into engineering, accounting, software/web management... to work an actual second job for pretend money with roleplay consisting of little more than rare visits from largely unseen management figures to mention impending deadlines.

1 hour ago, Wremlish said:

Couldn't agree harder with this. Just last night. I was running an errand for another character and I had to /pm them in-game just to double check if they were expecting a script item or not, because the roleplay I was doing gravitated around me getting some items for this character, which aren't readily available to player's already. (Fortunately they just wanted me to roleplay it all, not actually obtain said items.)

It's definitely a shame and I would love to see more players challenge the "script jobs" we see on the server and not be afraid to create roleplay-only jobs, which have no script benefits.

If it were somehow within my ability to do so, however possible, I'd want an office to exist that anyone could work at, where the work consists of roleplaying with other workers. No product, no script function... Just go about roleplaying stuff in an office. Want to hang out in the break room? Do it. Want to collectively try to work on the photocopier before someone from maintenance shows up? I'm all for it. Want to lounge at the watercooler, chat with friends in your cubicle, fix/destroy photocopiers, coldcall potential clients, etc? If I could make it happen, I would.

But I can't.

There's just no profit in creating a roleplay focused environment, and rules are set up that make financing one nigh impossible. Without money, the job cannot exist. 

I need to emphasize that I don't want any personal profit out of this either. I just want an office job that doesn't require real world office education. If some.method existed through which to make this available for everyone else without any profit to myself, I would go for it in a heartbeat. But there isn't. 

Edited by DasFroggy
1 hour ago, Mahitto said:

At some point there was a lack of mechanics and I had a character who had the perfect background for a garage, so I thought why not? I even OOC'ly had a *bit* of knowledge on engines and maintenance. And holy shit. I was told my RP quality was insufficient, so I asked what the owner of the garage considered quality and required, so I could improve.

The dude gave me an example on a "normal maintenance RP". Note that all that RP is done at the back of the garage, with nobody able to see it. Essentially, he (on his own self) copy and pasted a flurry of insanely detailed emotes about engine maintenance for like 5 or 6 minutes straight :x And once more, with no interaction possible since it's too far from anyone. I never applied for a garage again and completely changed my character concept. 

For office jobs I had a similar issue. An illegal char of mine wanted a legit job to justify their income, and they had a bachelor's degree in marketing. Turns out a company IG was recruiting a marketing manager. Cool! Problem is, they OOC'ly expected me (the player) to produce pictures and assets, aka a designer's job, then launch full-on marketing campaign online and offline (recruiting flyer distributors, ads with /createscene, ...) and a /TON/ more. It would have taken me 3-4 hours a day of RL time to do it all. Tbh I'd have been just fine with 1/10th of that workload and being paid a symbolic dollar - my objective was just to do some passive office RP with other workers and have a legit job. Not to work as an actual marketing manager on GTAW for GTA money :x I mean, I could, it's my RL job, but I do it for RL money lol

1 hour ago, Topinambour said:

At some point there was a lack of mechanics and I had a character who had the perfect background for a garage, so I thought why not? I even OOC'ly had a *bit* of knowledge on engines and maintenance. And holy shit. I was told my RP quality was insufficient, so I asked what the owner of the garage considered quality and required, so I could improve.

The dude gave me an example on a "normal maintenance RP". Note that all that RP is done at the back of the garage, with nobody able to see it. Essentially, he (on his own self) copy and pasted a flurry of insanely detailed emotes about engine maintenance for like 5 or 6 minutes straight :x And once more, with no interaction possible since it's too far from anyone. I never applied for a garage again and completely changed my character concept. 

For office jobs I had a similar issue. An illegal char of mine wanted a legit job to justify their income, and they had a bachelor's degree in marketing. Turns out a company IG was recruiting a marketing manager. Cool! Problem is, they OOC'ly expected me (the player) to produce pictures and assets, aka a designer's job, then launch full-on marketing campaign online and offline (recruiting flyer distributors, ads with /createscene, ...) and a /TON/ more. It would have taken me 3-4 hours a day of RL time to do it all. Tbh I'd have been just fine with 1/10th of that workload and being paid a symbolic dollar - my objective was just to do some passive office RP with other workers and have a legit job. Not to work as an actual marketing manager on GTAW for GTA money :x I mean, I could, it's my RL job, but I do it for RL money lol

Couldn't agree more.  Balance in all these things is crucial and individual should need to have an understanding of what the job role is, but not necessarily a full understanding of how to go about doing it, the business should put systems in place to support the individual.  Plus the money thing is a serious issue.

8 hours ago, Topinambour said:

This and @DasFroggy's comment are really on point. It's at the very least disheartening to see such impossible barriers of entry being put on legal jobs, and that's certainly something that discourages lots of people from trying out new types of legal role-play. Hell, even for a simple bartender job, you can be expected to know (by heart) the exact way in which every single cocktail is made, along with the exact quantities, techniques and garnishes.

If I want to hire a chef, I won't accept them doing "/me does pizza" but I won't be expecting them to name the thickness, type, armoa and flavor of the salami they use either. Maybe if people knocked some off of this extreme hyperrealism, we'd see more interest in role-play that's currently unaccessible to most people. If we expect people to have extensive and professional knowledge of these concepts, we're simply just playing self-inserts.

No one enjoys seeing so much detail, and few people enjoy adding it.

18 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

This and @DasFroggy's comment are really on point. It's at the very least disheartening to see such impossible barriers of entry being put on legal jobs, and that's certainly something that discourages lots of people from trying out new types of legal role-play. Hell, even for a simple bartender job, you can be expected to know (by heart) the exact way in which every single cocktail is made, along with the exact quantities, techniques and garnishes.

If I want to hire a chef, I won't accept them doing "/me does pizza" but I won't be expecting them to name the thickness, type, armoa and flavor of the salami they use either. Maybe if people knocked some off of this extreme hyperrealism, we'd see more interest in role-play that's currently unaccessible to most people. If we expect people to have extensive and professional knowledge of these concepts, we're simply just playing self-inserts.

No one enjoys seeing so much detail, and few people enjoy adding it.

To echo yours and someone else's sentiment, I applied for a garage job and the questions that were asked to even get in the door as a trainee were so in-depth and detailed that not even my attempts at googling the questions during role play was sufficient enough. I wanted my character to sound semi-competent and I was by no mean copy/pasting answers, but I was certainly paraphrasing for good quality. One of the questions I couldn't even find a good answer to. I understand we're striving for realism here but that kind of hyper-realism is just way over board. I suspect this strive for hyper realism is what's led to a lack of interest in many of these jobs, let alone the in-game money. I totally get we want to strive for quality, but we can't expect people to have certificate/degree level knowledge of these jobs. That's just insane.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, 99 said:

To echo yours and someone else's sentiment, I applied for a garage job and the questions that were asked to even get in the door as a trainee were so in-depth and detailed that not even my attempts at googling the questions during role play was sufficient enough. I wanted my character to sound semi-competent and I was by no mean copy/pasting answers, but I was certainly paraphrasing for good quality. One of the questions I couldn't even find a good answer to. I understand we're striving for realism here but that kind of hyper-realism is just way over board. I suspect this strive for hyper realism is what's led to a lack of interest in many of these jobs, let alone the in-game money. I totally get we want to strive for quality, but we can't expect people to have certificate/degree level knowledge of these jobs. That's just insane.

Ppl are crazy yeah. They're unable to discern the difference between making your emote interesting and semi realistic. You don't need to be a IRL mechanic to know you need a wrench, a jack and a new wheel to change one. That's all you should need to know to fulfill an emote. Hell back when I was a mechanic late 2020/early 2021 I wouldn't even emote half of what I was doing. Customers found it far more engaging to be invited in to banter with me about inane subjects while I wandered around their car doing various fitting animations and a light emote every now n then. Used to get ppl spending half an hour to an hour just chatting with me, completely having forgotten about their vehicle half of the time. Mechanic RP has fallen far since then. Now everybody just wanna type 6 emotes of hyper technical rubbish nobody can even see lol

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, L I C E said:

Mechanic RP has fallen far since then. Now everybody just wanna type 6 emotes of hyper technical rubbish nobody can even see lol

hardcore gtaw players foaming out their mouth when their mechanic doesn't know where every single bolt is on their car

but to answer the question, I wouldnt mind seeing some more blue-collar stuff, especially construction working. I remember back when the server started construction firms were a thing and it was mandatory that you contacted one when you requested a building. 

Edited by DirtyVago